Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Bud Potter escapes sure death at Lakeside 1961

(Courtesy of Big West Racing photo gallery) On July 30, 1961, Bud Potter violently flipped
his Modified coupe in turn 3 at Lakeside Speedway after coming in contact with the #84.
(Maybe one of you LS guys can identify this driver)

(J.L. McGuire collection) Bud and his #9 coupe are completely crushed after the #84 comes to
a rest on top of it.

(CARC archives) Crews are unsure how to pull Potter out of the wreckage.

(CARC archives) After flipping the car back over, one wonders how Bud Potter crawled from
this wreckage without a scratch on him.

(CARC archives) Bud "POT" Potter went on to race another day after tempting fate that night.
He's lucky to be standing unhurt next to the carnage that should have killed him.

Now here's the rumor about this freak accident that maybe one of you guys can clarify. I heard the reason that this roll cage caved in on Bud was because it was made of tubing from an old kiddie's swing set. Anyone ever heard this??

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 10-26-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: ....flippy, real flippy!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Quick Time

Default Re: Bud Potter escapes sure death at Lakeside 1961

Hey Jerry,

Rather scary night for Potter. I was hanging around the Enco station Bud worked at but was a little young (15) to get into the pits. He let me do a few things on the car during the week so I thought I was a big shot. I was always at the races in the bleachers turn two!

The swing set thing is a rumor but he did think one of the four main cage posts was made from a bed post. He had bought the car with the cage already in it so it was a surprise.

Quite a few guys helped rebuild this wreck, Paul Garrison one of them. They straightened out the body (still looked bad) and put a new roll cage in it. I'm sure he made it out to race the next Sun night. Funny thing they missed on the measurement for the body height and the cage stuck out the top about four inches. Looked as though he wanted extra room the next time.

I think the next winter is when they built the Willies. That was quite the car.

Chuck
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Indybail
Indybail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Time View Post
Hey Jerry,

Quite a few guys helped rebuild this wreck, Paul Garrison one of them. They straightened out the body (still looked bad) and put a new roll cage in it. I'm sure he made it out to race the next Sun night. Funny thing they missed on the measurement for the body height and the cage stuck out the top about four inches. Looked as though he wanted extra room the next time.

Chuck
Good story. Can't say I blame him for wanting a bit more room.

Jeff Downer
@indybailbond
Indybail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Great info, Chuck. I like how the stories told over the years go from a single bed post to a full kiddie's swing set.

Would have loved to see the car after they tried to bang the dents out of what was left of the body. And the oversized roll bars are a hoot!

.....and I haven't thought about the sight of one of those long lost box-type Enco stations in a long time. Remember when there seemed to be an old race car sitting outside every other one you ran across? Seems I remember it always said Happy Motoring over the bay doors of every station.

Check out the names in this old Enco ad from a '60's program. John Shine, Don Maus, and Don Roby were big names in the Denver racing scene.....

(J.L. McGuire collection)

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 10-27-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: ...."Put a Tiger in your tank!"
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Quick Time

I forgot to mention in the first post but Bud really was uninjured other than a scrape on his shoulder blade/back. That was shoulder to asphalt! Plus he had a 6 inch cut on his mid back that he got from the battery post climbing out through the rear deck lid. His helmet had several rubber & scrape marks but all in one piece.

Amazing !!!

Chuck
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
parrot

Hey Jerry Lee, thanks for that posting. I hadn't seen the last photo. Pot was indeed a lucky guy that night. Wasn't there that night, but attended earlier in the season and remember the car. A nice little model A bodied car, blue with a giant '9' on the deck lid. Hard to imagine how they got the body back together. I'd heard about the bed post roll bars also. Now I wonder who originally built that car and under what number it was run?

#84 is listed as Daryel Pennetta who ran that number for a few years. Wonder what went through his mind when suddenly finding himself looking at the sky as he was climbing up over the overturned car of Bud.

I have a couple of those original Scotty Duncan photos including the first one you showed. Here's a little better one of one of the others. In case anyone would like to copy it, I've boosted the resolution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bud Potter #9.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1908  

Last edited by parrot; 10-28-2011 at 11:21 PM.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
lakeside #29

Does anybody have a pic of Bud's car before the crash? I don't remember ever seeing one.
In the shot #89 is Jim McIntyre, #12 is John Thomas, and the #57 should be Dan Day in Larry Balderston's car.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Thomas E

I've heard of Bud Potter, what else did he do

There was a Bud's Auto Wrecking, but I think that was Bud DeCoupman, not Bud Potter.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #9
Statesd

Do you have any other photo's of Bud Potter? He is my father and I do not have many pics of his racing days.
Statesd is offline   Reply With Quote