Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
webby
Administrator

Post Greg Cederburg

- Written by Buzz Wendzel

Greg Cederburg (Cheyenne, WY) was the driver and 1/3 of the Cederburg, Noud, and Wendzel (CN&W) #84 race team (circa 1968-1969). I first met Greg in the Cheyenne Intra-city Elementary School Basketball Conference. He led his team as a nimble point-guard, while I occupied the paint as a center for my team. We later attended the same junior-high school on the south-side of Cheyenne.

Greg's Dad owned and operated Lee's Motorcycles: a Triumph, Norton, BSA, Ducati, BMW, Hodaka, Bultaco, and Honda dealer that was located on the old South Greeley Highway. Back then, it was legal to operate a motorcycle on the public-streets at the tender age of 14, but only if it was under 50 CCs of total displacement. Lee, a most talented motorcycle-mechanic / machinist / fabricator, inserted a thin-plate on a Honda 50 between the bottom of the cylinder-barrel and the base of the crankcase; thus, the de-stroked Honda "Less-than-50" was born...and very soon there after, every 14-year-old kid in the area was riding one. At this very young age, I hired on part-time at the motorcycle shop at the flunky-level to help fund my Honda and to learn the motorcycle trade from Greg and his Dad.

Greg and I attended high-school on the east-side of Cheyenne. That is where we both enhanced our ties with Billy Noud, as all three of us took every possible shop class offered in high-school. Greg and I also knew Billy from a few years earlier, as Billy had a bigger Honda 90 that he successfully passed off to the local-authorities as a Honda "Less-than-50." For a while, the three of us raced motorcycles locally at the TT-Scramble Tracks in north-Cheyenne, Laramie, WY, and Burns, WY. Greg and Billy then went a bit further by successfully pursing and obtaining their Professional National Number Plates (white) with the AMA. Together, we built race bikes from lightening-quick Yamaha-twin 250cc two-smokers to mighty Triumph-twin 750cc four-strokers. Together, and with other fellow racers, we traveled extensively to earn their professional-points at AMA events in Colorado at the old Erie high-banked dirt-track, and at various half-mile & mile dirt-tracks located throughout Kansas and Missouri.

When fellow motorcycle-racer, Joey “The Kid” Valentine (Cheyenne, WY), was tragically killed at an AMA race in Missouri, Greg and I suddenly turned our attention toward building a 1955 Chevy 2-door Sedan to race at Intermountain Speedway in Cheyenne. Moreover, Greg had this late-night / early-morning fondness for hitting the concrete-wall in front of the grandstands at Intermountain Speedway with the right-side of his cherry, 59-Chevy, tri-powered, convertible streetcar. And, it always happened right after we had downed way too much "Colorado Kool Aid" at the old Shamrock Saloon that was located just across the Wyoming / Colorado border.

In the beginning, it was only Cederburg and Wendzel. However, it was not long until Noud joined us and we became the CN&W #84 race team. At this point in time, all three of us were only in high-school (i.e. 16-18 year olds). Nevertheless, we had some top-notch mentors to help us learn the ropes very quickly. Earlier in this article, I mentioned the many talents of Lee Cederburg. See the Lou Wendzel forum here in ARM to learn more about my Dad's vast talent and experience. Jack Haun (Cheyenne, WY) mentored us a ton with his skills as a sprint-car builder & driver and as a suspension & small-block Chevy expert. Lloyd Flint (Cheyenne, WY) owned and operated his own garage on the old South Greeley Highway very near the motorcycle shop. For many years, Lloyd helped build and maintain the 32-34 Ford stockcars campaigned by Bill Jones (Cheyenne, WY), Leon Moore (Casper, WY), Al Anderson (Cheyenne, WY), and Dennis Duval (Greeley, CO). In fact, Lloyd taught the CN&W #84 race team how to use his Sun Distributor Machine to set-up our dual-point Mallory distributor, a very tedious and thankless tasks that we performed religiously everyday Saturday morning in Lloyd's garage. Bill "Doc" Levingood (Cheyenne, WY), who built and piloted his own drag cars and dragsters in the Tri-state area, taught us his many small-block Chevy secrets. Whenever you asked the "Doc" a how-to-question, he would always reply with: "Have you read the directions?" The "Doc" always read directions before he worked on anything, and I mean always! Bill McHone (Cheyenne, WY), a talented racecar builder & driver, and a groomsman at my wedding, helped us tremendously when we first started the #84 project in the fall of 1967. Finally yet importantly, Tommy Hansen (Cheyenne, WY) was always available to share his small-block Chevy expertise whenever we asked him. I'd call that a pretty darn good brain-trust to have at your disposal when you're only in high-school and are about to start racing at Intermountain Speedway against the C-Class Big-Dogs like: Kenny Clark #13 (Cheyenne, WY), Bill Jones #14 (Cheyenne, WY), Bob Martin #33 (Casper, WY), Phil Ash #35 (Chugwater, WY), Bill McHone #42 (Cheyenne, WY), Darrell Stewart #66 (Cheyenne, WY), and Gerry Schilling #4 (Ft. Collins, CO).

So, how did the CN&W #84 race team do in our first-season (1968)? Our first-car, the Jerry’s Frontier / Lee’s Motorcycles #84, was pretty much totaled when the throttle stuck WFO and Greg rolled it a couple of times off-track just past turn-one at the end of the front-chute. At the 1968 Banquet: our second-car, the A&W Root Beer / Bob’s Shamrock / Lee’s Motorcycle #84, won Best Looking Car; Greg captured Rookie of the Year; and the CN&W #84 finished fourth in points behind Kenny Clark #13 (first), Phil Ash #35 (second), and Bill McHone #42 (third). At the 1968 Lakeside Speedway end-of-year Colorado open-competition races, the CN&W #84 finished third behind Kenny Clark #13 (first) and right there with some pretty upset Lakeside drivers like Don Carelli. In Don’s defense, the Wyoming cars had a huge weight-advantage, as our cars were completely gutted (i.e. no floor-pans from the driver back to the rear-bumper; no guts in the doors, quarter-panels, trunk, etc.).

And, how did the CN&W #84 do in our second-season (1969)? We built our third-car, the CN&W Chevrolet / Durante’s Shamrock / Lee’s Motorcycle’s #84, in the off-season and then finished fourth in points again behind Kenny Clark #13 (first), Bill McHone #42 (second), and Phil Ash #35 (third). For Noud and Wendzel, their racing season was cut short as they both left for San Antonio, TX to attend military basic-training in early August. Cederburg was able to talk his recruiter into an end-of-season military basic-training date in September.

The Viet Nam War era and our military commitments pretty much put an end to the CN&W #84 race team. Greg continued on with his own race team: 1970 #84 55-Chevy eighth in points; 1971 #84 Chevy II second in points behind Kenny Clark #13 (first) and ahead of Gerry Schilling #4 (third); and 1975 #22 Rocky Turk big-block Chevelle second in points behind Darrell Stewart #66 (first) and ahead of Kenny Clark #13 (third).

Watch for my upcoming article on the Noud, Wingo, and Wendzel #98 race team (circa 1971-1972).
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
MM Action Photography
Rookie

Default Re: Greg Cederburg

I enjoyed this very much, as I grew up at Intermountian Speedway, and all the names you mentioned, Well these were the guys I enjoyed watching race as a kid.
MM Action Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
VintageBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Action Photography View Post
I enjoyed this very much, as I grew up at Intermountian Speedway, and all the names you mentioned, Well these were the guys I enjoyed watching race as a kid.
Thanks, Mike! That is what this site is all about...great racing memories. And I bet that those great racing memories as a kid at Intermountain Speedway is what inspired you to become an action photographer later in life. Can you still remember the C-Class main events back then...24 to 26 race cars, most of them '55 Chevys, taking the green-flag for 30-laps of all-out action and some very close finishes. I can! ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
Evad347
Rookie

Thanks Greg,

I do remember your #84 but more the #22 ( Red and Yellow - I think it was)
Those were the real racin days. But ya have to say it was neat when the
Snowball Express and the Cheytown Hustler and some of those A- Class cars
came about... Thank for the memories.

Dave
Evad347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
MM Action Photography
Rookie

You know, I would love to see a new class start back out at Big country speedway. I would love to see a vintage stockcar class, that ran the 55 chevy's and the old roadsters. I have a great Mini Stock that is just sitting in the shop because I just cant get inspired about racing like I used too. Watching guys like you and Bill McHone and Darrell Stewart just really made that racing experience for me. I really wish I could go back somtimes and watch racing the way its supposed to be. I grew up in the house that sits in turn 3 at BCS. Every Sat-night Uncle Bill McHone and Betty McHone would come to our house and my Parents and The Mchones would watch the races. I remember handing tools to Uncle Bill Mchone while he was working on his old Hudson.
Man those were the days. I really miss them. You take care and keep posting.
A fan Mike Ward
MM Action Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
VintageBuzz

From VB's original article above: "Greg's Dad owned and operated Lee's Motorcycles: a Triumph, Norton, BSA, Ducati, BMW, Hodaka, Bultaco, and Honda dealer that was located on the old South Greeley Highway."

While in Cheyenne on 18-July-2009 for WARC Night at BCS, I stopped by the old motorcycle shop located at 615 South Greeley Highway. It was no longer named Lee's Motorcycles because of a non-compete clause that was signed when Maverick Cycles bought out the place back in the mid-1970s. It was now Capital Motorcycles and it was stocked full of used motorcycles of all makes. And the moment that I walked in the door, I immediately recognized my former boss...Lee Cedereburg who is now 81-years young and still running a successful motorcycle business. It took Lee a minute or two to remember who I was; but once he did, the stories from back in the '60s and early '70 started flowing. And not much later, Greg Cederburg, my long-time friend and the co-owner / driver of our #84 CN&W '55 Chevy, showed up to share stories with Lee and me. Man, it was great to see Lee & Greg again in person. Lee really cracked me up when I first asked him how he was doing now days: "Well, I had to give up racing a couple of years ago (at age 79) because those speedway bikes were getting too hard to hang on to without crashing. So, I just ride on the streets and highways now every chance that I get." Can you imagine being 79 years old and backing a speedway bike into the corners and then gettin right back on the throttle coming out of the turns? Lee & Greg, thanks for all the memories! We'll have to do it again soon. ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Evad347
Rookie

Arrow Re: Greg Cederburg

Well, let me ask you this? Does a real racer - Bikes or Cars or ? ever really give it up? ONLY PHYSICALLY But in their soul....... NAH !!!!!!!

Forever Racin'
Evad347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheyenne