Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #21
Thomas E

Default Re: Lakeside Speedway - Denver Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post

Since you liked that one, here are couple more. The first is Speed Roberts in the Lively Duece (2) leading Foster Campbell (4). It not clear, but I think the third place car is Grier Manning. The second shot is Earl, leading Joe Giba, with Grier Manning avoiding a Frankie Mantello oops.

You know I got to thinking about that #4 car. With 8 little stacks (?) sticking up out the hood, it reminds of the #41 fuel injected V-8 60 Ford that Don "Spider" Anderson drove.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #22
JimmyK

Good catch. I had just noticed the dark car and the 4 and assumed it was Foss. So, I went to my higher def scanned image... On the white helmet you can read "Ande" and probably a "R" too... Once I was looking for it, I can make out a 1 after the 4. So I think you're right, but you probably already knew that
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #23
JimmyK

Here is the real Foster Campbell posing with my mom, Ethel, in victory lane after a Lakeside trophy dash in 1960.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1960-FosterCampbell-Ethel-Lakeside-Trophy.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	807  
Old 09-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #24
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
Good catch. I had just noticed the dark car and the 4 and assumed it was Foss. So, I went to my higher def scanned image... On the white helmet you can read "Ande" and probably a "R" too... Once I was looking for it, I can make out a 1 after the 4. So I think you're right, but you probably already knew that
That fuel injected V-8 60 Ford was unforgettable.

This is one of the most fum forums I have been at, this is some great stuff.

BTW - Do you all remember "Foss" driving the #44 Walker KK Roadster, it was black with gold 44's.

JimmyK, here's to you . . .

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...

Last edited by Thomas E; 09-24-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: "balck" to "black"
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #25
JRKracer

Hey you guys. Your on the right track that is Speed leading the fuel injected ford of Spider and Grier in third. I remember that car very well. Jimmy has a picture of Foss in the #44 roadster after a dash win at Lakeside. Maybe he will post that also.
JRKracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #26
JimmyK

A shot of Lakeside in 1946. Looks like the Buzzard Taxi #6 in the shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1946-Lakeside.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	939  
Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #27
webby
Administrator

This video was posted in another thread but it needs to be in here the Lakeside repository as well.

webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #28
VintageBuzz

Merry Christmas, everyone! I'm re-gifting a gift that the late Rick Wasilko gave us all back in April of 2008 on the old ARM format site. Let's all take a moment during this holiday season to remember our ol' racing-bud, Rick Wasilko, his son, and all of Rick's family who misses him even more that we do. R.I.P., Rick! ~VB
For Rick's tour of Lakeside Speedway, Click Here
Be sure to click on each photo, as I've added Rick's original captions to each one.
This is Rick's article that he posted back on April 9, 2008:
"Months ago Karma: 7
Thanks to Dale Moore we have some wonderful photos of Lakeside Speedway very shortly after closing in 1988.
I have many memories of Lakeside Speedway, but the following is one of my fondest, and it’s all true….
One of the many nights the family packed up to go to the midget races at Lakeside Speedway over at 44th Avenue & Sheridan Blvd., began like any other night the family packed up to go to the midget races at Lakeside Speedway over at 44th Avenue & Sheridan Blvd., ‘till yours truly found out, my dad had different intentions…that I had no clue about. At some point during the trophy dashes & heat races, MY dad, the number one midget fan & soon to be sponsor of the RMMRA “Best Looking Car Award” of later years had the bright idea to tell his son, who was about 7 or 8 at the time, (me) that he was going to go to the pits to see some of his “buddies” he hadn’t seen for awhile. My dad was the “midget” guy in the family, (not talking about his stature, but his interest in those little four wheeled, fuel powered devices of speed known as the ‘mighty midgets’ of the RMMRA). Well, when my young ears had heard this, and by the time those words made it to my young, impressionable mind, and was digested by my equally intrigued little brain, ( which took all of about the time it took a midget of the day to cross the start finish line, front nerf bar to rear push bar going fast enough during time trials to earn the last spot outside the back row of the four car trophy dash…) I had decided, WHAT A GREAT IDEA! My dad & I are going to go to the pits DURING the races…not wait until after the last checkered flag fell for the night! COOL!
You’ve heard the old saying…be careful what you wish for, it just might come true…Well, I explained to dad, how great all of this sounded to me, sound being the key word here…though I heard him speaking & saw his lips moving, some how the “sound” of his words didn’t quite get digested properly in my brain…because he had told me, kids aren’t aloud in the pits during the races, only afterwards. However, all I heard was, “going”, “pits” and “now”. When dad continued to explain to me what had to have been SEVERAL more times what he already explained, it started to sink in, that his plan was to go to the pits “during the races” by himself! Well, this just wasn’t going to work…NO WAY!
If dad was going…his “shadow” was going too! I didn’t give a midgets tail section full of fuel that it was night & the track lighting was barely bright enough to cast shadows. I was going to the pits with him! Anyway, I can still somehow hear the echoes of my voice repeatedly saying something like…Commmme onnnnn DAD! I want to go too….You know how when you’re young and the more you want something the longer your words draw out. I guess to the point of being so annoying that older, much smarter, way more educated human beings and parent figures finally have a brain cramp of sorts & just blurt out ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT ALREADY! COME ON!
YES!! It happened! WE’RE GOING TO THE PITS DURING THE RACES!
How cool was that?
Well you also know, I’m sure how parents get sometimes, when they are aggravated with their off spring, they not only speak in capitol letters but the pace of their normally brisk walk becomes somewhat elevated in speed, maybe hoping to tire the sniveling offspring out to the point of feeling like you need a drink of water and then a bathroom break, and then ultimately taking your mind off of the duties at hand. But as my short little legs and feet, probably half the size of his once shinny wing tips, kicking the sandy terrafirma of the Lakeside parking lot made progress at a hasty pace…towards the pits, that simply was NOT going to happen, I mean come on, we were on a journey! Right? Maybe a journey never attempted by any man or boy of my age had ever ventured…THE PROMISED LAND! The pits DURING the races! Could this be? YES! It could & it was!
I remember thinking all the way & all the time it took while shuffling along that sandy parking lot behind the East freshly painted for the summer grand stands…how cool this was going to be…not only going to the pits during the races, but getting to ride in one of the push trucks while pushing the cars off for the main! Holy cow! What if some or even one of my young racing buddies from school was in the stands that night, they’d see me riding in the push truck going around in circles on Lakeside Speedway for gosh sakes! What a story to tell…I could see myself sitting in the middle of that somewhat uncomfortable vinyl covered bench seat of ( not naming any initials here just names ) Steve Clifford. Steve was one of my dad’s ‘buds’ and was a regular at the midget races and the Marigold Café that Jim Tunstead was the proprietor of at the time. In addition to supplying his time and truck (it was an old IHC or Dodge, can’t remember for sure, but it had the headlights stacked one on top of the other, finished off in red with white scallops & a bitchin’ chrome exhaust stack that when letting off the accelerator went “brappppped”) to the RMMRA, he also helped out Denny Guillian on his car. My memory of the truck itself is very foggy and may not be totally accurate. I apologize, but my mind was concentrated on more important things at the time. Like, you know, the whole experience.
This all sounds great and a real treat right? Not exactly. For when my dad informed me of how much trouble ALL of us would get into IF ANYBODY EVER found out about this, I was just beginning to get, what I thought to be a picture in my mind of well…lets see…how do I put this…it wasn’t going to be the 'joy ride' I once, just minutes earlier had envisioned it to be…I swear, in my mind…I saw myself sitting proudly on that bench seat looking at all the people in the stands, knowing what it was like ‘racing’ at Colorado’s legendary Lakeside Speedway. As my dad…now in an even more firm tone of voice explained further, that if I REALLY wanted to do this & leave him alone about it & NEVER, EVER mention it to him or anyone I knew or would hope to know in my life time… and if I did he may not take me to see another race of ANY kind ever again…I slowly began to get a different image conjured up in that cookin’ little brain of mine…it really started to hit home. When Steve came ‘racing’ up to the pit gate from the inner bowels of the pits, he had told the pit gate officials he needed to get something from the parking lot, (yeah me and my dad), so they allowed him to leave, provided he return in time to help push the main off.
We arrived back to the pits just in time. Me on the floor board covered over with blankets and coats so the RMMRA officials knew not of my presence, Steve behind the wheel and Dad in the passenger seat. Listening to the conversation in the cab going on between the two of them, I heard that we had made it through the gate. I felt the motion of the truck. And YES! I was officially in the pits DURING the races at the ‘tender’ age of 7 or 8 and ready to observe the Main Event being pushed off, not from the grandstands, but from a Push Truck!
The promised land! O.K., things were looking up again. We’re in! We’re golden! Now I can get up off the floor, sit proudly between Steve and my Dad and watch as this race gets rolled to the green!
Wo! Hold it! Not quite! Now remember, I pictured this in my minds eye, I’d be sitting there, lookin’ at the all the people in the grandstands, maybe being able to pick out someone I knew from school, waving and thinking to myself, how cool is this?
Well, it didn’t quite turn out that way…It was Cool, don’t get me wrong, it was VERY Cool. But what the whole thing actually amounted to was…my Dad let me peek my head up over the dash board of Steve’s truck, one time before we left the pits pushing Jim Tunstead’s orange metallic Marigold Café Chevy II powered number 47 out of the pit exit gate, onto the back chute. All I could see was the top of Jim’s lighter orange almost yellow metallic cage, and just the very top of his tear drop tail. Not much of a view (for a kid) but still cool. Hey it was much better than the black rubber floor mats I had my face stuck in just a few moments before. Man I couldn’t believe the way Steve had to ‘hot rod’ that old truck just to get these midgets rolling. At the time, it seemed to me like he was about pushing the accelerator through the floor and pulling that 4 speed shifter hard enough to rip it out of it’s tranny case. Anyway, my dad allowed that quick peek at what things looked like pushing a midget off, and then I felt his huge hand pushing on my head down and this time hearing the words for sure, get down! I think he let me take a quick peek at the stands as we went down the back chute and by the time we reached turn three, it was back on the floor board.
Again, now having to listen what was going on, instead of witnessing it with my own eyes, I could tell every time we pulled up behind another one to be pushed off. Feeling the ‘bump’ seeing Steve’s foot press the accelerator and feeling myself roll (on the floorboard) back towards the bench seat. I could feel when we went through the turns and was actually surprised how violent all this seemed. But damn it, it was good. It was very good.
Well there ya have it. The story I was never, EVER supposed to tell, and now I’ve told the whole www. Isn’t www.autoracingmemories.com cool?
It was NOTHING like I expected it to be, but even so, spending most of my time on this excursion on the rubber matted floor boards of Clifford’s truck, rocking and rolling as he powered that thing through the corners pushing off the midgets for the Main, was truly one of my fondest memories of Colorado’s Lakeside Speedway. R.I.P."
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #29
parrot

Buzz, thanks for sharing this info. The story and photos are great. RIP Rick.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #30
Hot Rod Angel
Rookie

Good Evening~

Alas, I don't have any fantastic photos to share, but I did come across this Lakeside poster, and thought I would contribute...

In reading the memories you all have shared, I can almost feel myself in the stands, the sounds and sights flooding my senses...
Thank you for sharing this with those who were never fortunate enough to experience it themselves....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lakeside.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1134  
Hot Rod Angel is offline   Reply With Quote