Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #121
83x

Default Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

I had heard he was racing a truck at the fair grounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-11.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	2113   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-26.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	2114   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-1.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	2115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alvin.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alvin Browning.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	2117  

83x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #122
Mike Croley

Thanks Bill . Keep em coming .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #123
Jus' Roach

2011 Hobby Truck Champion

Jus' Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #124
dannyracer6
dr6Motorsports

Smile Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

My Brother had a 55 chevrolet in late 69 or early 1970. It was painted bright yellow sponsored by Denny's resturant . It was not very fast mostly just in the way and usually got into a hooligan race if there were too many cars for him to get into the B main. He had fun, and I got to drive it once. the number was 315 to match the Dennys address on Circle Drive. His nick name by Beck was "Deacon Dave because he was a ministry student at Nazarene Bible College in those days. We had a blast with it. Did by any chance anyone get a picture of it. I have looked everywhere for one. If anyone does have one would appreciate getting a copy of it. His name was Dave Smith and he was partner with Floyd Perrin and Me. We worked at Daniels Chevrolet in the New Car get ready shop on 8th street. Thanks..My address is dannyracer6@yahoo.com.

Dan
dannyracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #125
impala
Rookie

I just wanted to give my orginal post a bump, Come on guys there has to be some pictures late 60's early 70's out there somewhere? Alot of these guys are still alive, don't they have Scrap Books?
impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #126
Mike511
Circle Burner

Impala, here's a couple of vintage PPS pics from prior to when you were at the track, these guys were both legends in later years in sprinter and midgets! Wes Vandervoort and Grier Manning. Oh by the way I saw Alvin Browning at the circle track trade show this year and he's the same old Alvin!

Mike511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #127
Mike Croley

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
I just wanted to give my orginal post a bump, Come on guys there has to be some pictures late 60's early 70's out there somewhere? Alot of these guys are still alive, don't they have Scrap Books?

It's been a great thread . I'm puzzled by the lack of photos too . Bill ( 83X ) has contributed a lot of photos , so has Mike ( Mikes 511 ) . And others have posted photos as well . But i have to think that there are many more photos and stories out there about Pikes Peak Speedway . Willet Willis is a member here , i bet he has some photos . I know that some of the racers who attended the Pikes Peak Speedway Reunion have photos , Bill Clarke and Larry Carnes for instance . And i hope to see some posts from Mahlon Saunders eventually , along with Glen Bowers . And Lanny Webster . Probably not everyone that raced at PPS is computer savvy , and i don't doubt that some just simply don't care about the old days anymore . But before all of the photos and stories are lost forever , i sure hope some of those guys bring them here .
And of course PPS isn't the only track that needs participation from the racers and fans . Sportsmans Raceway Park is another one that has very few photos posted . A number of PPS drivers raced at Sportsmans too , so there should be a lot more on here than has shown up so far . Some of the guys in the Springs need to get Bob Silvers to post some things , now there's a guy with some interesting cars and stories . And i know that Mike Woolley is still around , he's another one that had some amazing cars . Also John Tally and Vern Root . And maybe the Denver modified racers from those days will post some photos . The ERA raced at both Sportsmans and PPS a lot .

Last edited by Mike Croley; 05-11-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #128
Mike Croley

I know they both have many , many other things to do , but if we all ask very nicely , maybe we can convince Bill and Mike to start a crusade of sorts in Colorado Springs to contact as many PPS and Sportsmans racers as possible and collect as many photos as possible and post them here . Or maybe convince the racers themselves to join this site and post their photos and memories . I would very much like to see some more PPS photos of Ray Daniels and i know Mike has an inside track there . When Ray was running the Ford 289 in the Mustang , that was one of the sweetest sounding stock cars i ever heard . Had to do with the 289 firing order i believe . I'd like to see Carl Fosters' cars on here . His son ( who owns Foster Electric in the Springs ) had posted a lot of photos of his dads' cars on the old CRM site .

Lets all ask Bill and Mike real nicely , maybe they can help collect all of the photos and memories for us before it's all lost .
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #129
83x

Thanks for the kind words Mike. I really havent seen anyone around lately, the person you need to get on board is Beck. He told me he follows this site
but doesn't post. I think he knows where there are a number of guys.
83x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #130
dannyracer6
dr6Motorsports

Smile Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

You mentioned Alvin Brownings 289 ford, it was sweet, but Dick Heikes had a little ford 260 in his 55 ford when Alvin was still running the 292/312s. Dicks car had an incredible sound to it. Sounded like the little Indy fords of the 60s.
dannyracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote