Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Thomas E

Default Malloy Brothers Lakeside Jet-Coupe

This is one of the cars that was CARC'sanswer to "Run-what-you-brung" a Jet Coupe. The Malloy brothers (Jim the driver and Jerry the builder) number 5. 1963 (3) at Lakeside. This was the first car to break the into the 12's at Lakeside with a 12:92.

This car had three other owners and the last place it was located was Utah or Idaho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user4_pic576_1245326282.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	335  

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...

Last edited by Thomas E; 10-22-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Spelling? yes.
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
Quick Time

Default Re: Malloy Brothers Lakeside Jet-Coupe

Wow, what a beauty it was.....if my memory serves me right (questionable) the night they turned the fast lap they were not running the coupes, the #5 was brought out for a few test laps and a exhibition. They had agreed to put it on the clock. When they turned the quick lap it was announced as a new quick time and the next week they made an official announcement it qualified as a new "world 1/5 mile paved oval" record.

Great picture of the Malloy coupe.

Chuck
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Time View Post
Wow, what a beauty it was.....if my memory serves me right (questionable) the night they turned the fast lap they were not running the coupes, the #5 was brought out for a few test laps and a exhibition. They had agreed to put it on the clock. When they turned the quick lap it was announced as a new quick time and the next week they made an official announcement it qualified as a new "world 1/5 mile paved oval" record.

Great picture of the Malloy coupe.

Chuck
Correct . . . We were there the afternoon that record was set on that bright warm sunny Sunday afternoon when Reed Walker announced the Q/T for Jim and the 5 car, and the whole place came unglued. It was the post "Open Season" for CARC at Lakeside - You know "Run-what-you-brung." There were several "Jet-Coupes" running; I would have to say of the field particiapting were two-thirds modified-stockers and the rest Jet-Coupes.

Most of the modified-stockers ran as they did in the regular season, but there some who would add a multi-carb manifold to the sixes or flatheads, some would change over to a small block V-8, like Wayne Stallsworth who took the stock body of his '34 Chevrolet and made a sheet metal body that made it like the "Flintstone Special" powered by a small block Chevy V-8.

It was a lot of fun, the "Open Season" would last for two or three weeks and that would have satisfy our racing have-to-be-there cravings till the next spring when it was time for practice, warm-ups and the shake down runs. And then let the new season begin!

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Old 06-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
superstroke

Don't hold me to it...I think that Mike Barney has this car. At one time, Pat Petrie may have owned it, and sold it to Mike. I may be mixing it up with another, cannot remember.
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
lakeside #29

The Malloy Jet Coupe was definately super fast. I seem to remember an occurance like Quick Time recalled, but it might have been the car that came after the one pictured. It's been a long time and memories for me seem to run together. I do also remember what Thomas was referring to during an afternoon show and I also remember the place going nuts. Thomas, you are right on about how much fun the open comp shows were and so were the old Metropolitan championships. It was the only chance I had to see Englewood cars or Jet Coupes run. The Jet Coupes were really something else, fast and right on the edge. I remember Bill Streeter with a Studebaker V-8 in his #66, John Pachello's #19 with smallblock chevy with 4 2 bbls. on what looked like a Man-A-Fre manifold like on the "Milner" coupe from "American Grafitti". Bart Manley with a Chrysler hemi or maybe it was an Ardun in any case it was cool. Don Palmer with his lay-down engine Hudson 6, which was one of the loudest cars out there and Harry McCool with his cut-down Plymouth coupe with a smallblock Chevy engine with chrome headers with big chrome exhaust stacks. By the way, Harry's Jet Coupe still exists. We ran against it on the dirt with my #29 in '95 at Ft. Morgan. It's owned by Roger Burnette of Dodge City, Kansas. He runs with the Kansas VIntage Racers. Currently it's in his yard without an engine, but otherwise complete.
Rick, I remember Pat's car as being a narrowed tall "T" coupe that ran a smallblock Chevy motor. I can't tell you if it the Malloy car or not but as you would expect from Pat Petrie it was fast.

Chris Ertler
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
superstroke

Ody Fellows hand crafted the nose piece on Jim Malloys #5 Jet Coupe in this picture, shot at Colorados Englewood Speedway. He is still proud to this day that he ws able to create the beautiful piece of aluminum for his friend. It sure does change the appearance of the car, in comparison to the picture above.

This picture comes from Ody Fellows collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	340  
Old 06-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Jeff Isenhart
Rookie

The car that Barney had or has was a tall "t" and i think it had number 12 on it and came from Pat Petrie. It was blue and was the frame and body only. I'm trying to remember if it had Carls Pizzeria on the side as sponsor. But once again old age has dimmed the old memory somewhat.. It would be interesting to find out if Barney still has it. Last time i saw it was at Mikes dads house sitting out back by the old dog run they had. I remember trying to talk Mike into building it but that never happened.
Jeff Isenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
superstroke

Yea, old age or too much beer has interfered with my two brain cells.... I think he still has it Jeff, cus you know old Michael Lynn just as good as me, if not better. You will have to pry...anything, and everything from his cold, stiff dead fingers!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E View Post
This is one of the cars that was CARC'sanswer to "Run-what-you-brung" a Jet Coupe. The Malloy brothers (Jim the driver and Jerry the builder) number 5. 1963 (3) at Lakeside. This was the first car to break the into the 12's at Lakeside with a 12:92.

This car had three other owners and the last place it was located was Utah or Idaho.
A photo history of #5 after the Malloy's sold it.
Stan fuller is shown as the next owner of the #5 car.

Here is the rest of the Vintage Super Mods website.

At the above website home page each photo will have some links that will open for more information about each car. There is a video link above first photo of the #42 super, click on it and you will see a youtube of a "Malloy Roadster" restoration project, it quite unquie, note it for the black (#56) super with the school bus painted on the wing.

Enjoy guys . . . This is fun.

Last edited by Thomas E; 10-23-2009 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Wording, clean-up the copy.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
schafer1

what about the black telephone booth t that bill starks drove number 11 I used to have a picture of it in the back of a ford pu, no trailer needed what about the over sized orange and green monster with the four foot exhausts sticking up off the v8? dont remember who had it but it liked to spin out a lot too long a wheelbase ,it was number 13. what about the little red fiat coupe with the ardun hemi? what about Pete stringers 671 blown chevy, it was out of control all the time when not on fire? there were several others still not listed, long time ago.
schafer1 is offline   Reply With Quote