Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #51
Chris McGee

Default Re: Tatterall's Midgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmciau View Post
Fair enough. Your comments reinforce my views of Tattersall's integrity.

I can certainly vouch for Bob Tattersall (in 1959/1960) bringing into Australia an Iskenderian Flat Tappet Camshaft for Bill Wigzell's V8/60. It made a huge difference to the performance of that engine. (Bill had scaped together all the spare money he had so Tatts could get the cam for him.)

I was present in Bill's Garage when the individual flat tappet relief was cut into the block and the camshaft was fitted.

The V8/60 was in the 'old' Brabham-built Kym Bonython Twin which originally had the "For whom the Bull Toils" decal on the bonnet.

Mike
Bill was sure an impressive driver. Probably one of Australia's best ever. I remember seeing him run Alec Rowe's supercharged Peugot a few times and marveled at how quick he was. Even when he came to Sydney he was quick.
Chris.
Chris McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #52
mmciau
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McGee View Post
Bill was sure an impressive driver. Probably one of Australia's best ever. I remember seeing him run Alec Rowe's supercharged Peugot a few times and marveled at how quick he was. Even when he came to Sydney he was quick.
Chris.
Yes, Alex Rowe told me several times that on one visit to the Showground, there were moves to ban the supercharged Peugeot from competing.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

Recent picture of the Pug. This car Tattersall certainly took notice of as in 'race form' it didn't have too much paint on the nose and right hand side!!
mmciau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #53
Chris McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmciau View Post
I can certainly vouch for Bob Tattersall (in 1959/1960) bringing into Australia an Iskenderian Flat Tappet Camshaft for Bill Wigzell's V8/60. It made a huge difference to the performance of that engine. (Bill had scaped together all the spare money he had so Tatts could get the cam for him.)

The V8/60 was in the 'old' Brabham-built Kym Bonython Twin which originally had the "For whom the Bull Toils" decal on the bonnet.

Mike
I was too young and it was before my time, but Bob had a lot of success with V860's. He drove the Paveese Ford "Offy Killer" and actually beat the Offies at Terre Haute Indianna in 1955. That car was previously the Edelbrock car that Roger Ward beat the Offys with at Gilmore.Later Bob won a championship in Tony Saylor's V860 before getting an Offy.
Chris McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #54
mmciau
Rookie

I have just completed the scanning of the late John Yonggy Thompson's album. One of the images in the Album is:

Robert George Tattersall on 13 February 1970 at Rowley Park Speddway, Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21694538@N07/14692545253/
mmciau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #55
bobjeffreson

Man.... That is the look of a racer that will not be intimidated and has come to win.
bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #56
GeoffB
Rookie

Maybe slightly off-topic, but the Offy which Jimmy Davies brought to Australia in 1964 to tour with Tattersall and Tolan is for sale in Australia. This car was reported to have been driven by Allen Heath and a couple of other US west coast drivers before Davies.

The car was purchased from Davies in 1964 by the Mulcahy brothers in Brisbane and driven very successfully by Bill Goode for a number of years. The car has been restored and has run at vintage shows in Australia.

See Brian Darby's site www.vintagespeedway.com for details

GB
GeoffB is offline   Reply With Quote