Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Vintage Race Cars For Sale

Vintage Race Cars For Sale Occasionally we stumble across interesting old vintage race cars for sale on the internet. We post them here so we can talk about them and share them with each other.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
webby
Administrator

Default eBay find: Watson Roadster recreation for sale

Description:

Beautifully hand crafted Indy 500 roadster,

On board starter, Fresh rebuilt Motor, Winters Championship magnesium quick change live rear axle, Schroeder steering, Schroeder bars, Fuel cell, Wilwood brakes, Aeroquip lines/fittings, Pearl paint, Real gold leaf and hand lettering, 4130 frame,Ready to go Vintage racing, Note: car is capable of 165 m.p.h. straightaway speeds on a 2 mile track such as MIS.

Built by Automotive artist Gary Babineau, this is Gary's 16th Indy roadster, Gary learned his craft from A.J. Watson himself while living in Indianapolis over a 12 year period. Other works in progress, Kurtis Kraft, Novi's, Gulf Miller, Type 35 Bugatti, Aluminum AC Cobra, 1919 Auburn, Gary builds accurate recreations for private collectors and museums, Recreates cars and pieces that no longer exsist. Your favorite car built to order,custom cars built to your specifications, www.Babineaumetalworks.com for more pictures of this vehicle.

To Date this car has not been on a race track:

any questions please call 260-927-1556

Note:Car is for sale locally, I reserve the right to end the auction early.

Please note this video was recorded with a cell phone, Therefore the audio is very directional especially at the end of the video,

trust me this car is loud!!!

webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Terry Von Tilius

Default Re: eBay find: Watson Roadster recreation for sale

Man! There is nothing like that sound.
Terry Von Tilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Mitch G.

I have mixed emotions about re-creations, no matter how nice the craftsmanship, or accuracy of the final product, I think they should paint the car different. In this case the Willard Battery car is in the Indianapolis Speedway Museum, (restored to it's 1963 Indy winning appearance as it raced in 1964 under Bowes Seal Fast livery) and A.J. Watson himself built a re-creation of this car so Parnelli Jones (who won the 1963 Indy 500 in the original car now in the IMS museum) could have one in his personal collection. When Watson built the original "Ol Calhuon" for J.C Agajanian in 1960, it was all red with a gold #98, why not paint it like that, your still representing the Aggie roadster, just not copying one that has since been copied. Now there are 3 Watson roadsters all built as the Willard Battery Special, sort of auto racing's limited edition full size replica series!?! Just my opinion. Actually there are 4 Willard Battery #98's, as Mac Miller a member on this site, also built a tribute car of the Watson roadster.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
john burton

Any idea what kind of engine is in this? It's not an Offy, but I notice it has two Weber carbs. Maybe a four-banger Alfa?
john burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
Mitch G.

John, your probably right, I don't know for sure, but the replica's I've seen run almost always use the Alpha.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
CTtoPA

His craftsmanship is extraordinary but I don't like replicas in general. It's too easy for someone to get an ego and try to pass it off as the real deal.
CTtoPA is offline   Reply With Quote