Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 08-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
garykoster

Default Newly retired sprint car driver

Hi! My name is Gary Koster from Woodland, Ca., and I started driving micro midgets at age 18 and just this year (2015) have decided to hang up my racing career at the age of 80. Drove everything from micros, midgets, hardtops, modifieds, sprints and recently a 1935 2-man Indy car that I built for vintage racing. My last race was in Roseville, Ca, 1/4 mile pavement in June of this year where I set fast time.

I am now interested in building a replica of the AJ Watson Kaiser Alum dirt champ car from 1963 that Rodger Ward drove. I am hoping to gather spec's for the car but would settle for the wheel base as a start. Any help would certainly be appreciated.
garykoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: Newly retired sprint car driver

Welcome aboard! lots of great stuff on here, traffic is slow due to Facebook getting all the attention, but still a great resource here. Did you drive Bob Olds midget in Denver at one time? My fuzzy memory tells me a Gary Koster drove the Bob Olds Offy during a USAC midget show at Colorado National Speedway, mid 1970's? Dirt champ cars typically had an average 96 inch wheel base, not sure what the rules dictated the minimum, or maximum wheel base.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykoster View Post
Hi! My name is Gary Koster from Woodland, Ca., and I started driving micro midgets at age 18 and just this year (2015) have decided to hang up my racing career at the age of 80. Drove everything from micros, midgets, hardtops, modifieds, sprints and recently a 1935 2-man Indy car that I built for vintage racing. My last race was in Roseville, Ca, 1/4 mile pavement in June of this year where I set fast time.

I am now interested in building a replica of the AJ Watson Kaiser Alum dirt champ car from 1963 that Rodger Ward drove. I am hoping to gather spec's for the car but would settle for the wheel base as a start. Any help would certainly be appreciated.
Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos.

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
garykoster

To Mitch G: Not sure how to post a reply but here goes: It was not me that drove for Bob Olds but may have been Steve "Chunky" Koster. And thanks for the approx wheelbase for the champ dirt car. It's like pulling teeth to find out any spec. The 1:18 scale model I have may have to do. Worked for my 2 man Indy car. Thanks again for including me in this forum. G Koster
garykoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
Mitch G.

Yep, you are right, I forgot the "Chunky", name, that's who drove the Bob Olds car.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Vin Tag Sprinter

Gary, do you remember Pro? I have the sprint car he took to Calistoga that got wadded up. Do you know anything about the car? I'm new to these forum things so I don't know much about playing with / on them. But would like to know more about that old sprint car.
Vin Tag Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote