Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > General Discussion about Racing History

General Discussion about Racing History Vintage auto racing has a very special place in most race fans heart and mind. The cars, the drivers, the spills and thrills. Please share your auto racing memories. Feel free to start threads/topics in this forum that are non-specific to drivers, cars, or tracks.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Default Junk Racers-Old Stories and Photos

I ran on to this site some time ago, and I can spend hours just going through the stories and pictures that old time racing used to be.When you get to the site,click on some of the articles on the left hand side.There's something there for everybody that enjoys the jalopy's and some of the stories that go with them.The site is "junkracer.virtualave.net".Just click JUNK RACERS and have fun.~Olen

Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Thomas E

Default Re: Junk Racers-Old Stories and Photos

Thums up!

In the post photos I see that number 45 has John Zink Co. on the door.

When JZ ran at Indy the would call his cars "Zinkenhauser's"

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
JimmyK

Cool. Check out the old sprint car (chassis and partial body) at the bottom of Finds Page 9. Nice project material.
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Jeff Isenhart
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
Cool. Check out the old sprint car (chassis and partial body) at the bottom of Finds Page 9. Nice project material.
Wow cool site fun to look at and read the stories.
Jeff Isenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Quick Time

Olen,

Damn, what gold strike you gave us. The jalopy home page describes cars at the corner gas stations. That is exactly how I became aquainted with racing. My first connection to a race car began when I washed windows while customers gassed up. A time when every car got air in the tires, oil and belts checked while receiving fuel.

I would get to wrench a few little things on the race car while the boys waited for the station to close so they could pull it in the bay for after hours work.

Great days and even better memories.

Thanks for bringing this gem to our attention, you make great contributions.

Chuck
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Wow! Very cool find, Dad! Now I'm never going to get anything done at work here........
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E
In the post photos I see that number 45 has John Zink Co. on the door.
When JZ ran at Indy the would call his cars "Zinkenhauser's"

Bob Sweikert was the 1955 Indy winner with the John Zink Special which was a 1955 Kurtis-Kraft 500C.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olen McGuire View Post
Bob Sweikert was the 1955 Indy winner with the John Zink Special which was a 1955 Kurtis-Kraft 500C.

Great car. It was also called the "Pink bathtub". A car that I really liked, so I bought a Carousel One 1/18th scale for my bookshelf.

It's color was about that of '55 Ford pink and off white.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
lakeside #29

Olen, What a cool site. I stumbled onto this site awhile back. How'd you like to know where some of these old babies are?

Chris Ertler-"professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside #29
Olen, What a cool site. I stumbled onto this site awhile back. How'd you like to know where some of these old babies are?
Hey 'Professor Coupe',yeah, I also ran into this site a while back,and wondered the same thing about where some of them are now. It took some people a long time to compile a site like that, and I enjoyed it so much that I thought I'd share it with the one's who didn't know it was there.Looking at some of those old pics reminds me of Thomas E's signature on his post's.

"Late at night over by the old speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking and crackling of the "Flathead Fords", the zing of the "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The midget cars rumbling "KK-Offy's", the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the main event," the place would erupt with the echoing of the cheers mixed with boo’s mixed . . . Remember? " Kudos Thomas.