Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Lisamd64

Default Midget picture question

I have a picture of my grandfather's midget (Marv Edwards) with my Dad and AJ Foyt in it. There is a man on the right of the picture who is very familar, but I can't put my finger on it. Can anyone tell me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1859  
Lisamd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
LittleFauss

Default Re: Midget picture question

.....'Wow, Lisa! I am really impressed and thank you for chiming in! In the middle sixties when A.J. Foyt ran a midget (albeit, infrequently) it was usually the Marvin Edwards' Hollywood Spring & Axle Offy #83 with a paint scheme similar to the Sheraton-Thompson big cars. In the late sixties and into the early 70's, that same(?) little Offy midget became the Greer/Foyt #83 and was painted in Foyt's usual coyote red. It's possible the other gentleman in the pic could be Mr. Greer???.....'Just a guess. 'Maybe Mitch or someone else from the Houston area could put their finger on it?

I'll go back and retrieve some pics of your Grandfather's car when Foyt ran it at the Turkey Night Grand Prix at Ascot Park out in Los Angeles.

Still, to this day, anything A.J. Foyt was associated with in the 1960's lives on in high regard. And the name Marvin Edwards' Hollywood Spring & Axle still has a great ring to it!
LittleFauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Mitch G.

I'll have to do some cross referencing in old photo's, I don't recognize him, but what a great photograph!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
indybigjohn

Can't be absolutely sure, but it looks a lot like Bruce Field.
indybigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Lisamd64

I found more pictures of car #83 and also post a couple pictures of my grandfather, Marvin Edwards. He was the owner of Hollywood Spring and Axel. Ponce took over the businss after his death in the early 70s.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
LittleFauss

.....'Wonderful collection of pictures in the previous post from the 1970 Astro Grand Prix. I've rounded up a few pics of A.J. Foyt running Marvin Edwards' Hollywood Spring & Axle #83 car from the 1965 USAC Turkey Night Grand Prix and the 1970 Houston Astrodome race.

(1) A.J. getting ready to get strapped in for the 1965 race. Lining up against eventual winner, Dick Atkins in the Pestana-Lang Offy #3.
(2) Running away with the race until he ran out of fuel.
(3) Putting a lap on Mike McGreevey in the Jack London Offy #4X. (That's the nose of the Bob Nowicke Offy #4 of Bob Tattersall in the caption)
(4) Racing with Tom Bigelow in Carl Gehlhausen's Midwest Manufacturing Offy #91. Tom was the overall winner of the Astro Grand Prix the year before.
(5) A.J. on his way to victory in the '70 Astro Grand Prix.
(6) The Results.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Lisamd64

Oh - Thank you soooo much! I really enjoyed these pictures that you posted. It brings back some wonderful memories. I have captured these photos so I can share them with the family.

I used to have a trophy from one of the races, but I am not sure if I still have that or not. I almost want to go clean out the garage and see if I can find it.

Needless to say I love to watch races. I have never been to a race in person, but I am about an hour and a half from the Ontario Speedway and should take a look at their calendar of events.

Thank you.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Mitch G.

Lisamd64, these photo's are a treasure trove, what history. It's fun to try to I.D. the drivers and cars in the background. The 4th photo as you scroll down shows Mel Kenyon in his blue #61, getting pushed off as Foyt goes by. The 14th photo down is a fantastic shot of A.J. Foyt, laughing with Bob Tattersalll, and Lloyd Ruby, I can't identify the other 2 guys, LittleFauss can probably tell us. Parnelli Jones won many races in this very midget, as well, probably the best handling Kurtis Kraft ever built. Foyt sold the car in one of his private auctions for something like $83,000 !! The black #32 in that one photo, you only see the tail, may be the T.D. Enterprises entry for Johnny Rutherford.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Lisamd64

I am so glad I ran into this site. All of you are so helpful and I am excited learning about all of this. You people know your stuff.

Lisa
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
LittleFauss

.....'Click on the link below and it will take you to the brilliant photographer, Ken Coles' site. Coles went to A.J. Foyt's race car shop in Houston and snapped off quite a few quality photos of the Marvin Edwards car. As you can see, the front nerf bar still has the big "E" for Edwards. Pages 7 and 8 have pics from 1970. Back up to page 4 and he's posted pics from the 1969 Astrodome race in which the Edwards car was "cageless."

And as Mitch mentioned earlier, the little Edwards Offy along with all of the other Foyt vintage cars were sold at auction.

In Dick Wallen's book, USAC, Fifty Years Of Speed And Glory, a book which lists every USAC winner from all divisions from 1956-2005, Marvin Edwards is listed as the winning car owner of that March 14th, 1970 race at the Houston Astrodome; which should difuse any confusion regarding "James Greer" as possible car owner.

http://www.colesracingphotos.com/Car...71347172_82Mrc

note: edited for spelling error:

Last edited by LittleFauss; 08-15-2011 at 03:38 PM.