Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > General Discussion about Racing History

General Discussion about Racing History Vintage auto racing has a very special place in most race fans heart and mind. The cars, the drivers, the spills and thrills. Please share your auto racing memories. Feel free to start threads/topics in this forum that are non-specific to drivers, cars, or tracks.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
Joe Starr

Default Re: Amazing vintage crash photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Neat shots Joe! Looks like both photo's are San Bernardino, that track had a relatively tall wooden guardrail around it. The 2nd photo looks like the #16 and #15 could Leonard Faas team cars, Perry Grimm and Walk Faulkner (amongst many other top open wheel drivers) drove for Faas.
I got to see Walt Faulkner race at Balboa Stadium for my very first race. I am not sure, but I think the Vukovich brothers were there also.
Joe Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #32
Racephoto1

First, with the stuff I have I can only go back to 2005. All my photos from 1979-2004 were destroyed in a fire last year, along with my memorabilia. That means, that of the stuff I have , it isn't as vintage as other peoples. I have a lot of stuff,but this one hurt when I saw it.

This is supermodified driver Mike Lichty driving a champ car at Oswego in August 2008. Hit the boiler plate in turn 1 nearly head on. Fortunately he hit Styrofoam block first. Still destroyed the car. He did walk away, very slowly.

IMG_0727 by uncloose1, on Flickr
Racephoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #33
Racephoto1

Fire always gets attention, Jon Sciscoe at the 2009 Eldora 4 crown, blowing a motor.

IMG_5426 by uncloose1, on Flickr
Racephoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #34
Mitch G.

I remember seeing your fire on another site, talk about heart breaking, what a loss. Your stuff is always welcome on here, no matter the "vintage".
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #35
Lee Hulse
Rookie

In regards to the Rutherford crash at Eldora:

Funny how things work out. May 3rd 1964 my dad (Chuck Hulse) had a terrible sprint car crash at New Bremen that kept him out of racing for 2 years, and he lost his ride with Dean Van Lines and was replaced by Mario Andretti, who actually started my dads accident. When Rutherford crashed at Eldora, his chief mechanic, A J Watson didn't have to look too far for a replacement for the seaon. He needed an experienced driver who could handle both pavement an dirt. My dad had driven his sprint car a few times in 1961and half of the 1963 season. Fortunatly my dad had just passed his physical, and went on to have a pretty good year finishing 7th in points.

Last edited by Lee Hulse; 09-15-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: clarification
Lee Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #36
Mitch G.

Lee, not only having a dad (your dad) race in that era and having grown up in that era, your insight to these moments in racing history are fascinating!! Most of us only got to read about that era of auto racing.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #37
Lee Hulse
Rookie

Mitch
Indeed it was a wonderful childhood, with the possable exception of that da at NEW Bremen. I got to see every usac track Langhorne (dirt) included. NOt to mention that I was watching USAC rcing at it's best imho. Just thinknig about the typical line up for a USAC sprint car race in 1963. It would be something like this
Mccluskey, Foyt, Jones, Hurtibise, Hulse, Marshman, Branson, White, Crowe, Andretti, Stapp, Rutherford and maybe and Unser. That line up amazes me to this day.
Lee Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #38
mmciau
Rookie

From Rowley Park Speedway (1949-1979), Brompton, South Australia. (Adelaide's pug hole).

Hugh Reskymer "Kym" Bonython, AC, DFC, AFC (15 September 1920 19 March 2011)

Kym was the promoter of RPS from 1954 to about 1973(?)
Kym in about 1956 getting air time at RPS. He suffered a injured vertebrae in the neck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kym_Bonython

The late Bill Wigzell (1930-2012) passes "underneath"
Mike
mmciau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #39
mmciau
Rookie

https://www.flickr.com/photos/216945...posted-public/
mmciau is offline   Reply With Quote