Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
fdfountain

Default Pure stocks @ Lakeside

Remember Harry Garrett driving thru the pit fence? What a night!
fdfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: Pure stocks @ Lakeside

The entire Young, Lawley, and Garret team were guys who knew how to have a good time. They had Ray Whitebread in one of their cars. He had a slot car track at 41st and Tennyson that I used to frequent when I was a teenager in the mid-'60's. Ray had raced at Englewood in the '50's.
Did you race a Plymouth, maybe a Road Runner or a GTX at Lakeside?

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Checkers
Rookie

Does anyone remember Bob Courtney in his black Pontiac?
Checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
rapid30

Yes I raced with Bob Courtney and many other greats when I first started racing the street stocks in 1978.
Bruce Rhoades
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
lakeside #29

Bruce, What was the name of your team mate that raced a Chevelle that was blue and yellow? I think it was #68. Maybe his first name was Les? If I remember he did pretty well and it was after you were ROTY.
Thanks

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
rapid30

That was Les Wagner, who sadly passed away a couple of years back, Les who started out pitting for me and was bitten by the bug. Les had a 65 Chevelle drag car that soon became the #68 after he crashed it he built the yellow and black 68 Chevelle in 1980 which was my first CARC Championship season, just after midseason when I hit the wall and bent the frame on the pink 16 we finished up the car at about 3:30 on sunday after working all week, when we was getting ready to leave for Lakeside we noticed that the oil pan was cracked from the crashand was leaking, I called Les as I knew that he was to have the new car out and asked him if I could borrow it, Les meet us at the track and we Xed out the 8 and put a 1 in front of his 6, we bolted our tires and wheels on his car. This car had never hit the track and after I set 3rd quick and won the fast heat and finsised 3rd in the main, Les' crew asked me what it would take to have his car run like that every week and I told them the secret was in the M&H tires that I was running, they gave me the money to get him a set from Phillips & Anderson and from then on Les was a consistant top runner.
Bruce
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote