Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Tim_morrison82

Default New Member- looking for info Dick Wareing Ford / Larry Burton

Hi All,

i joined this site to research the dealership that sold my mustang, "Dick Wareing Ford".

I was surprised when i found a reference to a Dick Wareing Ford car racing in Australia!

I am very interested to find out more about his involvement in racing. i have found a pic of a 1968 cobra jet drag car with his name on it, and now a modified car in 1966 in Australia.

Does anyone know much about these cars or any other cars that they may have raced?

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited by Tim_morrison82; 02-12-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Tim_morrison82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
bobjeffreson

Default Re: New Member

The Larry Burton driven Dick Waring Super Modified after a less than successful night at the Sydney Showground Speedway... circa 1966.

A more familiar shot of Burton in the Dick Waring Ford Modified, as he leads Australian premier driver of the day, Bill Warner, in his fully imported CAE Modified at the Sydney showground, in front of 30,000 plus screaming fans.

Last edited by bobjeffreson; 12-30-2012 at 11:33 PM.
bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Tim_morrison82

Cheers Bob!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
LittleFauss

...'Hi Tim! I think that I might be able to contribute some trivial info on Dick Wareing.

"Daring" Dick Wareing was a Sacramento Ford dealer in the 1960's. With his mass media advertising utilizing catchy phrases, tunes and slogans, Dick Wareing Ford probably sold more 1965/66 Mustangs than any other dealership in northern California.

When the time came to stay "one step ahead of the law," Dick Wareing sold the dealership to Jack Gordon. It became Jack Gordon Ford in the same location. Jack Gordon was the father of the late, great young driver, Jimmy Gordon. Jimmy lost his life in a sprint car along with two others at the California State Fairgrounds in Sacramento on October 25th, 1970.

The Dick Wareing/Jack Gordon location in the north Sacramento area of Del Paso Blvd., was quickly becoming a very depressed area. When Jack Gordon sold the dealership, it was moved and even re-moved to it's existing location today as Suburban Ford.

Larry Burton, the "Roseville Rocket," was close to the Gordon family. Larry was a very helpful tutor to young Jimmy Gordon when he first started racing.

1. "Daring" Dick Wareing & Larry Burton

2. (Left to Right) Jimmy Gordon, Jack Gordon, the "Roseville Rocket" and his car owner, Ed Watson **note: Ed Watson gave National Sprint Car Hall of Fame driver, Jimmy Sills his first ever race car ride in a super-modified at West Capital Raceway in Sacramento in 1973. Burton was also instrumental in the guidance of Sills and also helped launch his career in Australia.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
LittleFauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
Tim_morrison82

cheers! that is great info!

Someone tracked me down regarding Dick Wareing last year and sold me a bit of memorabilia from the dealership. i already had the dealer licence surround, however this piece fills it perfectly!

Last edited by Tim_morrison82; 03-23-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
Tim_morrison82

i better subscribe to this thread...