Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Continental Divide Raceways - Castle Rock, CO.

Here's a few images and some history of this great old racing complex. Feel free to add to it. There is a little more info and memories from others in the "Ghosts of Old Race Tracks" thread in the Race Tracks forum here on ARM.

(Pete Garramone collection)

(Pete Garramone collection)

(Ivo collection/Pete's Drag Pix)

(J.L. McGuire collection) 1968 CDR ad from Tri-State Auto Show program.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 12-23-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: Continental Divide Raceways - Castle Rock, CO.

(Eddie Biondi collection) U.S.A.C. comes to CDR in 1969.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Mike Croley

I was at the 150 . The admission price ate a huge hole in my lawn mowing money , but it was well worth it . It was the first time i got to see all of the Indy stars at one time . I still remember the sound of those DOHC Fords echoing of of the hills around the track .
I also got to see the USAC stock cars there and the Trans-Am race as well . About 5 years ago i ran across a program from the USAC stock car race at CDR . It was at a booth at the Zephyrhills show in Florida . Decided to keep walking and go back by the booth later to buy it . You can probably guess the end of that story . Even went to a number of drag races there , remember seeing Eddie Hill's twin engine Pontiac dragster with the dual rear tires , and all of the Colorado drag racing stars of the day . I think Ivo was there that day too .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
randyuns
One Post Wonder

Limited Membership - Awaiting Certification.

I was fortunate to be the Public Relations Director for CDR Tech Track, previously Continental Divide Raceways, in 1982 and 1983 before the owners, Unique Mobility, Inc., closed the facility. Unique was a Denver-based electric car company.

CDR had reopened for high altitude automobile manufacturer testing, club racing and motocross. Nissan was there frequently, as well as other manufacturers. Unique also tested their electric cars there.

CDR hosted the AMA National Championship Motocross races in 1981-1982. It was considered one of the best, if not the best, motocross circuit in the nation. Winter wheat was planted each season by manager Ben Cox to provide riders with a “European style” circuit, which they loved.

SCCA club racing also held several events during those years, and I was fortunate to race one of Ron Hunter’s Formula B cars. I also helped organize the events and sponsorship for the NASCAR Winston West race, sponsored by Coors and won by Rick McCray in a 1982 Pontiac LeMans; and the first Rocky Mountain Pro Formula Ford race, sponsored by Jolly Rancher Candy. I still have the event program and brochure I designed and authored for the NASCAR weekend.

Here are the AMA results:

1981 250cc AMA Motocross Championships
6/14 Castle Rock, CO Bob Hannah, Carson City, NV, Yam

1981 500cc AMA Motocross Championship
6/14 Castle Rock, CO Broc Glover, El Cajon, CA, Yam

1982 250cc National Motocross
June 13 Castle Rock, CO Broc Glover, El Cajon, CA Yamaha

1982 500cc National Motocross
June 13, Castle Rock, CO - Darrell Shultz, Trinidad, CA, Honda
randyuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:05 AM   #5
bmeigs

Angry Re: Continental Divide Raceways - Castle Rock, CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post

(Eddie Biondi collection) U.S.A.C. comes to CDR in 1969.
I remember going to some kind of invitational run what ya bring road race in '63 (l believe). It was stock cars, and included not only NASCAR regulars, but local short track cars as well. John Rostek won in a '62 Ford & Joe Lehman got 2nd in his little 6cyl modified. Wish I could remember more about the event; such as who the sanctioning body was, etc. There seems to be no record of it that I can find. Does anyone have info? Thanks..,.
bmeigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
bmeigs

Sorry about posting my previous question in the wrong format........here we go again........There seems to be no record of a road race l watched as a kid at CDR in '63 (I think) Don't even know who the sanctioning organization was. It featured full NASCAR stock cars on the track with various regional short track modifiers.......kind of a "run whatcha bring" race. Johnny Rostek won in a '62 Ford NASCAR & Joe Lehman was runner up in a 6 cyl modified. Very unusual event.......any way to find out more info on this?? Thanks
bmeigs is offline   Reply With Quote