Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #41
impala
Rookie

Default Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Mike the pictures from the 1070 program are up in the community section. I can not get them to post here,
Sunshine Speedway! Wow small world. My son live in Largo and i know the track well. The drag Strip still operates as 1/8 mile on a year to year lease. Yea i hear the same thing that going to open up every year. The place just gets a little more rundown. Really Sad
impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #42
Mike Croley

I didn't realise how much i missed Pikes Peak Speedway . Thanks for posting that program . There are sure some great memories that came flooding back .
And some names i had forgotten .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #43
Mike Croley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKracer View Post
::Just so you know this is Loyds second car that Burt McNeise drove.
I found this photo of both drivers together .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axel_McNeese.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	866  
Old 10-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #44
impala
Rookie

I sure wish that there were more pictures and history on the old track, there must be alot of old pictures and more history some were.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #45
dannyracer6
dr6Motorsports

Smile Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

You Guys,
This stuff is priceless. I gobble it up since I spent 68--72 in Col Springs and hardly missed a race. I did spend a lot of time with Bill Walters and the #83 55 chev. It was candy green and I remember when Bill won his first Trophy dash and his sister in law was the T Queen. I used to have a couple of the old programs, the latest was in 1975 when I came down from Rapid City to visit and came that night with Bill in his #83 red Nova. By that time, Mike Bonicelli had his New speedway out on 94 and PPS was still operating as well.After that, the next time I was in Co Springs was in 1998 for the race at the new PPS. I spent the afternoon at Bill's place. Would like to touch base with him again. You speak of Daniels Chev. I worked there for the years 68-Dec, of 71 then moved to the west coast. Came back for a time and lived in Delta CO. and raced a Monza mod mini there in Olatha at Thundermountain Speedway. Worked for Chev. Dealer there for a year then went back to CA. Now we are in Boise ID., retired and still racing. Will run in Meridian at the 1/4 asphalt track, which is a lot like the old 1/5 just a bit longer. Racing in the PRO 4 Lights. All those names you listed from the old speedway, I remember all of them. Is Carl Foster still around or has he pass on. I never knew his boy. Those names read like a "who's who" in the Colo. racing annals. I raced out here in CA. and use Glen Bowers old "00X for a couple of years on the dirt. I knew him pretty well, although I doubt he would remember me now. You mentioned His Plymouth, they used a 273 V8 in that one. In the early days, 265 chev. 272-292 and 312 fords later the little 260s in ford which Dick Heikes ran and boy did they sound awesome. They then allowed the 273 ply. dodge motor untill they opened up to larger 283, 327 variations, and 289 fords then finally 350 etc. and the rest is history. Remember Alvin brownings 6 cylinder ford wagons? The old chipmonk really gave everyone a run in the V8s. Hey, I just love reading this stuff...Keep it coming.
dannyracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #46
impala
Rookie

Yes sir i have been to racetacks all over the country and that was the best racing that i can remember. I think the main reason was that you could race on a budget. There were cars that were built to the max of the rules and there were cars built in there back yards to have fun with and they never had to run each other at the track. Alvin Browning, the wagon was gone in 69 and at least the first race of 70 but that kind of stuff made for a interesting racing. Seems like there aren't many old fizzers left but i hope we can come up with more pictures of the old track and drivers. Still remember sitting in turn 4 on Sat night like it was yesterday. What a time to be alive!!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #47
dannyracer6
dr6Motorsports

Smile Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Yeah,
Alvin went to mustangs after 69. Most of the ford guys went to the larger motors as did the rest of them as soon as they opened it up. The old y block fords and little 265s were getting absolete and 283, 327 and variations from those for chev, and the 260 289 302 fords were the ticket. By the time they went to the new track out on 94, they were using 350 chevs and 351 fords as well as 302s. My friend Bill used a 327. You mentioned Smitty's #1 garage, I think they had two cars, they use to bring them out on a flat bed truck in the early days. I remember Bill Canty had a real nice I think 56 or 57 after his old 3.2 car. They raced under the name of Canty and Pey I believe. It was a nice piece. Tell you what, I would travel to a get together of the old guys If they ever had one. That would be some deal. Problem is, most of them pretty much put it all behind them and moved on with life. Us guys who like to remince just try to keep it alive. That is the fun of it, at least for me. I like to remember. What we have now days, is not much to remember. But those were REALLY the days. Would be interesting to find out how many are really still around. I used to have some old PPS programs, but they got lost in all my moves. Mike seems to be a good resource for a lot of this good stuff.

Dan
dannyracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #48
Mike Croley

Speaking of Alvin Browning , his #81 Ford station wagon and two of his crew are in the background of the Bill Canty photo posted here .
Many of the drivers of that era are still around Colorado Springs . Mahlon Saunders owns a towing company there . Carl Foster has passed away . Alvin Browning , Larry Martin , Dick Heikes , Bobby Hellem , Mike Bonicelli , Bill Geddes , Jack Gabardi , and Ray Daniels all lived in the Springs as of a couple of years ago . Bill Clarke has an auto parts store in Golden . I believe Ron Cogdill lives in Utah . Dick Foltz has passed on . No idea where Larry Carnes is . I've lost track of Bill Walters over the years . I last saw him at his house way out east of the Springs in about 1975 . I left the Springs shortly after that .
Beck Bectelheimer , the announcer and all around good guy at PPS still lives there and according to one of the posts here still announces . I talked to him at one point several years ago about him going through his photos and programs and maybe posting some things , but i guess he never did . He did say that he thought some of his old programs had water damage .
The official track photographer was Darrell Porter for many , many years . In fact he was one of Alvin Brownings sponsors . When Darrell retired , he sold his photo business and all of his negatives to Sunshine Photo out on Acadamy i believe . They say they only bought the business , that they never received any racing photos or negatives . I asked Darrell about it and he insisted he sold all of his negatives to them . They insist he did not . So.... there may not be a lot of photos available of PPS until someone finds out what happened to that stash .
I did receive a few more photos a couple of years ago that were taken on the last race night ever at PPS . I haven't had them scanned yet , but i will post them when i do .
Old 11-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #49
Mike Croley

And some of the hot shoes from the seventies still live there as well . Harry Wichman is still there i think . So is Bob Silvers . I think Terry Boyce is still there . And Dan Lundstrom . This is as of a few years ago , they may have moved since .
Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #50
Matt

anyone remember Frank Martinez #1, 61 and 006 i think were his numbers? I was not born yet, but my mom and dad talk about this track all the time. My dad is still around and comes helps me with my car now. Im sure if anyone wanted to chat about CSIS, The Turf Club or Beacon Hill he would love to chat. We race every weekend at El Paso County Speedway now. I currently fly the #61 on my 1200 mini sprint. We still have the blue #61 camero and a brown '68 camero #36 I think that car was Ed Belec old car.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote