Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Sprint Cars & Champ Cars

Sprint Cars & Champ Cars The big brother(s) to the midget these open wheel beasts have a rich heritage in our auto racing memories.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Terry Von Tilius

Default "Ossie" Osborn. Indy 1959 and 60

I have been trying to find information on Bus "Ossie" Osborn's Indy entries.
He entered cars there in the late 50's and early 60's
As I understand, my Dad (Walt Von Tilius) was the chief mechanic for Ossie at the '59 and '60 events. ( I have his USAC "chief mechanic" pin from Indy... pretty cool!)
They didn't qualify in either race. (Ossie's car qualified in '61, but Dad wasn't part of the team then)
My big mystery is that I never knew who the driver was.
Since the car didn't qualify no one seems to have a record of it anywhere.

So... If anyone has any memory of that car(s). I sure would love to have any information you have to share.
Terry Von Tilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Thomas E

Default Re: "Ossie" Osborn. Indy 1959 and 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Von Tilius View Post
I have been trying to find information on Bus "Ossie" Osborn's Indy entries.
He entered cars there in the late 50's and early 60's
As I understand, my Dad (Walt Von Tilius) was the chief mechanic for Ossie at the '59 and '60 events. ( I have his USAC "chief mechanic" pin from Indy... pretty cool!)
They didn't qualify in either race. (Ossie's car qualified in '61, but Dad wasn't part of the team then)
My big mystery is that I never knew who the driver was.
Since the car didn't qualify no one seems to have a record of it anywhere.

So... If anyone has any memory of that car(s). I sure would love to have any information you have to share.
This what I remember . . . 60 ? 61 ?

1962 Indy record shows Paul Russo's last run at Indy, DNF, knocked out by a burned or broken piston.

Remember this is been not quiet 50 years ago . . .

At the corner of West Alameda Avenue and and South Lipan, Denver, Colorado; Buzz (as some called him) Osborn had a used car dealership. Behind the small show room was a garage repair area, inside the garage area set a Watson Roadster (?), blue over white, number 62, Denver-Chicago Trucking Special, driver Paul Russo.

In the other corner set a white over red, number 35 KK/Offy midget, owned by a Miller somebody.

Correct me if you need to, remember sometimes things are long ago and far away.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...

Last edited by Thomas E; 11-21-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Thomas E

I did some digging and found this . . .

Decal/sticker from 1962 for Denver-Chicago Trucking Special.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VINTAGE_1962_INDIANAPOLIS_500_CHR0ME_STICKER_SHEETS.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	915  

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Terry Von Tilius

Thanks Tom... You Da Man.

Paul Russo does sound right. Brad Bradford had a picture of that car taken in front of the columnaid at Cheesman Park. Russo (I assume) was in drier's seat and Ossie was behind, leaning over the car. I don't know what happend to that picuture. Mary Bradford might have it somewhere. Beautiful car!

After that location on Alemeda and Lipan, Ossie moved further west to Alameda and Canosa Ct. That's where I met Mario Andretti, in Ossie's shop.
He was in town for the Rocky Mountian 150 at CDR. Mario had won Indy that year, so it was a big secret where the car was being prepped for the race. I don't know how Ossie got Granatelli to take the car there... But there it was! So was Mario! I was 9 years old. I got to have my picture taken with him. My brother was too shy, so he settled for a picture with Johnny Tolan.

Bob Olds took over that lot when Ossie got out of the business.
Terry Von Tilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Mitch G.

Terry, check out these earlier posts on this site, it should answer a lot of your questions.
http://autoracingmemories.com/forums...read.php?t=228
http://autoracingmemories.com/forums...read.php?t=217
http://autoracingmemories.com/forums...read.php?t=512
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
John

I have a picture of that Car with Paul Raul Russo in it. Ossie was a mechanic for my Dad Carl Anderson who owned the number 16 Trio Brass Special that Johnnie Parsons drove in 1956. Johnny Tolan also drove for him at Indy and also sprint cars/Dirt cars. If you are still interested I could get you a copy and share more info about Ossie.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote