Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Midget racer buried in Lakeside parking lot?

One of my favorite local racing "rumors" I've heard over the years is the one about a Midget race car that could have been buried at Lakeside Speedway after a series of tragic accidents with the car. I wondered if any of you guys heard this one.

Midget historian Gary Martelon mentions the rumor in a 1994 Lakeside documentary. Here's the story that Gary had heard:
Gary Martelon: "Powell Lewis was killed in '46 or '47, supposedly driving a crude looking car that he didn't normally drive. He was the second or third person to get killed in that car, so they buried the car in the West parking lot of Lakeside. Now, I can't get anyone to verify that it actually happened, but it is kind of fun to think that there might be a car buried out there."

(Gary Martelon collection) This is the car that's rumored to be 6 feet under in the lot.
I believe this is Powell Lewis in the cockpit.

The West parking lot at Lakeside Speedway. Could there be a Midget buried here?

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 11-09-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: ....!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Dick L
Rookie

Default Re: Midget racer buried in Lakeside parking lot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
One of my favorite local racing "rumors" I've heard over the years is the one about a Midget race car that could have been buried at Lakeside Speedway after a series of tragic accidents with the car. I wondered if any of you guys heard this one.

Midget historian Gary Martelon mentions the rumor in a 1994 Lakeside documentary. Here's the story that Gary had heard:
Gary Martelon: "Pal Lewis was killed in '46 or '47, supposedly driving a crude looking car that he didn't normally drive. He was the second or third person to get killed in that car, so they buried the car in the West parking lot of Lakeside. Now, I can't get anyone to verify that it actually happened, but it is kind of fun to think that there might be a car buried out there."

(Gary Martelon collection) This is the car that's rumored to be 6 feet under in the lot.
I believe this is Pal Lewis in the cockpit. (Please correct me if I'm spelling this man's name wrong)

The West parking lot at Lakeside Speedway. Could there be a Midget buried here?
That is one ugly race car.
Dick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
webby
Administrator

Wouldn't it be cool to use modern technology to see if they could locate the car under the surface?
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Quick Time

Now I know where the term "butt ugly" came from!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Mitch G.

Jerry Lee, it was Powell Lewis, no biggy, he also went by the name Lou Parsons, did not want his family to know he was racing. It was July 7th, 1946, Lewis was a good midget driver and had driven several other cars with success, until jumping into Walt Killinger's rear engine Elto powered car. But I can find nothing on this rumor, nor have I heard it in the past!! Maybe Rhoda Crasner would know? Weird side bar, in the early 90's before me and the wife had kids, we used to party with a group of friends, (way too much I might add), one night one of our party gang had a friend with them, the guy found out I was into midget auto racing. He comes up to me and says, "Hey I heard you know something about midget racing, did you know who my grandfather was, his name was Powell Lewis, he was killed in a midget".
The young man said his dad, and family stayed away from auto racing after that.

Last edited by Mitch G.; 11-09-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

I think I would have buried that car deeper than six feet. Looks like the driver is sitting in that car backwards. Maybe that's why they were having a bad time with it.

Chuck,
No matter which way that car was going, I would agree it was "butt ugly".
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Jerry Lee, it was Powell Lewis, no biggy, he also went by the name Lou Parsons, did not want his family to know he was racing. It was July 7th, 1946, Lewis was a good midget driver and had driven several other cars with success, until jumping into Walt Killinger's rear engine Elto powered car. But I can find nothing on this rumor, nor have I heard it in the past!! Maybe Rhoda Crasner would know?
Thanks Mitch! I edited my post to contain the proper name. On the videotape, when Gary says "Powell" it sounds like "Pal". I had a feeling that wasn't right.

Interesting story indeed. The car sure was an ugly one. Kind of looks like it might have been some weird old Lakeside ride or something. One thing to note, if indeed they did bury the car in the lot, it probably wasn't in very good condition having just been wrecked.

Maybe one day, we'll uncover another clue.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
83x

I hadn't heard that story. Any one hear the story about Barnum/Bailey
performing in Milwaukee and one of their elephants died. Buried him in
the infield of the race track.
83x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
Indybail
Indybail

Sounds like a Stephen King book, the midget comes back to haunt the track or something - sorta like "Christine". lol.

Jeff Downer
@indybailbond
Indybail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83x View Post
I hadn't heard that story. Any one hear the story about Barnum/Bailey
performing in Milwaukee and one of their elephants died. Buried him in
the infield of the race track.
That one seems familiar to me for some reason, but I'm not sure where or when I heard that one.

One place that I would love to dig for buried treasure is in the dirt under the stands. Think of all the change and things that have been dropped over the 50 year period. Back in '91 when I was filming parts of the closed down facility for the documentary, I was able to crawl under the East stands to have a look. This was before all the over growth of weeds and trees got too bad. There were still some vintage Pepsi bottles and stuff laying in the dirt under there. Now that would be a fun dig.