Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default IVAN CHAMBERS Retrospective

From 1969 – 1975, Ivan Chambers built and drove both Figure 8 and Late Models at Englewood Speedway. He always ran his trademark numbers 95 and 195 with the distinctive IVAN’S AUTO SALES painted on the side. Famous local drivers Tommy Darrow, Dale Deter, Larry Noska, Bobby Cole, Dan Healy, and Al Montoya piloted cars for Ivan over the years. Darrow brought Chambers two Figure 8 championships in the ‘70’s. Mr. Chambers passed away in 1975.

(Photo by Candy Codner) Once located at 1801 W. Evans Ave. in Denver, Ivan’s lot always
had plenty of cars around for the track or the street.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Ivan Chambers was shook up after this fiery barrel-roll during 1972
Figure 8 action at Englewood Speedway.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Ivan Chambers continues to tumble through the South/West turn
at Englewood. Ivan pretty much stuck to just building the cars after this wild ride.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Larry Noska (pictured here) piloted Ivan’s ’66 Chevy Late Model
in 1972. Dale Deter took over the ride in ’74.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Bobby Cole seems to be missing an engine after this nasty hit into
the Englewood concrete in 1975.

(J.L. McGuire collection) One of Ivan’s last race cars in 1975 was this purple ’54 Ford
featuring Al Montoya at the wheel “draggin’ some pipe”.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 12-05-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: IVAN CHAMBERS Retrospective

Great Pictures Jerry Lee.
Thank you for posting them.
Miss Peggy
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
lakeside #29

Hi Jerry Lee, I bought a late model from Ivan in early 1975. It was a '66-'67 Nova that Larry Noska had built. It was the gold #195. The car was a 2-door hardtop that was built on '55 Chevy frame. Larry had quarter elitical springs on the rear. We took the engine from my #29 Lakeside car and made 350 out of it with a new crankshaft and pistons. Terry Boyle did most of the work on it and was going to drive it as #42. It was the same yellow/orange color as my coupe 2 toned with "Hugger Orange". We changed a lot of things on it. We took off Larry's rear trick springs and lowered the heck out of it. I promptly ran out of money and the car never made it to the track. It's another thing right at the top of my "kick Myself list". Looking back I wish we had just put a motor in, painted it and raced it as is. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I sold the car to Dale Erickson, Don's brother. He ran it as #67. He did pretty good.

I used the proceeds from the car to buy Peggy's engagement ring

Chris Ertler

Last edited by lakeside #29; 07-20-2009 at 04:24 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) Ivan Chambers (right) with driver Tommy Darrow during the
1973 season at Englewood. Ivan was another one who ran one of these rare 'glass top'
'54 Fords in the Figure 8 division. Cliff Hudson was also known to run one of these hard to
find cars.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Ivan Chambers had twin "root beer brown" '54 Ford Figure Eighters
for the 1974 season with Tommy Darrow in the #95 (pictured here) and Dale Deter in #195.

One of Ivan's 1974 ads featuring the twin Figure Eighters and the
Late Model that Dale Deter drove.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 12-05-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote