Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default DAVE TANSEY - The Two Minute Interview

It's always a kick when one of your boyhood heroes takes Two Minutes to talk to you. In my case it was Dave Tansey who not only became Colorado National Speedway's first Figure 8 champion, but etched his name in Englewood Speedway's history books as well.

I had a great time talking to Dave when I went on vacation last week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

JL: "What track did you go to as a kid?"

DT: "I actually started going out to Lakeside and I had a neighbor who liked Englewood better, so I went with him one night and it's when the Figure 8's were just starting. I watched them and said "I've got to do that!". So the first two years I built my own cars. When the Figure 8's first started at Englewood it was nothing to have 2 or 3 Hooligans before you ever made it to the semi or the main. My very first time on the race track they put me on the outside pole of one of the Hooligans and I spun it out right at the green flag! (laughs)"

JL: "And then you started hanging around Darrell Smith."

DT: "Yeah, then I started hanging around Baltic Auto. Darrell had Bobby Jackson driving for him and Ray Slife for a year. He had an opening in the second car and that's when they put me in it, and the rest is history."

JL: "I have a program article on you here from 1975.....where they wrote that your biggest fan was Bobby Jackson."

DT: "I think it's the other way around, Jerry. The guy that taught me the most out there was Bobby. I would go to him for advise. So I was either misquoted or you read it wrong. Let me just rephrase that I was Bobby Jackson's biggest fan because he was just....just unbelievable driving a stock car."

JL: "This article also goes on to say that neither you or Darrell had jobs and you spent 8 hours a day working on the car."

DT: "Yeah, well, in between Darrell having Baltic Auto and going in with Dave Sigrist at Arvada Auto, there was a summer there where we didn't have nothing going and we literally lived off the stock car. I was winning a lot obviously, but we'd make money at the horse races and Darrell was so damn good at pool that we could drink all night, but we lived off that stock car for awhile."

JL: "Hanging around with Darrell over the years, you must have been in on quite a few parties."

DT: "(laughs) Oh did we ever! (laughs) Like when we were sponsored by a liquor store."

JL: "(laughs) That's dangerous!"

DT: "They never gave us no money, but they gave us a lot of beer. I can't count the number of times Codner would party with us, he'd just have us lock the gates when we left. And there were times where we were still in the pits when the sun was coming up, and we still had to get some sleep and get the car ready for Sunday night."

JL: "I take it you probably did better on Saturday nights then you did on Sunday nights. (laughs)"

DT: "Absolutely."

JL: "What kind of kick back did you get when the car was sponsored by the Action Theater? (laughs)"

DT: "I'm not answering that."

JL: "Did you have any rivalries at Englewood?"

DT: "No....I had a lot of good friends, Jack Voorhis and Junior Reeder....even Terry Boyle's a friend of mine. The only one I had a run in with was Bennie Garcia. Nothing that got out of hand though."

JL: "What do you miss about Englewood now?"

DT: "(laughs) Everything. Y'know I raced there for 12 or 13 years.....it was my life. Racing started in the summer and you couldn't wait! I miss Englewood Speedway, some of my fondest memories."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: DAVE TANSEY - The Two Minute Interview

(J.L. McGuire collection) “Big” Dave Tansey (right) wheeled this Tom Eller owned Figure 8
at Englewood in 1967.

(J.L. McGuire collection) One of the many wins during the summer of ’75 when Dave and
Darrell were living off the race car. I bought this photo at Englewood’s ‘Track Shack’ and
had Dave autograph it.

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) In 1977, Dave Tansey drove Carl Pugliese’s #23 Figure 8 once
made famous by Herb Fish and Dale Deter. Jack Voorhis #90 sends Dave into the dirt while
Dave Smith #81 slides by on the outside. Check out the damage to the wall in the background
there. It must have been one heck of a hit to buckle the Englewood concrete like that.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Darrell Smith collection) From 1973, Dave picks up some shiny hardware and a cute trophy girl.

(Darrell Smith collection) Dave Tansey wheels one of Darrell Smith’s beautiful pink Figure Eighters in 1974.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 06-24-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Darrell Smith collection) Dave Tansey picks up yet another win in the 'Action Theater'
#2 Figure Eighter in 1973. Check out the rub marks on the back tire. Rubbin' is racin', eh?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
ALVIS

ONE OF THE BADDEST EIGHTERS IN THE LAND!!!
ALVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Bobbyjr

Tansey sure could wheel an "8", but I am a little partial to the other guy that ran the 2 for Darrell, that's right Bobby "Jet X" Jackson.

Miss you Dad!

Bobby Jackson, Jr
Bobbyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Darrell Smith collection) Dave Tansey picks up a win during the late '60's in this Tom Eller
owned Figure Eighter. This looks to be a freshly built Eighter they brought out to the track
that night, as you can still see the spot welds on the door and roof, the torch marks from
where they cut out the rear wheel well, and the temporary numbers they slapped on it before
they got the car painted. Plus, it's pretty darn straight (no dents!) for a Figure 8 car!

(Candy Codner photo) Another shot of the famous pink Eighter from 1974. Dave's
matching helmet can be seen sitting on the top of the hood near the dash.

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) Dave Tansey #23 and Jim Stevens #26 fly through the
Englewood X in 1977.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 07-11-2012 at 08:55 PM.