Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #131
impala
Rookie

Default Re: Old Pikes Peak Speedway

Hopefully this will get a few more pictures posted, I remember alot of the cars but pictures sure help bring it all back, Different times but racing was so much more grass roots then. While cleaning my Mom's house i found some of my old Car Mags and in that box i found a Englewood Pit Pass, But it was rubber stamped Colorado Springs, I believe it may have come from a event at the Sportsmans. In 1969 at least Sportsmans was not being used on a regular basis not sure why, we wondered then as it was a very nice for the times Race track. Pikes Peak was a sell out almost every week maybe just to much competion. Anyone know if Widner Automotive is still Going? The X Wife worked at Empire Insurance just down the street. Before that i believe it was called " BIG Four Auto Parts" I really hope some more pictures show up.
impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #132
Mike511
Circle Burner

Thx. Guys, I'll email Ray Daniels and see if I can get his old PPS pictures. We still race my mod coupe with the CARC guys so I see him occasionally.

By the way, speaking of cool sounding PPS cars, do you remember Dave Wiggins #05 car with the two 4" pipes coming out the rear of the car, that sounded neat!
Mike511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #133
Mike Croley

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Hopefully this will get a few more pictures posted, I remember alot of the cars but pictures sure help bring it all back, Different times but racing was so much more grass roots then. While cleaning my Mom's house i found some of my old Car Mags and in that box i found a Englewood Pit Pass, But it was rubber stamped Colorado Springs, I believe it may have come from a event at the Sportsmans. In 1969 at least Sportsmans was not being used on a regular basis not sure why, we wondered then as it was a very nice for the times Race track. Pikes Peak was a sell out almost every week maybe just to much competion. Anyone know if Widner Automotive is still Going? The X Wife worked at Empire Insurance just down the street. Before that i believe it was called " BIG Four Auto Parts" I really hope some more pictures show up.
The ERA modifieds came to the Springs a lot to race . They ran at Sportsmans every week if i remember correctly . And they ran at Pikes Peak Speedway once a month i think . The Mini Stocks from Denver also came to Pikes Peak Speedway once or twice a month .
It's been a long time since i was in the Springs , but i know Dan Widner opened a second location out on Academy Blvd back in the 70s . The first store , Big 4 Auto parts was on Colorado Ave. near Cascade . One of the top drivers at PPS , Bill Clarke , was the counter man there . Then they moved to a new location on Nevada Ave and changed the name to Widner Automotive . That's the one that had one of Dan's ex-top fuel dragsters displayed on the roof of the building .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #134
83x

Dan passed away last year of a heart attack. He turned into an avid golfer,
his son Doug is one of my son's best friends I see him at my sons house quite a bit. They had Dan's memorial service at Patty Jewett Golf course. Remember
the Baja trophy that Dan and Bob Siebert won at the Baja 500 that was down at Big Four on Colorado Ave. I was asking Doug about it he said he had it in his apartment. I think the store on the eastside closed in the 80's the one down town closed before that. Dan was living in Florida when he passed. He Sponsored me when I ran at Pikes Peak you see the Big 4 on the quarter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-41.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	3059   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-002.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	3060   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	3061  
83x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #135
Mike Croley

Thanks for the info on Dan . I do remember seeing that Baja trophy . I remember the first Baja entry Bob Seivert built , it was at his muffler shop on Cascade Ave. , just around the corner from Big 4 Auto parts . It was a 55 Pontiac station wagon that had about 4 feet of ground clearance . Now that was a unique Baja race car .
Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #136
Mike511
Circle Burner

Good stuff Guys, I remember all the Widner locations, wish I had all the $$ I've spent in those stores over the years, sorry to hear about Dan's passing, RIP!

I do remember the ERA guys running in the Springs, went to HS with Billy Ager and new Vaughn Ager thru Jim Pratt who owned and built all the cars Vaughn drove. Billy's still around, saw him at the HS reunion a few years back, I know Jim's passed, not sure about Vaughn? They ran mostly at Sportsman I believe.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #137
83x

Mike did you know Jim Pratt I worked for him for about a year, behind
Dunkin Doughnuts. One Sat. mourning I went into the shop it was clear
full of modifies had a rain out at sportsman everyone left their car
there instead of towing back down.
83x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #138
Mike511
Circle Burner

Hey Bill, that must have been quite a site. I did know Jim, he was the epitome of what grass roots racing was all about, never had the big budget, but his cars were always competitive! He could be pretty intimidating when you first met him, but once you got to know him a little, he could tell some great stories!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #139
Grit

I have been looking for pics of Old Pikes Peak Speedway and others in the Springs area for years on end and just today found this forum by pure acident, I was there in 72-73 just fresh back from Vietnam I was with the 4th at Fort Carson, friends and I were at Pikes Peak or what was the other ones name every week that they raced I loved that place ,but like other young fools moved away when I left the Army. A friend of mine worked at aservice station some where there in town can't remember the name but some one there had a race car that we followed around names have left me, but I do remember Ronnie McDowell ,Mike Bonnicele, Spider Anderson( in the midget) and others , I remember I think this is right the car OOX would sometimes run faster in the race than he quallified and then get disqullified which upset me because I loved that car. I would like any correspondence.So glad I found this forum!!
Grit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #140
Mike Croley

Glad you found this site , it's a great source for information about racing in Colorado . If you have any memories from those days , please share them . And any photos or programs would be appreciated as well .
The other track you mention was probably Colorado Springs ( formerly Sportsmans Raceway Park ) just a few miles further east on Highway 24 past Pikes Peak Speedway .
The original 00X Chevy was raced at Pikes Peak Speedway for a few years by Jack Gabardi . It was a very quick car . Jack went into the military and the car was sold to Glen Bowers . Glen ran the 00X for the next few years and eventually brought out a 56 Plymouth with that same number . His partner was Roy Roa . Ran pretty good . I know Glenn continued to race for several years after Pikes Peak Speedway closed , but he stopped using the 00X number and went with 24 i believe .