Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: Track Photographer, 1950, Englewood Speedway

Thanks Bob! You are the missing piece to a puzzle I've been working on for quite a few years.

When Charlie Codner bought Englewood Speedway from Ed Clark & Carroll Quelland in 1950, Codner did some track renovation before the season started. Another big renovation of the facility was done again before the 1952 season and the track was touted in newspaper ads as "The New Englewood Speedway". Through my research I narrowed down the seating change to either '50 or '52, but those I interviewed who were there at that time could not remember. Your recollection now leads me to believe that the grandstands were moved to the North during the 1952 reconstruction of the track. Thank you!

Over the years I ran across a couple other Englewood photographers who had thrown out their negatives and prints because they figured no one would be interested in them years later. Kind of sickening to think about all that great history rotting away in a landfill somewhere. I'm glad you saved yours and shared them with us.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Bob Baerresen
Bearsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
Thanks Bob! You are the missing piece to a puzzle I've been working on for quite a few years.

When Charlie Codner bought Englewood Speedway from Ed Clark & Carroll Quelland in 1950, Codner did some track renovation before the season started. Another big renovation of the facility was done again before the 1952 season and the track was touted in newspaper ads as "The New Englewood Speedway". Through my research I narrowed down the seating change to either '50 or '52, but those I interviewed who were there at that time could not remember. Your recollection now leads me to believe that the grandstands were moved to the North during the 1952 reconstruction of the track. Thank you!

Over the years I ran across a couple other Englewood photographers who had thrown out their negatives and prints because they figured no one would be interested in them years later. Kind of sickening to think about all that great history rotting away in a landfill somewhere. I'm glad you saved yours and shared them with us.
Glad I saved my negatives also, Jerry Lee....
"If life were a mountain we all had to climb, and the land below us was where we have been. Then as we get older, and our vision starts to dim, and we can't see beyond our noses, then an album of images would help us fill in, all our many successes and multiple sins. The picture we don't take today, a billion won't buy tomorrow".
If you can find and contact Ray Bridgeman, who is around 79 years old, he might be an encyclopedia of Englewood Speedway information. In 1950 Ray was the 18 year old "Flagman in training" at the Englewood Speedway. He might still live in the Metro Denver area.
Bob Baerresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
Mitch G.

Bob, what fascinating stories, must have been good times. Funny how some path's don't cross, LeRoy Byers is considered one of the finest auto racing photographers in the country, he's 80 years old this year, he also started shooting in 1950, he followed the midgets the most as he started attending the midget shows at Lakeside in the 1940's. LeRoy was in Korea in 51' and 52' I think, he has a huge warehouse on Cherokee street where he keeps numerous midgets, one of which is the fully restored Lloyd Axel #5 Kurtis Offy, it's beautiful.
Almost any auto racing publication regarding midgets or midget history has his photo's, and he was featured in an article in "Open Wheel Magazine" sometime in the 80's, he shot thousands of black and white photo's from 1950 till the late 1980's. My dad turned 80 in July he to was in Korea in 51 and 52, he raced coupes at Lakeside from 1955 till 1958 and raced a midget at Englewood on the dirt for the 1959 season. Keep posting your stories, and any photo's you find, your history is valuable to the sport!!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
Bob Baerresen
Bearsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Bob, what fascinating stories, must have been good times. Funny how some path's don't cross, LeRoy Byers is considered one of the finest auto racing photographers in the country, he's 80 years old this year, he also started shooting in 1950, he followed the midgets the most as he started attending the midget shows at Lakeside in the 1940's. LeRoy was in Korea in 51' and 52' I think, he has a huge warehouse on Cherokee street where he keeps numerous midgets, one of which is the fully restored Lloyd Axel #5 Kurtis Offy, it's beautiful.
Almost any auto racing publication regarding midgets or midget history has his photo's, and he was featured in an article in "Open Wheel Magazine" sometime in the 80's, he shot thousands of black and white photo's from 1950 till the late 1980's. My dad turned 80 in July he to was in Korea in 51 and 52, he raced coupes at Lakeside from 1955 till 1958 and raced a midget at Englewood on the dirt for the 1959 season. Keep posting your stories, and any photo's you find, your history is valuable to the sport!!
Howdy Mitch.... I'm now 77, soon to be 78 in September, and in 1951 I joined the Navy and stayed for ten years. Had it not been for the Korean war I might have become a Denver Post Photographer because that's where I was working from 1948 until 1950 and had great photo instructors there. Taking pictures at the Englewood Speedway was my hobby, and who knows, racing might have become a part time occupation as both a driver and a photographer... Still love to drive fast, but I've never done professional racing. I think I've posted all the pics I took at Englewood, but if I find more I'll post them. For three years I was Stationed at NATO/SHAPE Paris and could drive my 1955 bright red Nash-Hudson Rambler Station Wagon (that I bought with my 6 year reenlistment bonus) over the speedometer's limit of 100mph and was still going, downhill, to Paris... On some of the French highways built when the Germans occupied France they didn't have speed limits. I used to take my buddies to a Pigalle bar in Paris, at 100mph, where one night the ladies of the evening held a mock election and made me the Mayor of Pigalle! Ah, to be young again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nash-Hudson 1955 Rambler.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1287  
Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
webby
Administrator

Bob your pictures are awesome. A lot of these old pictures get posted several times so many of us have seen them in books or prints or online but all of yours are new to me. That's what makes this site so valuable, we get to share and preserve stuff that might have otherwise slipped into obscurity.

Here are the photo's Bob posted in his ARM gallery in case any of you haven't snooped through them yet.

webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #16
Bob Baerresen
Bearsun

Quote:
Bob your pictures are awesome. A lot of these old pictures get posted several times so many of us have seen them in books or prints or online but all of yours are new to me. That's what makes this site so valuable, we get to share and preserve stuff that might have otherwise slipped into obscurity.

Here are the photo's Bob posted in his ARM gallery in case any of you haven't snooped through them yet.
Thank's Webby.... I'm just lucky to find this web site, Auto Racing Memories, and being 77 years old I'm glad I can share these pics before I slip into obscurity!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #17
numbbers
Old Guy

The #19 is my uncle, "Bob" Russell. He is also in the group photo on the left of the middle row.
numbbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
Bob Baerresen
Bearsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbbers View Post
The #19 is my uncle, "Bob" Russell. He is also in the group photo on the left of the middle row.
Howdy numbbers.. I was able to add that info to your uncle's picture, but ran into touble trying to add his name to the group picture. I deleted the first group picture I posted, but unable to repost the one I edited tonight after adding your uncles name. I'm going to try and post it here.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mile High Racing Assoc Publish.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1928  
Old 11-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #19
opos

Man, what a memory lane for me...I had posted a while ago about "growing up" around the Lakeside Speedway in the late 40's and early 50's and your pictures were wonderful to review....going to delve into your memory for a minute...My Mother (passed at 97 in 2004) had a gentleman friend by the name of Frank Lort...he said he'd been "a flag man" at Lakeside back around that period of time...any chance you might recall the name or possibly even recall him...wonderful man and knew many of the cars by number and driver. Any recollections much appreciated..
Bob Kern
opos
opos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
englewood speedway