Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
superstroke

Default Butch Wallace #46 Maverick Late Model

From the Bruce Rhoades collection, here is a shot taken from Colorados Lakeside Speedway official program dated July 5, 1987. Butch, his father Arnold and brother Joe put this car together in the winter of 1974. This car was pretty fast, and I can remember Butch gettin her on her side at the Turf Club in Colorado Springs. In fashion for those early 70's, the car sported verigated gold leaf panels and lettering, applied by me, Rick Losh. Butch and I became good friends during those years and in fact, Butch introduced me to Gail, my wife. By the way, Gail and I are celebrating 30 years of marriage on February 25th. Back to the photo....from left to right, Arnold Wallace, Unknown, Joe Wallace, Butch Wallace, unknown and some pimp...er ah....oops! Rick Losh. WOW....I watched Serpico too many times. Those were the days.....what fun we all had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	butch wallace.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	944  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: Butch Wallace #46 Maverick Late Model

Rick, That was a great late model and you guys were a pretty lively crew. I bet the Englewood guys weren't too happy running against a lightweight like the Maverick. I doubt that it weighed even 2000 pounds. Butch was a great driver, I really miss him. We had some amazing years together. Butch liked the steering really tight, and with zero play. He had tremendous arm strength, a lot of drivers couldn't have driven his cars.
The hat was cool, I used to wear a Bell "Sroker" cap at that time so have no room to make a wiseguy remark.
In the background you can see my 93 sign, we didn't change it when we changed to 29. Beyond it you can see Clarence Krieger's 83 sign. It was a good pit spot.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
superstroke

I cannot remember running this car at Ewood Chris, and probably was illegal for that track. But it could pick em up and put em down at Lakeside.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
superstroke

I remember your hat too.....I wore one of those that carried the Indy 500 "Crossed Flags" logo for many years. Crazy stuff. My buddy Leon Walker had the same 10 gallon hat except his was yellow. People gave us a lot of double takes when we were together.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
lakeside #29

Rick, Those were good days. I wouldn't have missed them for anything. I meant the Englewood guys that came to Lakeside. Cars like Flanagan's Corvair, DeChants Gremlin, Bob Land's Falcon, and Butch's Maverick ran real tough at Ol'Lakeside. Even Don Carelli's Nova were pretty light.

Yeah, My hat looked pretty goofy, my buddy Chuck Kacin used to tell me I looked like Jackie Gleason's "Poor Soul". He was right.
Thanks Rick, this thread is good fun.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Jeff Isenhart
Rookie

Oh Rick you were such a fashion guru back in the day
Jeff Isenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
rapid30

I remember the Mavrick, I was only 15 when it came out. If I am not mistaken I think that the air cleaner set right in the middle of the dash. I'm not sure of this but I think someone told me that the put the Mavrick body on the Mod chassis and ran it as a Late Model.
Lakeside's rules for the Latee Models were much more relaxed then other tracks, other than Cheyenne which also had some unique cars such as Darrel Stewerts Vega.
Bruce
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
superstroke

I'll contact Roy Jackson and ask. I think though that you may be correct.