Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
cchucksales

Default WINCHESTER INDIANA

This was the fastest 1/2 mile in the country, favorite dirt track, used race there every week, Eldora, and Knoxville Iowa,

Chuck Carpenter,
cchucksales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
indybigjohn

Default Re: WINCHESTER INDIANA

If you remember Winchester as dirt, you're going back farther than I can recall.
indybigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Racephoto1

I know it was oiled dirt at one time, long before me. I also know it is still the world's fastest half mile. It is one of the oly tracks I have a true love/hate relationship with. Scariest place to watch a sprint or midget race there is. Terrorfyingly fast, and if you make a mistake there, it is NEVER a little one.
Racephoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
indybigjohn

Got that right, Racephoto1. When I was with ASA, we used to measure tracks. Since there was always some question about where to measure, we used the inside of the first groove. We figured that was the shortest distance a fast car could travel. Winchester came out 2,640 feet to the inch! When I told Roger Holderman, who owned it at the time, he said it was about a foot short of a half on the inside edge of the pavement and about a foot long up against the wall. Can't get any more perfect half-mile than that.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Indybail
Indybail

If you can, watch from the inside of the turns at Winchester. It's like nothing any place else.

Jeff Downer
@indybailbond
Indybail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
indybigjohn

Exactly right, Jeff. Downright frightening from inside the turns.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
DanicaFan
Rookie

I live just about an hour from this track.
DanicaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
roll cage

Winchester has a ton of history behind it---TONS. Just like the others right there in that area at one time. The super-high-banked asphalt ovals are referredto as "The Hills", and includs 4 tracks; Winchester, Salem, Dayton, and Fort Wayne, all 1/2 milers, except Fort Wayne, which was a 5/8 miler.

Fort Wayne Speedway is now an industrial park, and Dayton Speedway is currently underneath a landfill.

Winchester and Salem are still currently active, and I hav a ton of info on all 4 of them, if you want to hear about them.
roll cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
indybigjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll cage View Post
Winchester has a ton of history behind it---TONS. Just like the others right there in that area at one time. The super-high-banked asphalt ovals are referredto as "The Hills", and includs 4 tracks; Winchester, Salem, Dayton, and Fort Wayne, all 1/2 milers, except Fort Wayne, which was a 5/8 miler.

Fort Wayne Speedway is now an industrial park, and Dayton Speedway is currently underneath a landfill.

Winchester and Salem are still currently active, and I hav a ton of info on all 4 of them, if you want to hear about them.
roll cage, at one time I had a history of every race at Salem from the beginning up to the 60s. Wish I knew what happened to it. Love to see your info. I also know some people who are heavy into the history of Dayton Speedway. My e-mail address is indybigjohn@roadrunner.com
Old 04-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
indyasphalt24

Love this ole' track! Man have I seen some barnburners there over the years. Spectacular crashes. Awesome parties in the parking lot on big race weekends. Even saw a tornado out there one year! Everyone who has attended this track has a story to tell. Thanks for letting me share.
indyasphalt24 is offline   Reply With Quote