Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default KEN TADOLINI - The Two Minute Interview

I dusted off this 1992 video interview with local legend Ken Tadolini for this week's Two Minute Interview. These snippits include a little insight on Ken's famous father John Tadolini who was one of the earliest pioneers in Denver auto racing history.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

JL: "What are some early memories of growing up at Englewood with your Dad racing and all?"

KT: "One time I was running around and I tripped on the stairs and fell and cut my head open on those concrete steps. My father John was racing at the time, and they red flagged the race! He got out of his car and scaled the big fence to see what had happened after they had announced that I had hurt myself. Well, I had to sit in the ambulance until the races were over before they took me to the hospital to stitch me up! (laughs)"

JL: "Your Dad loved the Englewood dirt, but I think he only ran once when they paved it in 1960. I read where he took out the East pit entrance, then hung his helmet up."

KT: "After they paved it, Dad didn't like the pavement. If he couldn't sling it in the corners, he couldn't get around the race track. My Dad had different drivers throughout the '60's. He had Dick Bayles, Bob Neely, Larry Dechant, Pete Brandenburg. In '67 I became 18 all of a sudden (laughs), and that's when I started. And I was rookie of the year at Englewood in '67."

JL: "And all the Tadolini cars over the years were yellow and black with the #14."

KT: "Right. He always carried the #14 because he had size 14 shoes!"

JL: "What did Englewood Speedway mean to you?"

KT: "Englewood was a lot of fun. I made a lot of friends and know a lot of people because of it."

JL: "You ran Late Models in the '70's at Lakeside as well."

KT: "Lakeside was a challenge, especially with the Late Model. You run a car that weighs 3200 lbs. on that 1/5 mile track and you're always turning, always turning. I hit the fence the hardest I ever hit the fence one night, and I know who put me there! (laughs)

JL: "Who did you like to run with out there?"

KT: "Oh, I can remember running side by side for 20 laps outside Fritz Wilson, we could have shook hands! It was a good race!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Default Re: KEN TADOLINI - The Two Minute Interview

(Jerry Lee McGuire collection)
“John Tadolini tinkers with one of his 3 window coupes from the mid-fifties
in the muddy outskirts of Englewood Speedway.”

(Ken Tadolini collection)
“John Tadolini (left) with the Carl’s Pizzeria crew in 1959.”
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Ken Tadolini collection) Ken Tadolini (left) and father John with the ‘mustard yellow’ #14
Modified in the pits at Englewood during the 1968 season.

(Photo by Unique) Ken Tadolini won this 1977 Late Model main at Englewood by just a nose
over Fritz Wilson #71.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) A still of Ken Tadolini from the 1992 Englewood Speedway
cable TV documentary.

(Ken Tadolini collection) John Tadolini stands in front of his City Line Conoco station
sometime in the '60's. I believe the station used to be located at 4th & Sheridan in
Lakewood.

(Ken Tadolini collection) It took two wreckers to remove John Tadolini's car from the
track after this late '50's accident at Englewood.

(Ken Tadolini collection) One of the many wins on the Englewood dirt for John Tadolini (right).

(J.L. McGuire collection) One of the many wins on the Englewood asphalt for Ken Tadolini.