Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:32 AM   #1
Shilala's Speed Supply

Default Hello, and thank you for the pit space here ....

I'm George Shilala Jr. I live in Arizona and am 65 years old .

My father is the man who started out as a welder, became foreman, then also took on quality control at Kurtis Kraft .

He realized that KK was not set up to repair damaged cars, and so he started his own shop to fill that need .

As for myself, I graduated HS in 1969, worked in GM dealerships days while going to college at night . Worked as a zone service trouble shooter, and media liaison for Pontiac, and then moved to Delco Moraine Proving Grounds Lab in Van Nuys California .

Since my mother prevented my dad's dreams of me moving up from go-carts to midgets, I lost my love of open wheel glory and ended up in powerboats . I was 12 at the time .

"Yes mother, I do need that big engine in that little boat to pull skiers" . I got involved in the high performance inboard boat equipment and rigging business, to feed my need for speed on the water .

One day GM went into turmoil and I turned my 'hobby side line business' into my full time meal ticket . It was not easy .

Within a few years, our shop was busy with boat work and capable of much more . We began to take on movie and TV special effects, and no matter how the boating economy changed, the FX business kept rolling .

I've been retired in Arizona for over a decade, looking high and low for cars my father had built . Some I remembered, some are in museums, some in private collections, but all bring a good feeling to me . Looking for just the right car to bring home, and display with other items close to my heart .

My father passed in 2008, and I have boxes of photos from his house . I also have a number of original single fuel cap castings, and the drawings for the linkage, I found in the attic of his garage .

I was born in 1951, so remember my age when you ask specific questions of the early 1950's .

Thank you again, George Jr.
Shilala's Speed Supply is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: Hello, and thank you for the pit space here ....

Welcome, you are indeed part of United States auto racing history...you can't say much about Frank Kurtis without talking about George Shilala, he was instrumental in furthering Kurtis race car business. Tell us more when you get a chance, and share photo's if you have them.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote