Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default PETE STRINGER - The Two Minute Interview

Over the years I've interviewed many local racing legends for various shows, books, and articles, etc. I thought some of you might enjoy some excerpts from some of these old tapes which I'll post once in awhile as "The Two Minute Interview"

Here's part of an interview I did with the legendary multi-champion Pete Stringer from around 1999. The guy was so cool, he sent me a couple autographed photos of his cars from Englewood Speedway to boot!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
JL: "So you grew up at the local tracks?"

PS: "I grew up at Englewood and I'd do anything to get my Dad to take me to the races. I'd wash his car or mow the lawn, anything! And after the races I would go into the pits and look at every last dog, and he'd be sitting in the car, listening to the radio."

JL: "Who were some of your local favs at that time?"

PS: "John Pierce was like one of my idols, he was a very good driver and became a good friend. I became friends with Joe Lehman and he helped me with my first car. He always ran the #6, so I ran the #106 or #96 in tribute to him."

JL: "Lehman helped a lot of guys get a start."

PS: "He really did, and I learned everything I could from him. There's a funny story with Lehman and John Roddy when John was building this real oddball Modified one year when I was first starting out. Lehman and those guys sent me over there to kinda spy on him 'cause I was only 17, y'know? Roddy didn't think this kid knew much, so he let me check it out."

JL: "You were only 17 when you started racing at Englewood in 1962."

PS: "When I got out of high school I decided I was going to build a Modified. Joe Lehman was impressed and him and Sam Chavez, who was President of the club then, fixed it so that 18 year olds could race, and they just kinda shooed me in!"

JL: "Then over the years you raced almost every division the track had to offer."

PS: "Yeah, there was one year I tried to build a Figure 8, Late Model, and a Modified, but it was just too much for one person."

JL: "Tell me a little about those championship Chevelles you ran in the early '70's."

PS: "That first year we ran that small block Chevy engine and I won it by the skin of my teeth. We came back in '72 with the big block Chevy like them guys back East were running, and that's when it just went crazy! That car was just insanely fast!"

JL: "Did you ever have a beef with Junior Reeder?"

PS: "No, Junior Reeder was really a nice guy. I did run a grudge race with Al Unser, Sr. in the '60's though. (laughs)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your Pete Stringer memories here!

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 08-02-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: PETE STRINGER - The Two Minute Interview

(J.L. McGuire collection) Pete Stringer wheeled this wicked yellow 67 Chevelle around the
Englewood oval for Walt Bonds in 1972 for a second straight Late Model championship.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Pete sent me this cool autographed 8x10 of his sweet 67 Camero from 1973.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
lakeside #29

Pete was a great driver who could wheel any kind of car. His modifieds and late models were always right in the hunt wherever he raced. He even drove a Volkswagen mini stock, which really ran. He was about the only competition for Vaughn Ager's Mazda rotary at Englewood in the early '70's.
I'll always be in his debt for the good advice he gave me in 1974, regarding tires. We followed his advice to the letter and it worked out exactlly the way he said it would. I feel it was the last piece of the puzzle that made my first #29 successful. Thanks Pete.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) Jerry Van Dyke (right) presents Late Model main event
winner Pete Stringer with a gift in 1977 at Englewood Speedway.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) Pete Stringer was more famous for running Modifieds
at Englewood Speedway than Late Models, even though he never won a
championship in the division. He came very close in 1972 to a triple crown by
winning both the Late Model and Mini Stock championship at Englewood, but
missed the Modified championship that year by just TWO points. Here's Pete's
cool blue Modified from 1973. Funny that he's wearing the mandatory fire suit,
but sporting a pair of moccasins.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 10-17-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Mitch G.

I remember seeing Stringer wheel this modified, check out those headers. I also remember while riding home in the car after going to the races back then, the ringing in your ears from those wonderful un-muffled exhaust pipes.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Pete Stringer escaped serious injury one night in 1969 at Lakeside Speedway.

The next three photos show Pete's Super Modified losing a wheel coming out of turn 4 causing a shower of sparks. The car then ignites while Stringer struggles to free himself. Attempts to extinguish the fire were futile and the car is left to burn itself out.

(Irwin Fogel collection) Thanks racefan2 for the photos!

(J.L. McGuire collection) Another Late Model win for Pete Stringer in 1971.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Pete also gave me this rare color photo of his 1971 championship car.

(J.L. McGuire collection) 1971 Late Model action at Englewood with Bob Oldfield #244,
Tom Leonard #11, Dave Swan #21, and Pete Stringer #20.