Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Carol Oaks
Rookie

Default George Oaks - Driver (my father in law)

I am new to this forum and happened upon it by chance. My father - in - law George Oaks raced at Englewood Speedway & sometimes at Lakeside, from approx. 1951 - 1969. He raced Stock Car # 0 . Modified # 80 and 64 Figure 8 #143 Coupe #0. From what I have been told, my father in law was not well liked however I know the side of dad that probably never came across on the race track. George (dad) is now 83 yrs. of age and I am making a digital slideshow to honor him, as he has been entered in Hospice Program.
If anyone has any pictures or video that could be of help please let me know. And I will say, "thank you" in advance!
Carol Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: George Oaks - Driver (my father in law)

Hi Carol!

In the 'Race Tracks' Forum there is a thread titled 'ENGLEWOOD SPEEDWAY - '50's Jalopy Action'. If you scroll down to the very last picture in the thread there is a photo of George Oaks from 1956 in the #0 coupe. His name is mentioned in the caption as well.

Sorry I couldn't post a quick link to it, but it will be easy to find.

Hope that helps!

--J.L.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Oaks View Post
I am new to this forum and happened upon it by chance. My father - in - law George Oaks raced at Englewood Speedway & sometimes at Lakeside, from approx. 1951 - 1969. He raced Stock Car # 0 . Modified # 80 and 64 Figure 8 #143 Coupe #0. From what I have been told, my father in law was not well liked however I know the side of dad that probably never came across on the race track. George (dad) is now 83 yrs. of age and I am making a digital slideshow to honor him, as he has been entered in Hospice Program.
If anyone has any pictures or video that could be of help please let me know. And I will say, "thank you" in advance!
Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos.

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Mitch G.

http://autoracingmemories.com/forums...read.php?t=505
George Oaks in the #0 as Jerry Lee pointed out.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Carol Oaks
Rookie

Thank you so much, I found the picture!!! This is pretty cool!! I do have several photos of dad (George Oaks) if ya'll would like me to post them let me know.
Most of them are him and his car, a few are of crashes.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Oaks View Post
I do have several photos of dad (George Oaks) if ya'll would like me to post them let me know.
Most of them are him and his car, a few are of crashes.
Yeah Carol, we all would like for you to post those pics with comments if you can, that's what this site is all about. If you need help on posting the pics, read Webby's instructions above.~Olen
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
carc7

Carol: I would love for you to post any and all pictures of George. I'd also like to send you a PM, as I'm the current CARC historian, and would like as much info on him as you can give me! Welcome to ARM!

carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Carol Oaks
Rookie

carc7 i would love to post photos of dad for ya'll !!! i got a message i am now able to post. i will be back on in a little while and if you are online a pm would be fine
Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Can't wait to see the photos you have of George's career Carol!

Thanks for the quick link Mitch, you and Dad are the best when it comes to doing that stuff for me!!!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #10
parrot

Carol, happy that you are on board. Looking forward to seeing more photos of your dad's racing. In the meantime, here's a photo that I took of the # Zero outside the pit gate at Lakeside Speedway August of 1963. This car was white with a black number. Liked the grill shell and "Englewood hood sides". I could be mistaken, but I think that it was the only number Zero of the modified class to ever race at Lakeside Speedway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#0 Oaks.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1346  
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote