Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
superstroke

Default Eddie Jackson from Rick Wasilko collection

Here are some great photos from the Rick Wasilko collection. I hope that I can load the stories up with the pics, but it may be impossible. If I cannot, maybe Mitch can fill in the blanks for us with his midgetmind (DON'T GO THERE).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone0.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	4089   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone54.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	4090   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone56.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	4091   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone59.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	4092   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone65sfg1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	4093  

Name:	crmjacksone65sfg2.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	4094   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone65sfg2cu.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	4095   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone65sfg3.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	4096   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone65sfg3cu.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	4097   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone65sfg4.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	4098  

Rick Losh "Superstroke"
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
superstroke

Default Re: Eddie Jackson from Rick Wasilko collection

Here we go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crmjacksone65sfg4cu.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	4099   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone65sfg5.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	4100   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone65sfg5cu.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	4101   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone67.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	4102   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone69cns.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	4103  

Name:	crmjacksone75.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	4104   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone75usac.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	4105   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone81.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	4106   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone82.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	4107   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmjacksone82color.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	4108  

Rick Losh "Superstroke"
Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
superstroke

Short but sweet. Thanks to our departed friend Rick Wasilko.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crmmaurochuck63jackson.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	4109   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmmaurochuck63jacksoncolor.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	4110   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmmaurochuck70jackson.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	4111   Click image for larger version

Name:	crmmaurochuck70jackson5lees.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	4112  

Rick Losh "Superstroke"
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Mitch G.

Rick....midgetmind eh? My wife would agree. As life long midget fans, having been a driver, owner, club president, board member, and my dad having been a midget fan since the mid 1940's, and driving one himself, he had this observation. After years of going to midget club meetings, and dealing with back stabbing, in fighting, double crossing, whining, bitching and moaning, etc. etc. Dad would say "midget guys have midget brains",but he always loved those cars. O.K, the first set of photo's, that shot of Eddie I believe was in the pits at the 1st ever Belleville Midget Nationals in 1978, Eddie was 47 years old and won that race against the nations best midget drivers, he beat Sleepy Tripp and Larry Patton in a fantastic race, those guys were in their late 20's maybe? Truly amazing performance. The #53 coupe is Sam Chavez's car, 1953 Jackson ran coupes for several season's before buying the famous #5 Lloyd Axel Kurtis Offy midget, Eddie's true love. 1956 was his first year in the midgets, that first shot of Eddie in #5 "Pizza Oven" on the hood was 1958 I think, the rest are of Eddie in Chuck Mauro's sprint car, at the Colorado State Fairgrounds in Pueblo for some sort of fair related sprint car show, 1961 or so I think.

First 2 photo's of 2nd group are Mauro's sprint car in Pueblo, can't tell ya' who's in the #2 sprinter, or the #1 modified. Eddie in the mid 60's with Phil Long Ford on the hood, the next photo is not Eddie, not sure who's in Mauro's sprinter, too tall to be Eddie, but #91 is Buddy Taylor from New Mexico, it's Colorado National Speedway a BCRA show in 1971. Next row, Eddie in Chuck Mauro's Don Edmunds built VW midget at Lakeside, Leo Tucker in #22, Don "Spyder" Anderson in Vern Shaver's #10. Next photo is stacked in talent, many time Indy 500 vet, and multiple midget, sprint, dirt champ car winner Johnny Parson's Jr #80 barley leads Larry Patton #35, Indy 500 vet and 1970 USAC midget champ Jimmy Caruthers #2, and Eddie Jackson up high in the Mauro #5 this is a USAC national midget show at Lakeside Speedway 1975. Eddie in color, Chuck Mauro's #5 Edmunds built "Low bar" with Cosworth Vega power at Colorado National Speedway, many good drivers sat in this car, Jim Beckley, Dave Strickland Sr., Dana Carter, and others, it is still in Denver owned by the DeShon family. The black #10 is Eddie in Vern Shaver's VW, this is February 1982 Craig Road Speedway in Las Vegas, NV a few laps after this photo Eddie flipped down the back chute badly injuring his arms, he never drove again and died the next year.

The last set of photo's is Eddie in the Mauro family sprint car, 1st photo has Chuck Mauro on the left, Eddie in the wheel house, and Roger Mauro in the early 1960's, this sprinter had a huge 270 cubic inch Offenhauser engine the color shot is early 70's as roll cages were mandatory by 1971 or 72. The last photo is Eddie winning another main event in 1975 at Lakeside Speedway, Chuck Mauro's Edmunds VW. Eddie Jackson was a Colorado legend, he passed his Indianapolis 500 rookie test in 1959 but decided racing midgets was his strong suit, he won dozens of sprint car races and 77 RMMRA main events, 6 RMMRA championships, several USAC national midget features, and the 1978 Belleville Midget Nationals, if you never got to see Eddie wheel a midget, you missed something truly special in auto racing.

Last edited by Mitch G.; 10-16-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
parrot

Thanks Rick for sharing those photos. While Mr. Jackson is most known for his prowess in midgets and open wheel cars in general, many of those guys did indeed catch a ride in the stock cars as well, or maybe even began there, then graduated to the open cockpit cars. I remember the #53 very well. That photo is in the Lakeside speedway pits, 1954, the first year the CARC took off the fenders. Full hood and chrome plated grill shell, white over red with silver lettering, a twin to #64 driven by Bob Haase. Both were sponsored by the Wheatridge Garage and made a good looking pair. Ed drove a similarly painted five window coupe for 1955, but numbered 14 and sponsored by Bob Jones Skyland Ford. Obviously a born racer, by then he was running in the "Fast A" class. The #14 car shown above is from a 1956 program write-up only now painted all white, but still with the Skyland Ford sponsor. I don't remember him driving the stock cars after that although he's listed in the program again in 1959 in a #53 owned by Jim Gordon who was running a pair of cars that season.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
J Ellis

Forever memory of Eddie. I was really young but if memory serves me right he had bought the white #5 offy from Lloyd Axel not too long before. Eddie was a salesman for Johnny Harper Ford. He had a Beechcraft Debonair airplane. My dad and I flew to Albuquerque and then on to Phoenix with him. I don't remember the track name in Albuquerque. The midgets ran the small oval on the dirt in Phoenix and the next day was the Indy Cars in the inaugural race at PIR. Hard to believe that track been around that long. I don't remember who won it but do remember Bobby Unser over what little wall there was and finally stopping quite a way out.
J Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
mtate

Mitch G I would like to thank you for your stories and photos about Eddie. I feel i know U it would have been many years ago I am Tate's Son Mike. I have been looking for Leroy Byers RMMRA Midgets or any photo's by Leroy. There is a photo of Ed sitting in my 1/4 midget. Ed bought the mag wheels and tires for my # 42 1/4 midget and bought all the Chrome on my sisters # 62 1/4 midget. Grier Manning & Joe Giba respectably the #5 was for I believe Kathy's nephew ? I wish my little sister would post some or all of my fathers photos maybe she see this she also has 8 mm home movies of Ed at various dirt tracks around the country she has a really GREAT collection on Ed. The picture of Tate standing behind Ed in the # 5 I would now guess to be around 1957 with all that I have read Still guessing
mtate is offline   Reply With Quote