Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #51
racerjim

Default Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

I spent the summer of 1969 in the Springs in the service. I often went to Pikes Peak and the track on out the road on the left, International?

I was there last summer and couldn't even begin to find where it was. Things have changed out there in the last 40 years a bunch.

I sometimes went up to Englewood (seems like on Sunday nites) to the modified races. That was more to my liking than the stock cars at Pikes Peak.

And mentioning the rubber left on the stands at the Colorado Spring National Speedway I remember that well. In fact I often thought it was much dirtier than the dirt track races I was use back home. Also remember the RMMRA midgets out there as well as the Englewood modifieds coming down about once a month. Remember in early spring a practice day that was bitter cold but we stuck it out.

I will say that Pikes Peak Speedway had some of those late model cars were 1 of a kind cars. I remember the exhaust pipes sticking up through the hoods and the drivers in some of the cars sat on the right side of the car if I remember right. Seen many names on here I recognize. Ronnie McDowell was a top gun and it's sad his life ended as it did. Will never forget the squealing tires and smoke. One other thing I remember ...I learned of the death of young Troy Ruttman Jr. back east in a supermodified while sitting in the stands at Pikes Peak.
racerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #52
Mike Croley

Matt , i do remember the name . In fact i think i remember the car as well , but boy its been a long time , the memories are a little faded . Please , if you can find any photos of your dad and his cars , please post them here . Same goes for any programs from those days . As you noticed in this and other threads , there are a lot of Pikes Peak Speedway fans on this board . Sportsmans Raceway fans too .
Funny how the military is responsible for many of the Pikes Peak Speedway fans . But Colorado Springs is and was a military town if ever there was one . Fort Carson Army Post south of town along with the NORAD underground facility under Cheyenne Mountain . Then there is ENT Airforce Base on the east side of town , within a stones throw of both Sportsmans and Pikes Peak Speedway . And of course on the north side of town is the Air Force Academy . All the guys needed something to do on their time off , and the local stock car races were just the thing .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #53
Mike Croley

Same goes for racerjim , if you have any stories or photos to add to this or the Sportsmans thread , please do .
Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #54
highboy-xlt
Rookie

Here are a few I remember from the time period:

Mike Adragna
Pat Adragna
Larry Martin - #14 (56 Chevy then a 69 Camaro)
Ted Foltz - #27
Dick Hiekes - #711
Rudy Gish - #99 (69/70 Chevelle or Nova)
Steve Davis - #100
highboy-xlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #55
Mike Croley

More and more people are finding this site . Its great ! Those names sure bring back some memories . Ronnie McDowell and Larry Carnes are featured in the Drivers section . I hope you have a few photos from your nights at Pikes Peak Speedway , i'd love to see them .
Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #56
highboy-xlt
Rookie

Unfortunately Mike no photos. That's how I found ARM. I am currently building some replica cars (1/25 scale) and was looking for pictures of old cars. Had found tons of pics at the old Colorado Racing Memories site but of course it's lost. Forgot to save or print any for reference.

Hope someday that the photos from CRM can be relocated and posted. All I have to offer up is some old stories.

I remember Max Geddes in an A Dash Trophy Heat getting the whole rear panels ripped off his Falcon only to continue with the race. He was an aggressive driver and always in the thick of things.

I particularly recall that at Pikes Peak Speedway when races went to a Red Flag the drivers were not allowed to return to the pits. Crews would rush to the infield and do what they could out there while the tack was being cleared.

Ronnie McDowell was an amazing driver, I also liked watching Carl Foster, Larry Martin, Ray Daniels, Mike Bonicelli (I worked at the restaraunt that sponsored his car Nemeth's El Tejon) and Alvin Browning.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #57
Mike Croley

WOW , that last post took me back to the Springs ! I had pizza from the El Tejon at least once every week for twenty years . And the rest of the time i ate at Giuseppies downtown . If you can remember it , please share the ingredients for the El Tejon pizzas , they were great . A lot of oregano i re-call .
The CRM photos apparently are never going to surface again . But some of the folks on this board did keep some of the submissions to the CRM site , and occaisionally the photos show up here .
Yes i do remember the cars being stopped on the track during red flags . I was one of those crew members who ran out onto the track pulling a jack behind me when needed . I started going to PPS when i was real young , my father was friends with Mahlon Saunders . Mahlon was track champion in the early 60s , and still rates as one of the best short track racers i've ever seen . The announcer used to call him " the man who comes to race " .
Old 01-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #58
Mike Croley

Speaking of red flag incidents , i remember several cars tangling in the third turn during the A feature , and Ronnie McDowell went into the wall hard . The steering wheel spun and practically ripped his thumb off . One of the crew ran back to the pits and brought out duct tape . They taped Ronnies' thumb to his hand and as i recall he went on to win the feature .
The photos i posted in this thread are pretty much all i have scanned , but i have some others i'm going to post when i can .
Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #59
highboy-xlt
Rookie

That's awesome Mike. I hope to see some of your photos soon.

I remember Pat Adragna getting up on the wall in turn 2. It was like he was high centered. I remember on holiday weekends they would extend the Main, from 50 laps to 100??? Maybe you recall. I would have been about 9 or 10 years old when I started to go. I went quite often until the track closed. I enjoyed it much more than the new track (CSIS).
Old 01-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #60
impala
Rookie

Wow i forgot about the holiday races and the extension to 50 and 100 laps for the Semi Main and the Main. I do remember that those guys could really tear up some sheet metal. Is there any way some of the old drivers that are still around could be talked in to doing a little reminiscing on here or through a member if they are not computer friendily. There has to be some really good stories that haven't been heard in about 40 years.

Can anyone tell me why in the old days in midwest the last races of the night were the Consolation and the Feature and in the West it was the Semi-Main and the Main?
I only it made to Englewood once, they were running figure 8's and what were late models at the time, mid 50"s fords and chevys. One car that sticks in my mind about that night was a 55 Chevy that changed colors from front to back and its sponsor was Serendipity Motors. Funny i can not remember a customers name from yesterday and yet 40 year old race cars stick like glue.
impala is offline   Reply With Quote