Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Thomas E

Default Re: Unidentified Colorado Midget Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Joe, I missed Earls car, my failing eyes. Can you recognize the car outside of Pastor in that 2nd photo?

I'll throw this out there for now, the car on the outside of Gene looks like Frankie Mantello, if that is the case then it is #93. It is really hard to tell if there is no head rest. But I believe I see four injectors for and Offy.

Joe?

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...

Last edited by Thomas E; 07-30-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Mitch G.

Thomas, that was my guess, but I'm stumped by the contour of the roll bar, and the Kurtis style nose !?! Looks like Mantello to me, the uniform and helmet, need to cross reference some other old photo's.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
Mitch G.

Thomas, your correct, I copied these from a previous post, from England of all places, I'd say the evidence is conclusive.

Mantello outside of Grier and Eddie.

The uniform looks the same.

Joe's dad out front as Mantello spins. This was a pre WWII Kurtis, it belonged to Rex Mays and Buddy Martinson brought it to Denver. Somewhere along the way they added the more traditional Kurtis nose, the pre war nose had the grill bars running horizontal, one of the greatest midgets ever.

Last edited by Mitch G.; 07-30-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
Thomas E

There are a lot great midgets. The #27 Rodriquez Offy, #5 Axel/Jackson offy, #3 Stockwell offy, #15 Barlett Falcon, #6 Hamilton Offy, #42 Manning Chevy II, #44 Walker Roadster . . . well you get the Idea.

Ray Koch's number 93 will always be number 1 with me. I first saw the #93 car in early 1951 on visit to Denver from South Dakota with my dad, it was at Englewood Speedway. The driver at that time was Don Padia, he also drove the #99 Codner Roaring Roadster.

We were not there the week Don was driving #93 and he had a bad crash, the injuries would prove to be too much, Don died about a month later. The track physician at that time I believe was Dr. Lilienthal, it was told that Doc Lilienthal stopped each day to check on Don and would stay for an hour or so until Don passed away.

In the early 60's I took two Monogram Midgets and made replicas of #93 for Ray and Frank, it took extra kits for those just right parts, gloss red and hand lettered. Were they surprised.

Those two model car builds were followed up with a #5, #6, #15, #55, #27, #1.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...

Last edited by Thomas E; 08-05-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
ro257
One Post Wonder

Jerry
3rd photo down

#92 Tommy Rice (the space man)private nickname
#1 Jim LaManna Sr
#5 Eddie Jackson
ro257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #16
RJ Butz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E View Post
Great photo. If the year is 1952, it wouldn't be Eddie Jackson. I believe it was 1956 that Eddie bought the 5 car from Lloyd Axel. But it's hard to tell. But I do see a 1955 or 1956 Chevrolet Cameo Pick-up sitting behind the number 1.

Pete Ducker's '32 Ford here

Pete Ducker's last race, 1953 here
Also of note, the man standing next to Eddie is H.J. Tate - only went by his last name. Nice '54 early '55 Chevy behind them!
RJ Butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
mtate

In the photo of Eddie sitting in the # 5 SKYLAND Ford and that would be my father Harlan J Tate standing behind the car. Since I was about 1 I am guessing this picture is around 1957,1958 or1959 it is not 1952,1955,1956. If there is anyone that knows the year PLEASE share with us Mike
mtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #18
mtate

RJ you are correct in your note Harlan J Tate was known as Tate or ED would call him Tater but everyone would call him Tate
mtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #19
parrot

mtate your logic makes some sense except that the #1 cars for the years 1957, 1958 and 1959 were all '32 Ford Coupes. Bob Bushef had a '32 five window for '57 and '58 while Bill Starks drove both a five and three window coupe for 1959. The #1 car in this photo is clearly a '34 Ford. If I can find a way to get a more clear view of the other stock car behind the midget I might be able to nail it down.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #20
parrot

Concerning this photo, wondering if Jerry Lee or someone has a better or an original one. Photos from that era had a higher resolution which could then be magnified without losing detail. Some additional info that makes me believe that it is 1956 is that Gordon Herring was the CARC President that year, and may have chosen the #1 for that reason, plus it was probably available since his teammate from 1955, Norm Engblom who had been #1 then, wasn't using it. My fortunes increased in 1956 in that Mr. Herring invited me to a preseason hot lap session. (Had to use that info at the gate to get in since the park hadn't opened yet). Unfortunately the #1 wasn't a car that I remember from that visit, nor subsequent visits. Guess it's hard to be president and race too. Meanwhile, I'm willing to agree that the question of what year this is may not be completely settled yet.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote