Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
webby
Administrator

Default Re: Spectacular photo's, Midget action

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjeffreson View Post
When I said that there was standing room only....here's a photo that confirms the fact. This Ian Smith image from 1968 shows Tattersall in the #12 Kischell Offy in the thick of the action at the Sydney Showground.
These were the days of almost lock-out crowds!

Wow!!! Now that is a truly amazing photo.

Your photo also highlights why midget racing has lost in "mojo" (in my opinion).

Look at the intimate relationship between the driver and the fan in that photo. The fans can see the drivers. They can see their legs, torso, arms, and head. Midget racing back then was great because you could see a driver working his machine and piloting his craft.

Today's midgets could be driven by remote control and you wouldn't know the difference. You can't see the driver and therefore you have no emotional connection to what the driver is doing.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #22
bobjeffreson

"Today's midgets could be driven by remote control and you wouldn't know the difference."
Webby,
That is absolutely correct......and funnily enough that's what I do for fun. I race 1/4 scale RC dirt sprintcars..check out my avatar..cool hey?

Just to fill you in on the drivers in this pic!
#76 Barry Butterworth.....red hot Kiwi....I think the 1st driver from "down under" to win a USAC Midget Feature....
#53 Rookie Ray Redding......
#98 John Stewart...one of Australias best drivers at the time.....
#25 George Tatnell...father of WoO sprintcar driver Brooke Tatnell.....
#12 Tattersall.

Last edited by bobjeffreson; 11-24-2009 at 03:37 PM.
bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #23
webby
Administrator

I'm pretty sure I saw Barry Butterworth race here in the states several times.

Hey mag (if you are reading this thread) who was the Australian driver that we roomed next to in Concordia back in the early Belleville days? He was in the parking lot working on his car all by himself... no crew... no family... just a dude and his midget.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #24
Mitch G.

Bob, webby is right. Butterworth was up here several times, in the early 80's he was at the Belleville Midget Nationals, I think we were running our car at the time, I might have been running R.A. Kaylor's car. Either way, we were at the Thunderbird Motel in Concordia, KS. If I remember correctly Butterworth had a really well used LTC (or LTC copy) with VW power, lots of guys rebuilt their cars in the parking lot, no big deal. The funny thing about Butterworth was walking by his motel room, door wide open, Butterworth had the VW motor all apart, rebuilding it on top of the furniture in the motel room! I've felt for years, the reason midget racing is on the decline, is the lack of personality of the cars, and escalating cost's of course. When the fan could really see the driver working hard behind the wheel, they did develop a bond with the driver. Now all you see is the top of a helmet behind side panel's. Sure we can't take all the modern day safety features away, but advancing technology, and ultimate safety so no one ever gets even bruised again, comes with a price, that price, the lack of any personality or unique attraction to midget racing. Bob, keep the fantastic photo's coming!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #25
bobjeffreson

Butterworth's 1st win in America.

For the record, Barry Butterworth became the first Kiwi, and non American, to win a USAC Feature race when he won at Haubstadt August 24, 1979.

Butterworth’s win at Haubstadt was remarkable - In the 40 lap event he qualified to start from grid one. Taking the lead from the green, by lap 29 when the only caution of the race was displayed, Butterworth lead 2nd place runner Sleepy Tripp by ½ a lap on the clay ¼ mile track and had lapped all but 5 of the other runners including eventual 1979 USAC Champion Steve Lotshaw, who finished 6th. When the chequered was thrown Butterworth finished ¼ lap ahead of Tripp (2nd), Rich Vogler (3rd), Bob Wente (4th) and Mel Kenyon (5th), these 4 drivers having previous won 9 USAC Midget Championships. In true modest Butterworth fashion, Barry, who won the majority of his NZ races starting from the rear grid, first words after the event were, “anyone can win from the front”!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #26
Jeff Isenhart
Rookie

Quote:
This may be off topic, it's not photos, but I'm new so give a break!
Spectactular video footage.....If you have seen this, enjoy it again... If you haven't, watch this.......Best midget match race ever at the Sydney Showground, 1966.

http://vintagespeedway.homestead.com/1966Match_Race.wmv
wow that was some finish good stuff thanks
Jeff Isenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
webby
Administrator

bob, I think Barry deserves his own thread.

If you get a chance (and feel up to it) you should create one for him.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #28
TPF

Great stuff guys, this is the best!!!!!!! TIM
TPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #29
bobjeffreson

Midget drivers in the pre-roll cage era were brave men.
From Liverpool Speedway, Sydney Australia mid 1960s, John Stewart (left) and Sid Middlemas race for the same piece of real estate. Going by Stewart's left rear and Middlemass' right rear, they are hard on it!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #30
Chris McGee

Quote:
When I said that there was standing room only....here's a photo that confirms the fact. This Ian Smith image from 1968 shows Tattersall in the #12 Kischell Offy in the thick of the action at the Sydney Showground.
These were the days of almost lock-out crowds!

It's amazing that they let us stand on the tin awning next to the pit gates.

Nothing matched the Showground for atmosphere. It used to be pretty loud when 20 midgets were warming up inside the pit. The fumes would engulf the area.
Chris McGee is offline   Reply With Quote