Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Thomas E

Default Full size Mercury at Lakeside

I was talking with my son and he brought up a car that ran at Lakeside, he said it was white/black (#9?), it was a full size Mercury 4 door hardtop or 4 door sedan, similar to the Lincoln Continental 4 door sedan. For such a large car it seemed to handle fairly well running on the guard rail at Lakeside. The time period may have been around the 80's.

Maybe it was a Lincoln Continental 4 door sedan, don't think it was from the Ford Galaxie or LTD full size group.

Anyone?

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: Full size Mercury at Lakeside

In the '80's Larry Dittman ran a black 4 door Lincoln Continental at Lakeside. If I remember it ran pretty good. He had a speedboat bow light on the roof. That car looked as big as the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Enterprise.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside #29 View Post
In the '80's Larry Dittman ran a black 4 door Lincoln Continental at Lakeside. If I remember it ran pretty good. He had a speedboat bow light on the roof. That car looked as big as the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Enterprise.
Hey thanks lakeside #29...My son says that's it, I thought at the time it did run good for a land yacht. Larry seemed to do well running close to the guard rail too.

This is some fun stuff for my son, we're helping Tom (our son) deal with pancreatic cancer, so the two of us are filling in the blanks about Lakeside and CNS things we remember, it is good therapy.

Tom also remembers the Sunday night that Harold Evens beat Rick Carelli in a heat race, the place almost exploded. Even the two of us were in the middle of some real big hooraying.

This one is for you Tom

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...

Last edited by Thomas E; 11-01-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

I remember that big black Lincoln, but forgot that it was Dittman's.

Larry Dittman is the 1976 Claimer champion at Englewood Speedway.

I haven't run across a pic of that big Lincoln from Lakeside, but here's Larry Dittman
(always running the outside groove) wheeling this big ol' #0 station wagon in three wide
Claimer action at Englewood in 1976.

(Unique photo) Also in this battle are Roger Burnett #1 and Barney Barnett #7.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 11-01-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: ....some static....or the stout....probably static
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote