Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Just want to shoot the breeze and fellowship? This is the place!



Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker
 
Jerry Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Golden, CO.
Posts: 820
Default Orval the Daredevil Clown

Anyone remember this guy?

One of the craziest stunt men in the business, Orval the Daredevil Clown appeared all over the country thrilling crowds with his spectacular stunts.

He made a few appearances at Englewood Speedway during the '70's jumping trucks and crashing cars, and on July 13, 1974 he blew himself up in the middle of Englewood's X while sitting on sticks of dynamite. Someone once described him as "kind of a nutty guy who couldn't hear a word you were saying!". No wonder!

Here's an article that appeared in the program the night he performed his "Russian Death Chair" trick.


(J.L. McGuire collection)

Orval Kisselburg died peacefully in his sleep in March 2008 at the age of 86.

Here's another great must read article on Orval and his exciting career. CLICK HERE

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 09-18-2011 at 02:58 AM. Reason: wet fuse
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Indybail
Indybail
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 16
Default Re: Orval the Daredevil Clown

Somebody please tell me what the "Russian Death Chair" stunt is!



Jeff Downer
@indybailbond
Indybail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker
 
Jerry Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Golden, CO.
Posts: 820
Default Re: Orval the Daredevil Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indybail View Post
Somebody please tell me what the "Russian Death Chair" stunt is!
Well....like the article states: "He actually blows himself up with four sticks of dynamite while sitting in a chair."

Thanks to Olen here's an old promo pic of Orval holding the said dynamite!

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 09-18-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: ka-blewie!!!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
waynedew
Rookie
 
waynedew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 70
Posts: 11
Default Re: Orval the Daredevil Clown

This isn't Orval, but I think it is the same stunt:


waynedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker
 
Jerry Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Golden, CO.
Posts: 820
Default Re: Orval the Daredevil Clown

Yeah Wayne, looks like the same stunt. Not sure how many sticks of dynamite that guy used though. When Orval was asked if he ever made a mistake when doing the stunt he replied "Well, you're only allowed one."

I think it's cool (or just plain crazy) that Orval did some other spectacular stunts & jumps that even the great Evel Knievel turned down. Gotta love a guy who risked his life just for our entertainment.

On Find A Grave is a photo of Orval Kisselburg's gravesite. Etched on his tombstone is the saying "I told 'em I was sick!".

Long live Orval!

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 09-20-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: bad spilling...er, spelling
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker
 
Jerry Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Golden, CO.
Posts: 820
Default Re: Orval the Daredevil Clown

From a July 6, 1974 Englewood program....


(J.L. McGuire collection)
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
BTxpress
One Post Wonder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 56
Posts: 1
Default Re: Orval the Daredevil Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
Anyone remember this guy?

One of the craziest stunt men in the business, Orval the Daredevil Clown appeared all over the country thrilling crowds with his spectacular stunts.

He made a few appearances at Englewood Speedway during the '70's jumping trucks and crashing cars, and on July 13, 1974 he blew himself up in the middle of Englewood's X while sitting on sticks of dynamite. Someone once described him as "kind of a nutty guy who couldn't hear a word you were saying!". No wonder!

Here's an article that appeared in the program the night he performed his "Russian Death Chair" trick.


(J.L. McGuire collection)

Orval Kisselburg died peacefully in his sleep in March 2008 at the age of 86.

Here's another great must read article on Orval and his exciting career. CLICK HERE
Saw him at Sky Valley Speedway in Monroe, Wa in the late 60's
BTxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
PNWJohn
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Age: 41
Posts: 2
Thumbs up Re: Orval the Daredevil Clown

Hi all,

I realize this post is several years old. Nevertheless… here goes

Orval taught my dad all his stunts. My dad and I travelled with Orval and occasionally he would fill in for Orval when he was injured and unable to complete his stunts (towards the end of his career). When Orval retired, my dad bought his stunt truck and continued the legacy. I think he may have actually toured as Orval for a short time, before renaming himself "Flywheel the daredevil clown".
I was extremely young during these years, but Orval has a special place in my heart as he was always very kind to me.

I may be interested in any memorabilia as a lot of it was lost over the years. Particularly Thrill Seekers which was an episode of a tv show that they filmed together in Tenino in 1973.
Hope to resurrect the thread and hear from some of you
PNWJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
PNWJohn
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Age: 41
Posts: 2
Default Re: Orval the Daredevil Clown

BTW, it was 3-4 sticks of dynamite. Eventually (in the 80's i think), it became my job to prep the dynamite for the show! Yes, 4th of July was a hoot at our place
PNWJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
webby
Administrator
 
webby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Age: 52
Posts: 1,058
Default Re: Orval the Daredevil Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWJohn View Post
Hi all,

I realize this post is several years old. Nevertheless… here goes

Orval taught my dad all his stunts. My dad and I travelled with Orval and occasionally he would fill in for Orval when he was injured and unable to complete his stunts (towards the end of his career). When Orval retired, my dad bought his stunt truck and continued the legacy. I think he may have actually toured as Orval for a short time, before renaming himself "Flywheel the daredevil clown".
I was extremely young during these years, but Orval has a special place in my heart as he was always very kind to me.

I may be interested in any memorabilia as a lot of it was lost over the years. Particularly Thrill Seekers which was an episode of a tv show that they filmed together in Tenino in 1973.
Hope to resurrect the thread and hear from some of you
Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos.

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.