Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Sprint Cars & Champ Cars

Sprint Cars & Champ Cars The big brother(s) to the midget these open wheel beasts have a rich heritage in our auto racing memories.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Big Car Racing Association - sprint cars

The early 70's at the dirt Colorado National Speedway, were the yearly scene for the Big Car Racing Association (BCRA) sprint cars, the assoc. president was Don Buddy. Usually 2 day shows, these were the first sprint car races I personally got to see. One of the top "shoes", was Eddie "Sideways" Leavitt, he raced sprints from coast to coast. Here he is in a Leroy Beyers shot at CNS in 1971.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
J Ellis

Default Re: Big Car Racing Association - sprint cars

I remember the BCRA before CNS was built. I sat in Don Buddy's car many hours and many miles going to tracks like Greeley and the state fairgrounds in Pueblo, Casper, Torrington, Wyoming, Bellville Ks (when it was not much more than a modified horse track). Bill Hill was the announcer for them. I sold National Speed Sport News for him at the tracks. It sold for 25 cents, he paid me 7 cents for each one. Big money at the time for a little kid.
It always amazed me how Don could get around as good as he did with two artificial legs.
I got to see a lot of the old time horse track and bull ring greats. Jack DeShon, Eddie McVay,
Threle Novotny, Casper Wyo fame, and so many more.
When they first started building CNS, I rode out one day with John Scheibe (Warren Scheibe's dad. Warren was from the old Englewood RMMRA days) They had just started moving dirt. I don't remember the family's name that started it but it was before George Butland came into the picture.
My worst memory there was the night Sam Sauer lost his life.

Thanks for this site. Lots of memories!
J Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote