Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #41
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: ENGLEWOOD SPEEDWAY The Figure 8 Revolution

(J.L. McGuire collection) Ready for the green flag for this 1970 semi main event at Englewood.

(J.L. McGuire collection) 1966 Figure 8 action. A good shot of Englewood's old neon sign on
Oxford can be seen in the background.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Cliff Hudson (right) and friend pay a visit to the old concrete
flag stand during late '60's action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Bob Olson's twin '57 Fords during 1968 action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Clay Shores wheeled one of the "Reeder Green" triplets owned by
Butch Orszulak in 1974.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Larry Woodhead also drove one of the triplets in 1974. The third
green '57 Chevy, Junior Reeder's #141 can be seen in the background.

(Pete Brandenburg collection) 1968 action with Pete Brandenburg #80, Bert Brasz #68, Bob
Robertson #33, and Lee Stogsdill #18.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Harold Farrier and his Eighter from 1965.

(Roger Avants collection) This is the result of Durwin Cody #174 running the X on Roger
Avants one night in 1974. Unfortunately for Cody, this happened to be Roger Avants back up
car. Roger then had to use the front half of the #174 and the back half of his totalled #74 to
make one car to finish the season with.

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) Figure Eighters hot lap during the 1977 season.

(J.L. McGuire collection/Photo by Al Duran) Tommy Darrow was the last Englewood
Figure Eight champion in 1979, copping his 8th career crown.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 04-15-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: tire smoke
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #42
ALVIS

ummm Scabby that pic with Tommy Darrow in the chevelle is my pic i took that.....just letting you knoe
ALVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #43
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

My bad, brotha! I changed the credit. Not sure where I got the wrong credit for that one, I've had it for so many years.

BTW Al, didn't you have an uncle or relative that used to run the 8's in the mid-'60's??

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 08-31-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #44
ALVIS

THANKS SCABBY,MY UNCLES EDDIE GARCIA#89 YOU HAVE A PIC OF HIS 57 FORD,AND STEVE GARCIA FIG 8# 67 THANKS WE'LL TALK TO YA SOON...
Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #45
ALVIS

THIS IS THE PIC WITH MY UNCLE EDDIE THE WHITE 57 FORD# 89 LOOK CLOSE WE LEFT THE GRILL,SIGNAL LIGHTS AND DOOR HANDLES ON,HMMM I WONDER IF WE COULD GET AWAY WITH THAT TODAY...
Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #46
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Here's the pic Big Al is talking about, his uncle Eddie Garcia in the #89 dives under the carnage happening during 1965 Figure 8 action at Englewood.

If you've ever seen other ARM member Craig "The Assassin" Moore's beautifully painted and lettered cars over the years, then you know it just runs in the family. Here's one of his Uncle Kent's awesome looking Eighters from 1971, driven by Greg Higgins and lettered by Pete Brandenburg.

(Kent Moore collection) Looks like Pete forgot the extra "E" in "Guaranteed Alignment"!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #47
parrot

I'm enjoying all this figure 8 stuff, Jerry Lee, keep it going. Looks like there was an auto dare devil show going on that same evening. Wonder what the "longest head on crash" was?
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #48
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot View Post
I'm enjoying all this figure 8 stuff, Jerry Lee, keep it going. Looks like there was an auto dare devil show going on that same evening. Wonder what the "longest head on crash" was?
Just a guess Bill, but the 'ramp truck' looks similar to the one that Orval the Daredevil Clown drove around the country at that time. Orval Kisselburg once held the Guinness Book of World Record for "Longest Head-on Crash" into some junk cars in the '70's and had made a few appearances at the track in that time frame.

.....and I never get tired of looking at old Figure 8 photos.....

(J.L. McGuire collection) Chuck Kacin (right) and crew with one of his trademark pink
#98's, I believe from 1973. Check it out, our own "Professor Coupe" Chris Ertler is the guy
on the far left!

(J.L. McGuire collection) Bob Maldonado #64 and Crash Mullins #84 tangle near the
edge of Lake Codner during late '60's action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Art Richards wheeled 'The Widow Maker' to a top ten finish
in the point standings for 1967.

(Mel Keller photo) Bill Dinkle's big ol' #96 survived a plowing at the X in 1970
and came back for more.

(Eddie Biondi collection) Jay Newton owned this Eighter that took a tumble in 1965,
but I'm unsure who was driving it.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Arnie Kautz, the 1965 ERA Figure Eight champion only got to
enjoy the crown for a few months as Arnie, his wife, and some track personel were killed in
a plane crash on 2-24-66. Dig how stock these cars were with the emblems, chrome trim,
door handles and keyhole cover still attatched to this 4 door Ford.

(Mel Keller photo) Bert Brasz was always a top ten contender when he hit the 8
throughout the '60's.

(J.L. McGuire collection) If this were a color photo you would probably need sunglasses to
dig this beautiful bright orange Tom Eller owned #3 driven by Roger Burnett during the 1975 season.

(J.L. McGuire collection) What happened to this driver?? A frustrated Don Forsyth threw a
tantrum after being rear-ended for stopping at the X during a 1978 semi main.

(Mel Keller photo) Calvin Hutchings and his Texaco Racing Team seem disappointed they didn't
get the 'Best Looking Car Award' for 1970.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 09-29-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Go ask Alice...
Old 09-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #49
lakeside #29

Jerry Lee, you are correct regarding the year of the Chuck Kacin Ford Victoria photo. It was 1973.

The third man in the pic is Bill Roebuck. Bill lived across the alley from Chuck and I lived nextdoor. Bill and Chuck were both from Pittsburgh, Pa. But they hadn't known each other until they were in Denver. Bill was a cousin of big league pitcher Ed Roebuck who pitched for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Chuck found this car while on a family trip while visiting then wife Katy's family in Otis, Co. It was a '54 Ford and spotless when Chuck brought it home. I don't remember any rust and no body damage. Can you imagine what it would be worth today? At the time this was under construction I was invoved in building my #93 Lakeside coupe, when I had time I helped Chuck in the garage. He hauled the car up to Jim Moore's garage when it was time to weld in the roll cage. Chuck had gotten a square tube cage from "Porky" Swan. Jim welded it in and I think welded the top back on. I was there the night Chuck painted it. Remember this was before Home Depot or the other big box stores. He had gotten the paint a Benjamin Moore, color #614 i believe. But he hadn't picked up thinner, he thought he had some in the garage. So being resourseful he thinned it with gasoline. It worked pretty good everywhere but the roof. It refused to stick. Finally after a couple of attempts we got in car and went King Soopers and picked some flat black spray paint. I stood on one side Chuck on the other and the car was two toned. I don't think anybody ever caught on that the black was covering a mess up. It looked good. Mike Young came over and did the lettering, one of his trademarks were the little swirls around the numbers. The front wheels came from Larry Dechant's shop. He didn't have Hoosier 7" wheels in stock so he pulled a couple off his pickup. Chuck did pretty well with this car and toward the end of the season sold it to Darrell Smith.

The sponser Sir Richard's was a pretty cool place, Peggy and I went there when we were dating.

Those days were a great time to be racing, you could work in a little one car garage. You didn't need an enclosed trailer. I remember guys pulling their cars to track on the end of a chain. Chuck did. We pulled my modified to Lakeside one time on a chain. Guys used wreckers, ramp trucks, anything to get to the track. Like i said it was a great time to be there.

Does anybody remember a guy named "Chief"? I think he hung around with Benny Garcia. And his cool old black Dodge wrecker?

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #50
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Hey Chris, I remember someone named 'Chief', see if it sounds like the same guy....When I raced at RMNS in '93, I kept both of my cars at the Mr. Badwrench lot where a guy named Chief was staying in a trailer there, keeping an eye on the place I guess. Real nice, big ol' American Indian guy who always towed out one of Darrell Smith's Figure 8's to CNS in the early '90's. I rode around the CNS track with Chief in an old red truck in '91 a couple of times, trying to dry the track off after a rain. Maybe he worked with Skunkie in the '70's.

....and one more question if I may Professor.....what exactly was Sir Richard's, Ltd.?? Seeing it on the car and in the program all these years, I always assumed that it was a place that sold antique furniture.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 09-30-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: see reason #98