Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #11
Thomas E

Default Re: Coupe faces 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailpipe47 View Post
Let me see if I can shake a few webs loose. Sometime in the late 50s there were two Hudson coupes at Lakeside and both being driven by guys named Palmer. I remember the cars well, but could not remember who the drivers name was until reading what you guys wrote. The two coupes looked alike and were very loud. They had a trademark that got everyones attention. They both had a forward rake, nose to the ground look. They got the names of the ant eaters. They could hold their own too.
They were...
Number 68 John Palmer. '32 Hudson 2 door sedan. Silver, I think the body was sanded to bare metal and clear coated with some sort of a varnish coating, and number 78 Don Palmer. '32 Hudson coupe.
When John Palmer passed away, Don took over John's Hudson sedan, it became number 78.
As I understand it, Gene Palmer took over Don Palmer's coupe and number 68, that car was maroon. Gene was a family member, a son of one of the Palmer brothers.
I see if I can find photos of the two cars.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links