Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Thomas E

Default AMC cars at CNS?

If my memory is correct, I seem to remember somebody running and AMC car at CNS, I do not recall the number, but I think it was red/white/blue. As to the time period I would say it is 1966-1974.

I'm not sure but the car may have been a 1957(?) Rebel with a 327 V-8.

I wonder how well a 1970 AMC Rebel would have done.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Lynn

Default Re: AMC cars at CNS?

The only AMC I saw at CNS was Chuck Bosselman's Hornet, but I didn't get there very often. Chuck is from Grand Island, NE and ran with IMCA back in the 70's. I heard that Wayne Stallsworth bought the car, but I don't know for sure. Maybe, the red Javelin ran there. I think is was John Balzano's.
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
theflyinfireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E View Post
If my memory is correct, I seem to remember somebody running and AMC car at CNS, I do not recall the number, but I think it was red/white/blue. As to the time period I would say it is 1966-1974.

Larry Ginardi had a Rambler (AMC) I drove it to a 3rd place in the championship standings in the 80's
It had gobs of torque, had to feather it coming off the corners or it would fry the tires even on the dirt.
theflyinfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyinfireman View Post
Larry Ginardi had a Rambler (AMC) I drove it to a 3rd place in the championship standings in the 80's
It had gobs of torque, had to feather it coming off the corners or it would fry the tires even on the dirt.
Thanks for jogging my memory, I remember seeing a picture of that car. I also remember when Larry started racing at CNS, he had been helping Jack Capps (CARC #38) at Lakeside when Bob Couch and Jim Binkley told him about Gene Hefley's CNS, Larry's first car was a '56 Chevy hard top #3, Bob and Jim were running a '54 Buick hardtop. Larry, Bob and Jim helped me why my cars when I started racing at CNS, they were good guys and great friends. Bob Couch passed away in the mid 70's, I saw Jim Binkley in 2001, and I lost track of Larry after he moved transmission shop that was on Sheridan Boulevard a few blocks south of 64th Avenue. I was thinking that someone had told me that Larry passed away, or it was one of his family members, maybe it was Suzzy his wife, not sure, you know the memory works.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
weolson71

Mark Donahue ran a red white and blue #16 AMC Javalin, up and down the west coast 74 and 75, Bobby allison borrowed it at riverside 75, and I dont think he gave it back. It was just before the 75 daytona 500, Possibly owned by Penski. It was a long time ago
weolson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
racefan2
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E View Post

Wayne Stallsworth 1979
racefan2 is offline   Reply With Quote