Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
superstroke

Default Chris Ertlers #48 Lakeside Modified 1972

It is July 1972, and Chris Ertler has repainted his beautiful modified. In this photo, shot at Colorados Lakeside Speedway, in the left top corner, you can see the multi story building belonging to Lakeside Nat'l Bank. The car is parked behind the west side open grandstand. The Speedways famous fence is in the background as well. Chris decided to give a young signpainter named Rick Losh an opportunity to promote his business. To the right of the number, I painted my RSS (Ricks Sign Shop) logo.

Members on the crew includes (from left to right) Chris Ertler, Lonnie White, Gary White, Dave "Cannonball" Clawson and the cars driver, Jim Moore.

A great photo from the collection of Chris Ertler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chris ertlers #48 & crew.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	237  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: Chris Ertlers #48 Lakeside Modified 1972

Rick, I really appreciate you putting this photo up. This Dave Allinger shot is the only color photo that I know of that exisists of this version of the car. I repainted this car while it was sitting on the trailer front my folks house using spray cans . Actualy it didn't turn out too bad. Of course aerosol paint
was considerable different in those days. It was a lot easier to use.
Jim Moore was given my phone number by Ray that ran Gus Collins Co. Recreation Equipment Co. where I worked at the time used Gus Collins for machine work on motorcycle cylinders. Jim's wife "Toots" called me at work and we arranged for us to get together shortly after for Jim to look the car over. He started driving for me right after that. My former driver Chuck Kacin had gone back to racing figure 8 cars two nights a week.
Lonnie White built the engine. We worked together at Recreation Equipment where he was a motorcyle mechanic. Lonnie was a good wrench.
Gary White was Lonnie's older brother. He hauled the car for us and did mechanical work on the car.
Dave "Cannonball" Clawson was a salesman at Recreation Equipment Co. He did mechanical work on the car as well. He a real character. He was a good guy and kept us enterained.
The car had H. Plue ands Sons for a sponsor. That was a motorcycle salvage business run by Gene Plue. I went to work for him a couple of months after this picture was taken.
Better Bilt Transmissions was also our sponsor. That was the late Junior Denning's business.. He helped out so many guys with transmissions that I'm willing to bet that he didn't even remember how many. It was a lot.
The "Rick's Sign Shop" logo was a status symbol to me. I wanted to fit in at Lakeside and I felt having this on my car would help do that. I think it did.
By the way that's Gus Thomas' Ford pick-up in the background

Chris Ertler

Last edited by lakeside #29; 05-23-2009 at 01:21 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote