Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
mmciau
Rookie

Default Member from South Australia

I am Mike McInerney, living at Marion, South Australia.

Have been a speedway spectator and a helper from mid 1950s to early 1990s.

Rowley Park Speedway in Brompton, South Australia. Speedway Park, Virginia, South Australia 1978 to about mid 1980s.

Was an official at Bagot Park Speedway, Darwin Northern Territory for period 1968 to Cyclone Tracy 1974.

Was 1 of near 200 Australians that undertook the Tracy's Speedway Tour to Indianapolis 500 and other race meetings in May/June 1974. Visited Edmonds and Culbert (CAE) workshops in California.

Predominately a midget speedcar follower.

Mike
mmciau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
bobjeffreson

Default Re: Member from South Australia

Hey Mike,
Welcome to the site from another Aussie. You'll find this a fascinating place.
Any old shots of Rowley Park?
bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
mmciau
Rookie

Default Re: Member from South Australia

All my photographs of everything I did was destroyed in Cyclone Tracy in 1974. Post CT, I was an official for the RDA in SA and was Noise Abatement officer in the last 3 years of Rowley Park so standing 10 metre off the Pole line wasn't the best pplace or time for Photography.!!

My involvement in Speedway was minimal at best.

During the week days, I used to help the late Alexander Herbert Rowe OAM (1913-2010) service the Murphy chassis Rotary used by Stephen Stewart, Peter Maltby and Phil Hereen in the last days of Rowley Park and the 1980s at Speedway Park Virginia. Alex Rowe was an inexhaustable font of speedway knowledge and a brilliant car constructor. His most famous car was the mid 1960s Supercharged Peugeot driven by Bill Wigzell. The Rotary wan't a shrinking violet either. Both cars are Restored Heritage vehicles here in SA

When I was real young (mid 1950s onward) I used to hang around the late William Ernest (Bill) Wigzell, OAM (1930-2012) shed as he prepared the ex Brabham Twin and later V8/60 midget.

Mike
mmciau is offline   Reply With Quote