Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
opos

Default Hi from a new member that's a really old guy

Hi all...just came across this great site and have been having a really nice time reading about the old days ... in Denver. I was raised in Denver (born in 37) and began going to Lakeside in the late 40's as I recall....seems to me we also went to Merchants Park in the South Denver or Englewood area and I went to Englewood Speedway in the 60's.

I live in San Diego now but still have ties to Denver. My late Mother had a gentleman friend named Frank Lort (long since passed) that said he had been a flag man at Lakeside in the 40's or 50's...I recall the great cars of Lloyd Axel and John Tolan (5 and 55) and how they were the cars to beat. I can still smell the castor oil burning and remember the wonderful times at Lakeside.

When I moved to California I spent a lot of time at the track at Tracy in Northern California and then at Ascot when I moved to the LA area. I've been lucky enough to go to some really great tracks over the years..My Dad and Grandad were absentee farmers in Nebraska (near Albion) and we went to the races all over Nebraska and into Iowa...got to see some of the really top cars (lots of sprints) in the 50's through the 70's.

When I lived in Denver I bought a 52 MGTD from Johhny Mauro that had a Nash dealership on Tejon Blvd in Denver...he was an Indy race driver and drove a Ferrari race car in the 50's...I remember watching him roll the said Ferrari at Centennial horse track in Littleton during a 100 miler...don't recall the year but guessing about 53 or 54.

Lots of memories...sorry to be so wordy but man it really comes back.

Look forward to reading more as time allows.
opos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
webby
Administrator

Default Re: Hi from a new member that's a really old guy

Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos.

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
rapid30

Welcome to ARM opos, you you find as much enjoyment here as we all do. My late father worked for Johnny Mauro and I have an album on here of him
http://autoracingmemories.com/forums...hp?albumid=335
Rapid 30

"Give pint's for half pints", I do
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Quick Time

Welcome Opos,

This is a great site and I hope you enjoy, your description of Lakeside midgets smells brings back those fond memories. I'm in Northern CA and the track you mentioned I believe was Altamont. Great track but like many had it troubles and at this time I think it's closed. Was redone a few years back but did not survive.

I still visit some of the 1/2 mile dirt sprint car shows around here. Stockton 99 asphalt is running again but having a hard time.

Chuck
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
opos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Time View Post
Welcome Opos,

This is a great site and I hope you enjoy, your description of Lakeside midgets smells brings back those fond memories. I'm in Northern CA and the track you mentioned I believe was Altamont. Great track but like many had it troubles and at this time I think it's closed. Was redone a few years back but did not survive.

I still visit some of the 1/2 mile dirt sprint car shows around here. Stockton 99 asphalt is running again but having a hard time.

Chuck
Altamont is the track...A few years I spent some time in Tulare and Visalia in the mid valley area and they had a really active mini sprint dirt racing association...very well run and a nice deal...when I was up there a couple of years later I couldn't find out anything about any of it...may have all gone the way of much of the racing. The races in Bakersfield are great but it's a long drive for me...there is a series in El Centro at the fair grounds that I'm going to check out....we lost out great El Cajon Speedway some years ago....mostly stockers and modifieds but a terrific track and program...the "lot" where it was is just sitting there vacant...can't figure things like that out but that's why I'm old and broke.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
parrot

Hey, Opos! Not so old, at least from where I sit. I was born in '37 also. You and I are among the lucky ones who were on hand as kids to witness the rebirth of auto racing following WW II, the good old days. Looking forward to your stories.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot View Post
Hey, Opos! Not so old, at least from where I sit. I was born in '37 also.

Well now Bill, it's good to have both you kids on here!!
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
opos

Just for "grins"...I'd like to show what we used to do for "racing" way back in the day....here's a buddy with our "racer"....it's a hunk of plywood with a Maytag washing machine engine for an engine...called a "chug"...We'd go to Lakeside and watch the races and then come home and the next day dig out the old "Maytagmobile" and have pretend races...3 of the guys in the neighborhood had them so we'd have a "meet" of our own...Think I was about 12 or so here. Buddy was named Dick Yost and this chug was really his...I had one that was just like it (copied all his designs).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0003.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1926  

Last edited by opos; 11-23-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Quick Time

OK Opos,

This is a little scary......While growing up in Denver I too had a Maytag engine. My buddy and I mounted it on a kitchen drainboard that had been put in the trash. We stuck a pipe straight down with a old wheel mounted on it for a steering wheel. Used old electrical cord to tie to the front axle for steering. Only problem is it would stretch and we would end up with about three turns before moving the front axle. Of course don't remember putting brakes on it but still plenty of fun.

That Maytag was single cylinder, foot pedal start, needle valve fuel control and a large flywheel exposed.

Chuck
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 AM   #10
83x

You guys bring back some good memories. Here's a picture of a car my dad built me, back in the 50s he started with four wheelbarrow wheels and a lawn mower engine.
we had a track in the back yard made pit stops and every thing. I'd hate to guess how many hundreds of laps we made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1927  
83x is offline   Reply With Quote