Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > General Discussion about Racing History

General Discussion about Racing History Vintage auto racing has a very special place in most race fans heart and mind. The cars, the drivers, the spills and thrills. Please share your auto racing memories. Feel free to start threads/topics in this forum that are non-specific to drivers, cars, or tracks.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
str8hellyon

Red face Ok.. So what! Im a girl & I have a question!

I know this is kind of a girl question... but.. If a race is not NASCAR, just simply racing at a local circle dirt track I-76 SPEEDWAY in Colorado, racing a 1962 super modified race car? What class would that have been considered? Would it have been the same class back in the early 80's? Im trying to find some info on the race car my husband was given to him by his father, who also was given the car by HIS FATHER, so three generations of men to own this car! The name of the car was 'GAMACHE' it was driven by 'RICK SALONGA'.
My point being... When I search for info Im not quite sure what kind of race class to call it. So, if anyone can fill me in??? I am a girl.. but Im not a girlie girl, so the info WILL NOT go to waste!!
Please & Thank You for reading!
str8hellyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
str8hellyon

Default Re: Ok.. So what! Im a girl & I have a question!

Ok so it really was a girly question... One that I found an answer to!! Thanks to all who took the time to read anyway!!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Mitch G.

Well…..It appears to be an Don Edmunds super modified copy, the hood and roof, and tail could be Edmunds body pieces, or copies. As for Colorado, this kind of car raced at Englewood Speedway on the pavement with the ERA (Englewood Racing Assoc.), and in the mid 1960's they ran what were called "Jet Coupes" on the dirt at Colorado National Speedway. There never has been much winged super mod racing on the dirt in Colorado. Sometimes car owners with cars like this, would race them against sprint cars in the occasional "open competition" races on the dirt, or pavement. Is this a Colorado car? Let me know if this is close to the answer you received earlier. Here's a line drawing of the Don Edmunds super mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edmod_line.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	4289  
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
str8hellyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Well…..It appears to be an Don Edmunds super modified copy, the hood and roof, and tail could be Edmunds body pieces, or copies. As for Colorado, this kind of car raced at Englewood Speedway on the pavement with the ERA (Englewood Racing Assoc.), and in the mid 1960's they ran what were called "Jet Coupes" on the dirt at Colorado National Speedway. There never has been much winged super mod racing on the dirt in Colorado. Sometimes car owners with cars like this, would race them against sprint cars in the occasional "open competition" races on the dirt, or pavement. Is this a Colorado car? Let me know if this is close to the answer you received earlier. Here's a line drawing of the Don Edmunds super mod.
WOW!!! Right on for the information!! That sketch looks almost identical to our car! Im not 100% sure if the car was originally from Colorado or not... I'm currently trying to look into that. I do have another question maybe you can help me with? The driver of the car? Rick Salonga? How would I find any info about him? Or do I first have to find out where the car is originally from? I have googled everything I can think of & even messaged I-76 Speedway. (still no reply), which is the last place said to have raced?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
racefan2
Old School

From July 1966 Hot Rod Magazine. Don Edmunds Super Modified .
racefan2 is offline   Reply With Quote