Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default FRITZ WILSON - Retrospective

Never would I be able to write a story that would do Fred 'Fritz' Wilson's spectacular auto racing career justice. With an unbelievable winning streak lasting 4 decades and races all over the country, Fritz became legend. The sport lost something special when he passed away in 2007.

CLICK HERE for a more complete history of this Colorado Motor Sports Hall-of-Famer and scroll through the statistics and great memories that you ARM members put together in another old thread.

Here's just a glimpse at the endless race cars Fritz put his magic touch on through the years:

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz Wilson picks up a pineapple for this July 14, 1951
win at Englewood Speedway. Winning the fruit was supposedly a sign of good luck at the
time. Nothing you'd want to keep in your trophy case though.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz picked up a ride in Velmar St. Peter's coupe at
Lakeside in the early '50's.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz Wilson catches some air in front of the North turn audience at
Lakeside during early '50's Stock Car action.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz Wilson was still collecting trophies in 1956, this time back at
Englewood Speedway. A big plug for KBTV channel 9 (which televised the weekly races) can be seen on
the water tower in the background.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) One of Fritz's many racing adventures included the
1959 Daytona 500 where Fritz was the first driver to lead a lap of the race at the new facility.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) For a short time in the '60's, Fritz (top right) ran the
John Pachello twin coupe with his brother Don Wilson (left) at Lakeside.

(Irwin Fogel collection) Fritz Wilson (right) and the wicked Torino from 1970 at
Englewood Speedway.

(Stallsworth collection/John Verhoeff photo) Wayne Stallsworth (#4) started out
as a pitman for Fritz (#71) in 1953, and the two battled each other for decades
in just about every division at every track in Colorado. Here, the two light up the
Late Models at Englewood in 1974.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Flagman Don Styes checks Fritz at the line during
Englewood time trials in 1978.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz was still racking up the wins during
the '80's at Colorado National Speedway.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 03-20-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: slipped in some grease
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Quick Time

Default Re: FRITZ WILSON - Retrospective

Thanks Jerry,

Most fans always liked Fritz I know I did. I remember the story (think it true) after the end of the season they ran two weeks outlaw or open rules. He put a T-bird engine in his car but blew it during hot laps, now I understood he went out in the parking lot got his wife's bird and put that engine in his car. Probably without her knowledge and blew that engine so he pulled the one out of his truck and used it.

Wow that must have hurt. Anyone know that story?

Chuck
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Looks like Fritz picked up this trophy
dash at Lakeside while filling in for Bob 'Bushy' Busheff in 1953.

(Irwin Fogel collection) Winning for Bob McDowell in 1969 at Lakeside.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) One of Fritz's many Late Model wins
at Lakeside in 1975.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) More hardware for a 1958 win in the coupes
at Lakeside Speedway.

(Irwin Fogel collection) Fritz piloted this super cool Jet-X sponsored Late Model at
Englewood Speedway in 1967.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz Wilson on the Colorado National Speedway
dirt in 1980.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 03-20-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: full moon?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) 1954 Lakeside Speedway win.

(Irwin Fogel collection) Winning for Al Starr in 1971 at Lakeside.
Trophy girls like this were the icing on the cake.

(Irwin Fogel collection) Fritz's Plymouth Late Model at Lakeside in 1969.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Another Lakeside coupe win for 1960.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz Wilson was hard to beat in the Late Model
division at Englewood Speedway in 1976.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 03-20-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: tacos!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Time View Post
I remember the story (think it true) after the end of the season they ran two weeks outlaw or open rules. He put a T-bird engine in his car but blew it during hot laps, now I understood he went out in the parking lot got his wife's bird and put that engine in his car. Probably without her knowledge and blew that engine so he pulled the one out of his truck and used it.

Wow that must have hurt. Anyone know that story?

Chuck
Seems I heard that same story Chuck, years ago from someone somewhere. I'd like to think it was true because it's another great story.

Check this bit from the late Dave Wegner, one of the track managers at Lakeside from '66 - '88.

DW: "A little story about Stallsworth and Fritz, they got into a little battle one night and both spun out. The CARC had a $50 fine for fighting. Fritz got out of his car and went and hit Stallsworth in the face, then walked over to the president of the club and handed him $50 and got back in his race car and finished the evening."
Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Quick Time

Jerry,

Funny about the $50 fine as that was the same bucks a tear down/protest carried. I knew one driver that had a fifty folded and hid in his billfold just in case a protest moment came up. I know he never used it but maybe that's why Fritz had a fifty handy. I too heard that story.

Chuck
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Irwin Fogel collection) Fritz Wilson takes this 1966 Lakeside win in John Pachello's
back up ride #19 for multi-champion Don Wilson. If you look at the deck lid number
you can see the tape lines where part of the "4" meets the "1".

I'd like to know more about the "Pachello" chapter in Fritz's story. You guys
know more about it, was this for the whole season or was Fritz just in between rides?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post

(Irwin Fogel collection) Fritz Wilson takes this 1966 Lakeside win in John Pachello's
back up ride #19 for multi-champion Don Wilson. If you look at the deck lid number
you can see the tape lines where part of the "4" meets the "1".

I'd like to know more about the "Pachello" chapter in Fritz's story. You guys
know more about it, was this for the whole season or was Fritz just in between rides?
In thinking about this...Oh where are my memory pills...That's better. In thinking about this 19 that was a 49 for a while, Fritz' 6 car got bent up, so John let Fritz wheel the other 19 in 49 clothing. I don't remember how long it was, as we have seen a news article with a picture of Donnie, Fritz and John with both cars.

The that is what my good friend Michael P. (the late Pat Frazier. Lakeside's "Sweet 16") and I could not figure out, was why didn't john just cover up the 19 with a 6 on a large sheet paper something. We were thinking about the points, instead of Fritz was getting points in a substitute 6 car, he would collect points in 49 car too.

Maybe this will jog some other memories...I got memory pills.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...

Last edited by Thomas E; 04-08-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Trading 14 for 49.
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E View Post
Maybe this will jog some other memories...I got memory pills
Hey Thomas, take another one of those pills and see if you mean 49 instead of 14. If not, I may have to get my eye's checked for new glasses.
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olen McGuire View Post
Hey Thomas, take another one of those pills and see if you mean 49 instead of 14. If not, I may have to get my eye's checked for new glasses.
I fixed it, 14 became 49

Funny you should mention new glasses, I'm head that direction next week.
Now read the chart ...

A
BC
DEF
GHIJ
KLMNO
PQRSTU
VWXYZAB

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote