Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Sprint Cars & Champ Cars

Sprint Cars & Champ Cars The big brother(s) to the midget these open wheel beasts have a rich heritage in our auto racing memories.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
nitro4dave

Default if mitch can't answer the trivia please help

not sure of year span, but ford produced an ohc engine for the champ cars, it might have been used in the sprinters too, that a.j. foyt later had the rights to. the valve/cam covers said ford then foyt cast into them. the question is what was the displacement on this engine? was during the crossover from 270 offy to small block chevy era. thanks
nitro4dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: if mitch can't answer the trivia please help

Ford's Indy engine in 1963 was a standard Ford small block with OHV with Webber carb's, then Hilborn Injection. Ford and Colin Chapman and Lotus motor works put their heads, and about $20,000,000 dollars together and developed the four valve, overhead cam V8, fuel injected, normally aspirated at 255 cubic inches. But still lost to A.J. Foyt, in a A.J. Watson built roadster in the 1964 Indy 500. So USAC cut the Offy cubes, and guys like Watson who built their own cars, and their own engines, in small garages with equally small budgets, finally were beat by the giant car companies in 1965. Not sure when Foyt bought the rights to the Ford 4 cam, early 70's maybe? By the time Turbo charging caught on, all engines were cut in cubic inches, Offy went to 159, by the time the Ford DFS Turbo Cosworth came along it was 168 cubes. I think the first Cosworth champ car victory was maybe 1979?

Here's A.J. Foyt in Watson's sprinter in 1967, at Ascot, they won the feature. Photo from Joe Scalzo's book "The American Dirt Track Racer", Dwight Vaccaro collection.

Here's a 4 cam Ford in a Grant King built dirt champ car.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
Mitch G.

Dave, try to get your hands on this book, published in 1981 one of the best resource books ever.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Mike511
Circle Burner

Loved these cars!!

Mike511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
nitro4dave

QUOTE=Mitch G.;11909]Dave, try to get your hands on this book, published in 1981 one of the best resource books ever.
[/QUOTE] is this a picture book? ask the miisus, if it ain't I iz a produck of public edukshun amd my reddin' skilz r'nt 2 gud. lol I knew you could answer it mitch = "open wheel" prof coupe = 'nuff said fenders = uhh... I didn't call a taxi
nitro4dave is offline   Reply With Quote