Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
usaoffy75
Rookie

Default ............New Guy in Town ........

Guys,
Neil here from Orlando Fla...Formerly from Sydney Australia where back in the mid sixties I was pit crew for several midget drivers I had the pleasure to see the likes of USAC Champs Bob Tattersall, Mike McGreevey, Don Meacham,Merle Bettenhausen,Bob Wente,Dave Strickland, Pancho Carter,Johnny Rubberford,AJ Foty,Mel Kenyon,Johnny Parsons Jnr,Billy Mahner,Billy McGuire,Sleepy Trip,Gary Patterson, Larry Rice, Les Scott...to name a few race in the golden years of Dirt Track Speedway...there an't nothing like the sound of an Offy....

I was asked to crew for the famous Mackay Offy team by Owner Don Mackay ..his son Ronald went on to win the Australian speedway championship twice while I was with them. I went on to own and drive my own locally built Chevy11 but like all up right cars they were out classed by the invention of the Edmunds VW.

I then purchased the Eric Kydd Offy from his estate, this car was a kit built by George Shilala in LA and shipped to Mr Kydd who was the Senior Engineer at Qantas Airlines where the car was built with aircraft quality hardware and fittings in fact I would say there is $10,grands worth of fittings on it.. the car was being built for Jeff Freeman who was a Qantas engineer and Sydney Speedway Champion but he was tragically killed before the car was finished,on 9th May 1965... the car sat for many years and was made obsolete again by Edmunds Vw's...the car is a copy / sister of the Hank Green Offy taken down under by Leroy Warrener the Green Offy can be seen in the Kurtis midget book.

Disappointingly the Sydney vintage club banned me for repainting the car the same as the Mackay Offy #75 Jeff lost his life in so I shipped it States side where it now resides in Denver Co with Ron Lesley.The car has never been raced and I am told Arlin Kurtis even thought it was a genuine Kurtis Kraft....not if it was built in 1964.

I have restored a '69 Edmunds Sesco Spring From Cross Bar rear it also has had the hardware changed to aircraft quality as I am now and airlines employee and have access to the good fittings and fasteners..it was a show winner but due to the lack of vintage speedway activity in Texas the car was sold to Charles Butterflas in Denver Co, it is now in the Harry Berry Collection in Sydney Australia.

These is nothing that equals a good night of Midget of Sprintcar racing on dirt...It's the most fun I have had with my pants on....
........Live fast It won't Last .....

Last edited by usaoffy75; 11-24-2011 at 09:08 AM.
usaoffy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links