Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
superstroke

Default Century 21 Speedway

Century 21 Speedway was located east of Aurora, CO, just north of Interstate 70. The track was very fast and featured a drag strip as well. In this photo, Joe Leonard in the red, white and blue AMX, trys to catch Wayne Stallsworth in the #27 Ford. I loved going to Century 21, but back then, it seemed as if you were driving to Kansas whenever you would venture to there. It really was not any further than CNS.

This photo is from the Archie Johnston collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	century 21 stallsworth leonard.JPG
Views:	1170
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	214  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
webby
Administrator

Default Re: Stallsworth-Leonard Century 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstroke View Post
Century 21 Speedway was located east of Aurora, CO, just north of Interstate 70. The track was very fast and featured a drag strip as well. In this photo, Joe Leonard in the red, white and blue AMX, trys to catch Wayne Stallsworth in the #27 Ford. I loved going to Century 21, but back then, it seemed as if you were driving to Kansas whenever you would venture to there. It really was not any further than CNS.

This photo is from the Archie Johnston collection.
I went to Century 21 several times. Do you remember the individual plastic bucket seats for the fans to sit in?
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
superstroke

I believe that those same plastic seats caught fire or were set on fire. A whole section was destroyed. I also recall, after the track was closed, people going to the track and having there own races. I think this ended when it resulted in a fatal accident. The track was then fitted with piles of dirt stratigically placed to ensure that no one else would be injured.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Mitch G.

I would sneek onto that old track in a pickup truck I was driving for a rental company, and cut laps. It was about 1/3 or small 3/8 mile, and mostly turns!, the straight's were really short. Superstroke your right, some kid got killed in a illegal match race, or something like that, seems to me they also cut trench's in the pavement along with putting the dirt piles on it. The hill for the grandstands is still visible from I-70. I also remember hearing the track owner was going broke, and left the track one night with the receipts, the drivers and owners didn't get paid. I heard a rumor that there were 2 million dollars worth of liens of the property, but just gossip. Too bad it was a neat track, and the plastic "bucket seats" were cool.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
webby
Administrator

And here is what it looks like today....

A little closer look...

webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
superstroke

Default Re: Century 21 Raceways

I was able to attend the AHRA Spring Nat'ls hosted by Century 21 in 1973. Colorados "Green Angels" Funny Car defeated "The Snowman", Gene Snow. That was the biggest upset since "Assassination" defeated Stone, Woods and Cooks car at Erie, CO, a few years earlier. I also recall that Mr. Tice started to build a larger track that would incompass Century 21. The plan was for NASCAR to bring their "Big Guns" to Colorado. I was excited with this idea, but it to never materialized.

When Larry DeChant was running at Century 21, if the race was red flagged, I would always bring Larry an ice cold Pepsi......I don't think Larry liked Pepsi because he rarely drank any. But I prevailed, being the very young and inexpierenced pit crew member that I was in continuing this tradition.....Just wash the windshield Rick! (But Larry, there isn't any windshield!!!!) HHHMMMMM......
Old 05-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
Mitch G.

I walked around the big oval one time, it's about 1 and 1/8 mile ( it was a little bigger than a mile), as you can see in the aerial photo, the 4th turn was paved, and pretty well banked. The rest of the big track was road base when I walked it. As a kid I remember talk of NASCAR and Indy cars coming to the big track.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
thpracing
thpracing

I remembera fellow from englewood f-8 who took his son for a ride along in 82 or 83 and flipped the car. Flight for life came and he's ok...don't remember a fatality---everone used to break in on sat-sun--lots of kids used the dragstrip about the same time
thpracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Bobby Jay

That sure is Wayne in the Ford but I believe "Tommy" Leonard was drivin the Jim Tibbits owned AMC. Afew weeks after this shot was taken Dechant made one of his "Patented" moves and Joe hit the "Mal" formed wall so hard he bruised his heart.
Bobby Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
Bobby Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside #29 View Post
The story that I heard years ago or may be read in the newspaper, was that the track was owned by the man who owned the old American Hot Rod Association. His first name was Jim but don't remember his last name. He was killed in a plane crash. The ownership of the track and the AHRA has been tied up in litigation ever since. They held AHRA national events there a few times.

Chris Ertler
WOW! Where did you get all the "Miss information"? The track was owned by Peter Conway outa Texas The head of construction was Jim Tibbetts who still lives in Longmont Colo today. Jim along with Racing Associates , Aurora co., owned the AMC that Tommy Leonard drove to many track records and clean sweeps many nites in the late model catagory. And yes Pete Conway did snatch up all the money and split. But? That wasnt much dough he snagged... He later did time for stiffing all the investors as well.
Bobby Jay is offline   Reply With Quote