Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Some of the most spectacular vintage race cars are off the quarter mile. Drag Racing from the 1950's, 60's and 70's produced some auto racing's most memorable cars and drivers.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default The Voxmobile

Besides taking me out to the stock car races every weekend as a kid, it was always a big thrill when my Mom & Dad would take me to the Denver Coliseum every year for the Tri-State Auto Show in the '60's. One car I always remembered was what I called the "guitar dragster", although looking back now, I'm sure it never made a pass on any dragstrip, but was more of just a show car.

This "dragster" I remember was known as "The Voxmobile" built by George Barris for the VOX Amplifier Company in the '60's. Seems to me I remember seeing a film clip as a kid with '60's rock icons Paul Revere & the Raiders riding around on this car, but I'm not for sure. Later, when I started playing in local rock bands in the late '70's, I remember this car sitting in the front room of a music store called Strings & Things which I think was located on W. Alameda. The place has long since closed and I always wondered what happened to the car.

I recently ran across a 1968 Tri-State program which featured the car. Anyone remember this?

(J.L. McGuire collection)

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 10-22-2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: '60's rock rules!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
thpracing
thpracing

Default Re: The Voxmobile

Oh yeh...barris cars were all over the show circuit back then...I remember this car was very red...saw it at mc cormick place in chicago and in denver also..shown with the monkeemobile
thpracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thpracing View Post
Oh yeh...barris cars were all over the show circuit back then...I remember this car was very red...saw it at mc cormick place in chicago and in denver also..shown with the monkeemobile

"Very Red" indeed, Kevin! I found this color pic of the car and just learned that the current owners of the Voxmobile are getting it ready to make the rounds again at the car shows. Hope it comes back to Denver for a visit.

By the way, for those who don't know, Kevin T. (the "T" in THP Racing) is a local "rock star" in his own right, playing the circuit around here a few years before I started at 16 in the '70's. He gave up his drums for race cars early on, whereas I tried to make a career at it for 30 years. You rock Kev, I really enjoyed your rock n' roll stories the last time we met up.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 10-23-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: 1, 2, 3, 4!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
thpracing
thpracing

Thanx jerry....I wouldn't say "star", but I could play a little bit...Moose and the guys didn't know me when I played and I never talked about.....until 1 nite in late 70,s moose was working the door at a dive bar by lowery afb... bar had some drums and a few guitars...anyone could play...after a few hours of less than perfect playing by drunks with more thumbs than fingers...moose was ready to start pulling "rock and roll babies" off the stage...I told him "f&%$%&n" rock and roll baby this and played a minute or two of some fast Zep...from then on....when I would be beating out a tune on the car or toolbox...some one in the shop would comment on that "biker "f%#$%&n" rock and roll baby....never picked up a stick again till after I got hurt and my wife got into rockband and guitar hero...so far I've broken two sets..trying to teach my left leg to do what my right wont..the battle rages on!!!

Last edited by thpracing; 10-24-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: 1.2.3.4...wait...who has the downbeat?
thpracing is offline   Reply With Quote