Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Lee Hulse
Rookie

Default Re: Vintage Racing pics

Hey Scott
I joined this board not too long ago and have joined a couple since then. It is true the whole concept has been watered down. Like any good idea everybody has jumped on the bandwagon. I just don't get on enough, but that will change soon I hope. Anyway, These photos are awesome.
This is the "grassroots" of american racing. My dad started racing in 1949/1950 and these photo's remind me of his first 4 years before he started racing HOT RODS.
The T-bird story is a Classic. I've heard many stories about what drivers and mechanics did back "in the day" to be able to race, but taking the front of one car and the back of another and putting them together is one of the best.

NOW MY QUESTION IS: Is the first photo (under the licenses) The Lakewood Speedway mile in Atlanta? It may be obvious to some but I'm from California and I've only seen a few pictures and heard stories about that track.
Lee Hulse
Lee Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #12
Mike511
Circle Burner

Scott, Great stuff, love the T-Bird story and the vintage pictures, welcome!!
Mike511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
parrot

Scott: Yes, thanks for posting those photos. I was just a kid on a bike peddling my way out to the local fairgrounds during those early stock car days, so that remains my favorite era. Can't get enough. And that T-bird, have only seen one other. Curly Doggett from Sidney, Ne drove one in Scottsbluff, NE on their then paved fifth mile in the late fifties. It was a special late model show.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote