Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Sprint Cars & Champ Cars

Sprint Cars & Champ Cars The big brother(s) to the midget these open wheel beasts have a rich heritage in our auto racing memories.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
lakeside #29

Default Info wanted for "Walinder Wayne"

In the July/August issue of the Kansas Antique Racers newsletter, they ran a couple of photos of the "Walinder Wayne" big car. It is owned by Steve Gasper and restored by Roger Burnett of Dodge City, Kansas. The car made it's restored debut at the Belleville Vintage Nationals in July 2010. It appears to be a beautiful car. It carries the number 1 and has 3 carburators coming throiugh hood.

Do you Mitch, Indybigjohn, Bob Jeffeson, or any of you sprint car professors
have any information on this car? The newsletter says it's in "Big Car Thunder" by Bob Mays, on page 77. Who built it? What displacement is the engine, 270? 302? Where did it race? IMCA? To me with my limited knowledge of big cars, it looks kind of like a Kurtis. Is it?

For the benefit of readers that are not familiar with early 6 cylinder engines the name Wayne refers to the cylinder head built by Wayne Hornung. He produced heads for GMC truck 6's. These were a 12 port, crossflow head that
improved from the original 3 intake and 4 exhaust ports. The Wayne was in the same realm as Cragar heads for Ford 4 bangers or Ardun Heads for flathead V-8's. They developed a great deal of horsepower and sounded like an aircraft engine.

Any information on this great looking car would be appreciated. Roger Burnett should be complimented for the work he did on this car.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"

Last edited by lakeside #29; 11-16-2010 at 05:31 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: Info wanted for "Walinder Wayne"

Chris, got a photo? I've been searching the web, and my magazines, and can't find a photo of this car. Send me a web link, or scan a pic of the car, I'm curious.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
lakeside #29

Hi Mitch,
Click image for larger version

Name:	kar_picture - 1.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1450

Name:	kar_picture - 2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1451

Name:	kar_picture.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1452

Here are the pictures from the Kansas Antique Racers newsletter. I am hoping you can find out some info on this car.
Thank you

Old 11-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Mitch G.

Chris, the visual lines of the car would lead one to believe that this car has at least Kurtis body parts, hood, nose, tail. Hard to tell if it is a Kurtis built car, as Kurtis only built 6 or 8 "Sprint cars", short (88 inch) wheel base cars known as "KK2000". Actually only 3 were built to run on 1/2 mile tracks, and all 3 ended up running at Indianapolis in the 500. Dozens of Kurtis midgets were "Stretched" into sprint cars, and many Kurtis Champ or Indy cars, were shortened to run as sprint cars. I'm digging out books, magazines, checking other websites, and will see what we come up with.

Here is one of the 3 confirmed Kurtis sprint cars, the KK2000 series.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
lakeside #29

Last night I had a phone conversation with Mr.Tom Barclay, president of Kansas Antique Racers. He told me some of the history of the "Walinder Wayne".

There seems to be some controversy as to who originally built the car. On one hand Jack Merrick claims the car was built by Frank Kurtis, and it appears at least to have some Kurtis body work. On the other hand, there are those that believe that the car was built by LLoyd Walinder and a Mr. Kyte. The sponsor was Kyte Auto Electric of Oberlin, Kansas. The real builders indentity is probably lost to time. The Walinder was built in 1952 and ran with the old UMCA circuit. In a tragic note about the Walinder, driver Paul James lost his life in a racing crash while running an IMCA race in Topeka, Kansas in the early 1950's. Evidence of fire soot was dicovered inside the tail when it was being disassembled for restoration. Purple paint was found on the inside of some of the body panels suggesting that was the original color. The car was rebuilt after the Topeka crash and eventually was fitted with a smallblock Chevy engine. The hood and side panels were cut up to accomplish the swap.

The original engine was not a GMC as I speculated. It was a Wayne Chevy based on a 216. According to Tom this engine was built by Wayne Hornung himself and is dressed in Wayne equipment from top to bottom. Tom didn't know the displacement, but believed it may 228 as that number is stamped on the head. Tom owns another Wayne himself which also is stamped 228 and is based on a 216.

Roger Burnett did a beautiful job restoring the Walinger. He built replacement side panels and the hood to match the original and had the paint color matched to the purple color that was found on some of the panels.

Previously I mentioned Wayne Hornung. I should have stated that Mr. Hornung had been in a partnership with Harry Warner. After several years the partneship dissolved and they went their seperate ways. Harry Warner continued to manufacture Wayne heads and Wayne Hornung produced his own Hornng heads. About 200 Wayne heads were built. Harry Warner was in the process of developing a DOHC head. I don't know if it ever got past the prototype stage.

I would like to thank Tom Barclay for the information he gave me. Tom is a dedicated vintage racer who owns a 1940 rail frame midget with a Willys 4 cylinder and a super modified fiberglass Deuce 3-window that was 2nd quick at Hutchinson Nationals in 1968 with a trick destroked late Olds engine. Currently he has an old hill climb car that he tells me ran Pikes Peak 3 times with Wayne power, and also one year with a nailhead Buick engine. Tom says the car "Is an ugly SOB" but Roger Burnett is rebuilding it, so it'll be sharp when finished.

One other thing, Roger used to own Harry McCool's old jet coupe. We got to run against it at Ft. Morgan in the '90's. Roger is a heck of a dirt driver.

Last edited by lakeside #29; 11-23-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
rksalem

The car was built by Lloyd Walinder of Oberlin KS. I talked to his son, Mark Walinder, the other day and mentioned this thread. I asked him what color it was when it was first built and he said it was purple so I think he is really who built it. I do know Lloyd was a hell of a craftsman and built some awsome race cars in his day.
rksalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
lakeside #29

Hi Rick, Thanks for adding some more history of this beauiful car. I'm glad you talked to Mark Walinder, that was a real plus to this story. I hope he enjoyed talking about one of his dad's masterpieces.
Thanks also to everyone else that contributed as well. This has been really enjoyable finding out about the Walinder. I hadn't talked to Tom Barclay in several years and that's always fun, he's got great stories. Then Will Willis who's with Inliners International called inquiring about the car, wanting to include it in their Wayne registry.

Rick, I hope you'll post some pictures of your cars and maybe you would consider posting some pictures of your dad's cars. I read about him in Vintage Oval Magazine a few years ago. He sounds like a guy that liked to go
fast.

Thanks again to everybody that contributed and Rick continued good luck with the URSS. You have probably the most intellegent, well thought out engine rules I've seen in years. I don't remember if we ever spoke at Rocky Mountain, but after Lakeside closed I was regularlly in the pits. I had a buddy who ran IMCA and one that had a street stock. I knew Marv Slusser from CARC used to run into Tony Spano. Jim Beckley drove my coupe at Second Creek. And Ernie and Nanct Delk were friends.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
oldironkc

Limited Membership - Awaiting Certification.

This car is on display at the Belleville High Banks Hall of Fame Museum in Belleville Kansas! I'll be sure to take some pictures next time I am there!
oldironkc is offline   Reply With Quote