Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Drivers

The Drivers In this forum feel free to start threads about your favorite driver from the golden days of racing. Make sure to title your new thread with the drivers name first.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default LARRY DECHANT - Retrospective

From what I've ever read or heard about Larry Dechant, he was a leader, a champion, an innovator, and a big influence in Colorado auto racing history. I can't even begin to list this man's accomplishments, so I'll tackle the few items I know.

Some of you guys out there raced with him and knew him well, so share your L.D. stories and stuff here, and we'll all learn about this Colorado legend. Some stats would be great, as I don't even know the year that he passed on.

(Chris Ertler collection) Larry Dechant was noted for this fast #100 Modified in
the early '60's at Englewood Speedway.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Larry Dechant became the first Figure 8 champion in the
region when the division made it's debut at Englewood in 1964. Dechant is also tied with
Bobby Jackson as the only two men to win a Figure 8, Late Model & Modified main event in
the track's history.

(Irwin Fogel collection) One of the great local battles of it's time.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Not sure of the year of this one, but I'm digging Larry's
Gremlin he ran at Lakeside Speedway. For a time, a lot of Larry's cars had the number 5 in it,
and had a nickname for the car on the side.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Dechant (right) wheeled Lee Bierbaum's Late Model at
Englewood in 1970.

(Stallsworth collection/John Verhoeff photo) Wayne Stallsworth #55 with Fritz Wilson
on the outside, battle with Larry Dechant #115, and Don Erickson #12 during Englewood
Late Model action in 1975.

(J.L. McGuire collection/Unique Photo) Larry wins the 1975 Olympia Beer Challenge
Cup in one of the many cars he called "The Ratler".

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) Larry Dechant in an orange version of "The Ratler" (right)
dives to the inside to avoid this 1977 wreck in turn 3 at Englewood.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 09-22-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: 8 Eastern, 7 Central
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: LARRY DECHANT - Retrospective

Courtesy of ARM member Rick Losh comes this late '60's pic of Larry Dechant's Late Model '57 Chevy nicknamed "Shagnasty".

(Archie Johnston collection)

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 10-18-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Here's a little more I've learned about Larry. If you find that some of my facts aren't straight, please correct me.......

Larry Dechant was the president of the Rocky Mountain Stock Car Racing Association in '64 and '65. He may have been the prez of that club in other years as well, but I'm not sure.

In 1964 the R.M.S.C.R.A. ran at Englewood Speedway. That year the club started running "Late Model type" cars on the track's new Figure 8 course. From what I understand, Dechant wanted to start a Late Model class at that time to run on the oval, but for whatever reason, the Codners wouldn't go for it. Dechant knew that a lot of fans would like to see these 'stock cars' compete on the oval as all the local tracks at the time were running a Modified only show on their ovals.

In 1965, Dechant and the R.M.S.C.R.A. club moved to the newly built Colorado National Speedway dirt track and started a Late Model class there. The Englewood Racing Association was then formed with John Tadolini as president to sanction the races at Englewood. When Late Model racing proved to be a popular sport on the oval at C.N.S., Englewood finally came to their senses in 1967 and started their own Late Model division to run on Saturday nights, while the E.R.A. continued their Modified shows on Sundays. Lakeside Speedway also started running "Late Model type" cars on their oval again at this time with their Compact class. (Lakeside ran a Late Model class for a short time in the '50's)

Dechant was right in thinking the public would like this type of racing on the oval, and the rest is history.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 10-18-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
83x

I think this was 1963, Lakeside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1906  
83x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
parrot

83x thanks a whole bunch for that photo. I was hoping a photo of that car would show up someday. I believe that it is actually 1956, possibly 1957, that's pushing my old gray matter pretty hard, Larry's second year, to my knowlege, at Lakeside. A '34 Chevy coupe, white with red numbers. Remember once when he got into it on track with one of the Malloys. It quickly escalated to their version of a demo derby in the infield when they began running into each other. Fortunately the track crew broke it up before their cars were hurt too badly. After seeing that photo, went home to make a model of it. Fond memories.

Last edited by parrot; 10-22-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: diction
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) From a 1970 Lakeside program, here's Larry's super cool Corvair
Late Model. I think I once read or heard somewhere that it was a baby blue color.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Ken Tadolini collection) Larry Dechant (left) picks up this win at Englewood in 1961.
John Tadolini is at the far right.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) Larry Dechant's Modified from 1964. Larry was the president of
the Rocky Mountain Stock Car Racing Association that year, the very last season the club
ran at Englewood Speedway. Pete Stringer's #106 can be seen in the background.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
rainynite
One Post Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post

(J.L. McGuire collection) From a 1970 Lakeside program, here's Larry's super cool Corvair
Late Model. I think I once read or heard somewhere that it was a baby blue color.
Baby blue/powder blue is correct, with a dark blue #5...