Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Lisakitz

Unhappy Looking for info On my dad

Hello racing fans. I just registered to this amazing website. Im so happy I found it. Im looking for any information or photos about my father. His name is Bill Oatman and he was a stock car driver at Englewood in the 50's. His car was always #19. I have three trophy's he was awarded, and Im sorry to say the only other information I have is from whats engraved on them. The first one says "Classic Champion, 1955 RMSCRA" and then his name. The second one says "Geo Pfalmer Coors throphy 1957 class "B" Pikes Peak speedway" and then his name. The last one says "RMSCRA 1959"B" Main event co-champ #19, Ben Baker, owner, Bill Oatman, driver. As a young girl I remember him having many trophys on display in our house (prob about 40). So he must have been amazing. Sadly these three are all that remain. So if anyone can help me out I would be so thankfull.
Lisakitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: Looking for info On my dad

Hi Lisa, welcome to the site!

I wish I could help you out with more info on your dad Bill Oatman, but unfortunately, what little info I once had on him is long gone. I once had a 1961 Englewood program that featured a pic of Bill in a dark colored sedan #19 with a small story about him inside. In the late '80's I loaned a guy a few of my old programs and never got them back. This program was one of them.

In rooting through what I do have, I see Bill Oatman in the Englewood driver listings from the mid-'50's up through 1961. This would mean that your dad not only ran on the dirt, but asphalt as well, as Englewood was paved in 1960. A '56 program has him co-owning the #19 with John Sapp. Sapp is also listed as owner/driver of #119. Ben Baker is listed as owner of the later #19's that Bill drove.

Best I can do (at the moment) is this Englewood Top Ten listing I found.

Bill Oatman is also mentioned sometimes in the results of some of the Englewood news articles in racefan2's albums of "Fritz Wilson Articles #1, #2, #3" here on the site. It's a lot to root through because there are Lakeside articles mixed in with the Englewood ones, but you can find his name there. Wish I could help you out more. Hang in there and check back, hopefully something else will surface sometime. There are also some Pikes Peak Speedway guys on the site who might find something as well. If I run across anything I'll post it here in this thread for you. Welcome again!

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 03-26-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
Lisakitz

Hey Jerry, so I cant tell you how happy I was to read your message. Thank you so much for your time & effort. Its so cool to see my dad's name mentioned. Really hoping to see a pic though so I'll keep checking back.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
Lisakitz

Click image for larger version

Name:	Victory Lap...jpg
Views:	184
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	4278

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	4279 Hi Jerry,
It's been so long since we've talked, I kind of had to put my search on the back burner for a while. But now I,m back with something VERY exciting to share. I was able to locate some amazing racing photo's of my Dad at Englewood Speedway, and even one with the name you mentioned 'John Sapp' painted on the side of his car. I don't know how I would go about finding the dates these may have been shot, except in the photo where he is receiving the trophy, it looks like the lettering on the jacket of the man standing next to him might say "Sam 1958". Let me know what you think?

Last edited by Lisakitz; 09-27-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

These are fantastic, Lisa! Thank you so much for sharing these on the site!
(I left you PM as well)
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote